X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mjweimer
    replied
    Originally posted by mike87 View Post
    Below is the latest design which obviously has a new notch to correct any old flap issues.

Thanks for the update mike87 - looks like they fixed the clearance issues. I too prefer the VAC design over the others for the reasons you mention.

MJ

Leave a comment:

• mike87
    replied
    Just wanted to clarify a key piece of information for the community here:

I did some additional research while I'm knee deep in my 24V E30 swap process, and the VAC baffle for the E34 oil pan needed for the swap has been redesigned long ago which addresses old fitment issues as described earlier in this thread.

Personally I like the VAC baffle better vs. the Achilles baffle because it doesn't use pop rivets and requires less welding since it has the two dimples on the one side (actually shown in the photo below) that re-use the existing pan receptable holes. But to each their own! Brian C. at VAC was very helpful and took all my questions in stride.

Below is the latest design which obviously has a new notch to correct any old flap issues.

Leave a comment:

• M3PO
    replied
    Just had my pan off and my VAC baffle is still working and looking good as new (2.5 years now). No mods to make mine fit either.

Leave a comment:

• BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Achilles unit is holding strong and working great in my 500hp S50.

Leave a comment:

• mooseheadm5
    replied
    I just got snaked by this part as well. Trying to decide whether to go through the hassle of modifying it or go through the hassle of returning it and getting the Achilles baffle.

Leave a comment:

• mjweimer
    replied
    Installed my VAC baffle today and like others the fit was not good out of the box.

I had to file down the perimeter metal in many places to allow the baffle to fit without interference and sit down "square" in the pan. Along the vertical sections of the baffle up to 5mm of material needed shaved...tedious work to make right and not open up a huge gap.

As others have shown, I also had to cut the lower section as well as the flap to fit around the oil level sender mounting area. Since the sender area is curved, I ended up with two different width cuts to keep the fit as tight as possible while still allowing the flap to fully seat on the baffle.

It is a shame that this much work is needed on such an expensive piece. The VAC baffle I installed in My E36 M3 fit like a glove with zero issues. VAC needs to revisit this design or take it off the market.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sh3rpak!ng
    replied
    I had the same issue as the OP. I talked to VAC about it and they said they were going to redesign it a year ago. I wound up having to clearance the baffle significantly in a few other places where it also didn't fit well. That said, after addressing the issues and making it fit, everything is ok. But IMO it should never have been an issue...

Leave a comment:

• AllydNYC
    replied
    I got my oil pan back last week and had the same problem. Definitely a lot of modification for a $160 piece of metal. There were a little more cutting needed on other parts needed to fit it in. You can see that on the right side of the piece in the first picture.

Here's the stock M50 pan baffle vs the VAC one:

And a picture of it in there not welded to the pan yet:
    Last edited by AllydNYC; 06-27-2016, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    I think Achilles makes great products, but those pop rivets concern me...

Leave a comment:

• M3PO
    replied
    Originally posted by Wizard13 View Post
    Honestly you really got check the action of the baffle opening with it on the engine. With that said, i hope yours is opening up right and i'd love to see pics of it to see whats different, if you have any, if not don't worry about it, obviously. lol
    I don't have any pics but my engine oils itself just fine. I've had the baffle in for a long time with lots of hard driving.

Leave a comment:

• Wizard13
    replied
    Originally posted by M3PO View Post
    My VAC baffle works great and has for over two years of hard driving.
    Honestly you really got check the action of the baffle opening with it on the engine. With that said, i hope yours is opening up right and i'd love to see pics of it to see whats different, if you have any, if not don't worry about it, obviously. lol

Leave a comment:

• mjweimer
    replied
    Originally posted by M3PO View Post
    I appreciate the feedback - it is good to hear from those using the part as well as those who find issues. I know there have been many who have used the VAC part and have been happy with its performance.

It still concerns me nonetheless and it would be good to hear from others including an official comment from VAC.

Leave a comment:

• M3PO
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wizard13
    replied
    I don't like it either at all. I got Achilles baffle in and fit up and it fits much much better and the baffles can go wide open (hinges max travel limit).
    As far as VAC is concerned, I'm very not pleased. They refused to give me a full refund and want me to ship back on my dime. Not happy at all.

Leave a comment:

• mjweimer
    replied
    This is interesting...I have a VAC baffle and was planning on installing it in the near future as my engine goes back together. Seems I had better make a note of this so I can check fit and clearance before I weld the baffle to the pan.

Not sure I like the answer from VAC...seems like a waste to have a hinged flap that cannot move.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X