Bimmerworld oil cooler cap vs s54 filter mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to decide if it is better to buy the bimmerworld oil filter housing cap with the ports for both the oil cooler and 1/8 NPT port for a turbo oil feed line or if I should get the s54/euro s50 oil filter housing with the lines for the cooler.

The s54 housing needs an adapter for the vanos line I believe and I still need to do something for the turbo oil feed. Based on that I would think the cap from bimmerworld would be the better option.

Any known reasons to choose the s54 setup over the bimmerworld cap?
    sigpic
    Gun control means using both hands
    Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

S54 has a built in thermostat. Its pretty easy to get an oil feed of the S54 housing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by HertE30 View Post
      S54 has a built in thermostat. Its pretty easy to get an oil feed of the S54 housing as well.
      Fair enough, not really a concern in the southwest.

If that is the only real benefit I think I will go with the cap. Already has the AN fittings on it. The 1/8 NPT is already there too.

If there are no concerns with the cap that is.

There is a guy selling a used s54 oil filter housing on here for $250, seems to be market price. I can tap it if needed or get the adapter for oil distribution off of the pressure sender. I think I even have one from an m20 bnib. I would still need to get the adapter block to connect the aeromotive lines though. Cap requires none of that.
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah the cap is definitely cheaper at the end of the day. S54 housing needs AN adapter for the oil cooler lines, vanos adapter and an adapter for the turbo food (there's blocked off port that can be used). I don't think there's any concern with the cap, but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss adding a thermostat, you want the oil to get up to temp - you wouldnt take the thermostat out of your cooling system. Could depend on your use though, street vs race.

Comment

The cap is missing thermostat so for me it's no go.

I'm using s54 oilfilter housing in my turbo e30. Just tapped one m10 hole to m14. And used that for vanos and turbo feed with double banjo bolt.

Last edited by pazi88; 07-29-2017, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Interesting, never thought about a double banjo. Does it connect to a single two port fitting or do you just stick two regular fittings side by side with a washer in between? Probably three washers total?

Tapping one port into what appears to have been designed but blocked is reasonable. But then there are also inline thermostats that can be added anywhere in the system if necessary.

Hmm. Still undecided. The cap is pretty.
            sigpic

Comment

Side by side and washer in between. Getting turbo oil feed couldn't be easier in vanos engines :D And cheap because making the teflon feed line with banjo fittings costs like 30€ in regular hydraulic store.

Comment

I went the same route, got a used s54 housing and tapped it out to m14, albeit I'm using the rally road vanos feed adapter that I had on hand.

Paid $175 for the housing on ebay

In the end it's about the same cost as getting the cap and a thermostat.

Comment

Sounds good. There is a guy selling an s54 housing with the AN fitting adapter that is already tapped for the vanos line. I will use the threaded m20 feed port that goes to the pressure sensor location for my oil line to the turbo.

Thank you all for your assistance in making this decision.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X