Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ended up using the stock e30 high pressure hose and a e36 318 low pressure line (pump to rack) with a '95 M3 rack, which I believe has the same hose configuration as the Z3 rack.
    '91 318is
    sigpic

Comment

has anyone put a s50 head on a m50? if so how is it? is it worth doing or no

Comment

Originally posted by skatebline View Post
        has anyone put a s50 head on a m50? if so how is it? is it worth doing or no
        I think the only difference is the cams.

Comment

Originally posted by Brew View Post
          I ended up using the stock e30 high pressure hose and a e36 318 low pressure line (pump to rack) with a '95 M3 rack, which I believe has the same hose configuration as the Z3 rack.
          Much thanks Brew!
          -Frank
          1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
          1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
          2001 525i

Comment

E34 compatible???

Hello!

Today i bolted the engine with the tranny(both e34) on the subframe. When i raised the subframe with the engine it didn't line up to the bolts it seems that it has to go a little to the back but it doesn't because the tranny touch the firewall protection(that black material)! What should i do? HELP me please....

Akis

Comment

Originally posted by colamangr View Post
              Hello!

Today i bolted the engine with the tranny(both e34) on the subframe. When i raised the subframe with the engine it didn't line up to the bolts it seems that it has to go a little to the back but it doesn't because the tranny touch the firewall protection(that black material)! What should i do? HELP me please....

Akis
              Not sure if you've fixed your problem but...

Are you using E36 engine mount arms?
              Are you using E28 m5 motor mounts or E28 533i mounts (require slight spacer for most people though)

You need both. If you are trying to use the E34 engine mount arms that is why I'd think it wouldn't line up at all. Also make sure you have the motor mounts aligned correctly:

Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

I have a few questions, doing an s50 swap
                1. can you use urethane e28 535i motor mounts?
                2. can you use e30 trani mounts if your using the getrag 260? if so, is it okay to have solid aluminums.
                3. i have a front strut bar, am i okay putting the motor and trani in as one with this there?

thanks

Comment

1. yes you can
                  2. yes you can, just gotta modify the tranny bracket or custom fab one. I used the 88 e34 mounts. look above it's what it looks like
                  3. i suppose you can if you really wanted to but why? takes like 5minutes max taking off the bar.

Comment

For the s50 conversion, from what engine code and year E34 oil pan?

Also, part # for the oil sump?

Thanks

Bing

Comment

Most info is on the first few pages but:

1990/1 -> 1994 M50 Oil Pan from E34

01 OIL PAN 1 02/1994 11131740346

Oil Pump / Sump Assembly

06 SUCTION PIPE 1 11411748150

REALOEM.COM is a great resource.
                      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                        Not sure if you've fixed your problem but...

Are you using E36 engine mount arms?
                        Are you using E28 m5 motor mounts or E28 533i mounts (require slight spacer for most people though)

You need both. If you are trying to use the E34 engine mount arms that is why I'd think it wouldn't line up at all. Also make sure you have the motor mounts aligned correctly:

Hello!

I fixed it! It was that protection the black thing. I took it off and now it is ok!

Thank you for your answer!

Comment

What is the part # for the oil sump in the E34 oilpan, can anyone send the sump pump part link to realoem.com, could not find it....thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                            Most info is on the first few pages but:
                            Oil Pump / Sump Assembly

06 SUCTION PIPE 1 11411748150
                            DEV0 E30 already pointed out the exact part you need. The SUCTION PIPE is synonymous with oil sump / pickup tube. It's part #6 in the supplied link.

Originally posted by whysimon
                            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I found an e32 735i brake master cylinder/booster assembly for about $100. Couldn't you just use it, and no modifications for the s50 swap? If not, what are my options. Right now I have an ix booster and master cylinder assembly, what else do I need? Dont I have to swap out the master cylinder for an e28 m5 one or something else? Should I buy the e32 735i bmc/b assembly and combine the two, would that work? Cuz a new e28 m5 bmc is $200 or so.

Comment

i'm using the ix booster also and the m5 MC, i looked at the MC for the ix and it looks like it'll work as long as it doens't interfere with the intake boot.

Comment

Working...
                                X