Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by drummerchubbs View Post
    I'm sure this is covered, but I've searched for a long time with no definitive answer. I have a m50nv that used to be an auto. Im swapping into a 318i with a zf320.
    1)Does auto have a flywheel?
    2)What is the preferred DD (some drift sessions too) flywheel and clutch set-up. Thanks
    Automatics do have flywheels, how else would the starter turn over the motor? It's just that you can't use auto flywheel for a manual trans.

    They do NOT, however, have pilot bearings. Which is a good thing because you don't have to pull it out. Just use the pilot bearing that's meant for the transmission you're using and pop it in there.

    Comment


      Originally posted by cmeptb13 View Post
      Automatics do have flywheels, how else would the starter turn over the motor? It's just that you can't use auto flywheel for a manual trans.
      Not so. Automatics do NOT have a flywheel. They have torque converters. Starter turning over engine using the "starter ring" with teeth or on some models teeth right on the torque converter.

      If your idea of flywheel is to be there only for starter ring, you will need to brush up on basic engine how-to's and why's. :)

      Comment


        Just ordered a new C101 plug along with new pins. Planning on cutting the X20 off my E34 harness and repinning into the C101 for plug and play fun. I have AKGs E30 to E36 wiring arrangement sheet. Is the E36 the same as the E34?
        Simon
        Current Car:
        -2003 Mini Cooper
        -1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
        Previous Car Count : 23 ... and climbing...

        Make R3V Great Again -2020

        Comment


          Originally posted by 2man View Post
          Is the E36 the same as the E34?
          Close, but not the same. Not even all e36's are the same.

          Comment


            M50 exhaust

            Ok, so I'm confused a little on the exhaust I should run. I have a M50nv. I know the stock cast manifolds will interfere with the subframe, but i heard if I run the OBDII headers with plugged EGR it will clear. Will the stock e36 cat pipe (that comes on the OBDI motor) directly bolt up to the OBDII manifolds? If not, what other mods will I need to make?

            I need the stock exhaust components to pass CA B.A.R. :(

            Or, can I just modify the cast ones easily?
            SEE THE MOST BORING M50NV BUILD THREAD HERE: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=288275

            Comment


              Anyone???
              SEE THE MOST BORING M50NV BUILD THREAD HERE: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=288275

              Comment


                Originally posted by drummerchubbs View Post
                Ok, so I'm confused a little on the exhaust I should run. I have a M50nv. I know the stock cast manifolds will interfere with the subframe, but i heard if I run the OBDII headers with plugged EGR it will clear. Will the stock e36 cat pipe (that comes on the OBDI motor) directly bolt up to the OBDII manifolds? If not, what other mods will I need to make?

                I need the stock exhaust components to pass CA B.A.R. :(

                Or, can I just modify the cast ones easily?
                There are a number of people here who have gone through CA BAR with S50s and S52 headers without issue.
                The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

                Comment


                  Hi there I'm new to engine swaps I've replaced my m20b25 before but now I have a line on a m50 vanos motor out of a 1993 325is e36 what I would like to know is can I bolt this motor in as it sits or do I need to change any hardware on the engine to allow it to fit?
                  (OO]=={//|\\}==[OO)

                  Comment


                    Question for those that have done m50 swap with ebay headers: how many o2 sensors are you guys running? And where?
                    BUILDTHREAD
                    WTB LIST

                    Comment


                      1 O2 sensor on the CAT. The 2 bungs on the eBay headers are for OBD2 setups.
                      IG: @Baye30

                      FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

                      Comment


                        Thanks for the help buddy!! Clears that up.
                        BUILDTHREAD
                        WTB LIST

                        Comment


                          Im a little confused by this coolant temp sensor that plugs into the head. I had a brand new one for my M20 motor that I never used, but its blue base and has two pins. It threaded right into the M52 head. My head also has two ports that I can thread a sensor into, and Ive read that since Im going with OBD1 I need two sensors. I plan on getting another sensor, but someone was talking about brown sensors.... like I said Im confused now. setup is OBD1 wiring from E34 and a M52 motor.

                          edit: just snapped a pic, maybe it will help. There is no 3rd drilled hole in between the two you see.



                          2nd edit: noticed the 2.5 stamped on the head, any chance I already have the M50 head and not a M52??? This motor has a questionable history
                          Last edited by 2mAn; 06-21-2013, 12:35 AM.
                          Simon
                          Current Car:
                          -2003 Mini Cooper
                          -1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
                          Previous Car Count : 23 ... and climbing...

                          Make R3V Great Again -2020

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by 2man View Post
                            noticed the 2.5 stamped on the head, any chance I already have the M50 head and not a M52??? This motor has a questionable history
                            M52s came in both 2.5 and 2.8 varieties. In the US the 2.5 came in E36s badged as 323s.
                            Originally posted by kronus
                            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

                            Comment


                              mine is an aluminum block M52, but it was pulled out of a 97 Z3 and raced before I got my hands on it, so it may not be the original head
                              Simon
                              Current Car:
                              -2003 Mini Cooper
                              -1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
                              Previous Car Count : 23 ... and climbing...

                              Make R3V Great Again -2020

                              Comment


                                Ahh gotcha.
                                Originally posted by kronus
                                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X