Differential setup specs and sanity check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential setup specs and sanity check

Rebuilding my 3.46lsd to a 3 clutch. This will be for my ZF s52. These are the specs I’m seeing, can anyone confirm their accuracy?

Crown Gear bolts-140ft lbs. I was going to torque first to 100, then to 140 and use loctite 272. New bolts and threads have been chased

carrier flange bolts-17ft lbs. loctite 263

input bearing rolling resistance 15-20in lbs

carrier bearing rolling resistance 9-11in lbs

backlash 0.0025”-0.0055”

I still am looking for these values:

lsd carrier cap torque (was going to use loctite 263)

runout specs

also what is the proper break-in procedure? I’ll be using motul fluid and keeping revs under 3k for 100mi. Do I need to swap fluid?
    Last edited by Rugbyfan; 05-24-2020, 06:31 AM.
    "Broke into the wrong God damn rec room, didn't ya you bastard!"

Well crap. My preload on my carrier bearings is too low. I’m assuming I need to decrease my shim thickness. Anyone have a source for shims? Ideally thinner?

Comment

Too low as in 7 in/lbs, or too low as in 'free play'?
      A little low wouldn't scare me enough to mess with it.
      Does the pattern look good?

A diff shop can sell you aftermarket shims.

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Too low as in 5in lbs (that’s probably too low, no?) I have not yet checked pattern as I do not have the ring gear installed.

Comment

Hot damn, by using shims from my donor case (open 3.46) and mixing and matching with my working case (3.46lsd) I was able to get drag at 10in lbs

Comment

My rebuilt 3.46 3 clutch is running well. ~700miles on it, no noise and no flakes in the fluid.

I now have :
            A 2.93LSD complete diff
            A 3.46 complete diff

can I use the LSD from the 2.93 to build a 3.46S? I remember reading something about <3.07 and >3.07 being an issue with LSD carriers but I cannot recall. Can anyone chime in?

Comment

Originally posted by Rugbyfan View Post
              My rebuilt 3.46 3 clutch is running well. ~700miles on it, no noise and no flakes in the fluid.

I now have :
              A 2.93LSD complete diff
              A 3.46 complete diff

can I use the LSD from the 2.93 to build a 3.46S? I remember reading something about <3.07 and >3.07 being an issue with LSD carriers but I cannot recall. Can anyone chime in?
              Carrier cap (and I believe carrier as well) is different between the two.
              AFAIK, all other parts can interchange.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Thanks! I knew I wasn’t crazy. I guess I’ll sell the 2.93lsd and 3.46 ring and pinion gears separate as it’s not worth the hassle.

Comment

Working...
                X