My 24v long term swap :) S54 I Love.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

history
    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-28-2016, 11:28 AM.
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
      6mt gearboxes can run the gambit on pricing. 1.2-1.8k ya.

The 6mt also requires a very new style clutch. This is not cheap but allows you to fit a 335i turbo clutch.
      modern clutch also moves the pilot bearing to a needle type inside the flywheel. Modern 22 spline 6 speed imput shaft design uses "involute" teeth pattern and is designed for more efficiency.

No need to change the pistons on m54, the original ones are made by mahle- aftermarket may be lower in quality. The original bmw mahle pistons also can take boost. Oem rods are also forged- don't waste your money and time unless you have some very specific build up in mind

The Bnb designs e30 6mt install kit is very inexpensive compared to buying the 6mt+clutch+driveshaft. Pm me if you find a reasonably priced local 6 speed gearbox and need one-
      Well for now looks like im going 5, the forged pistions were just to make sure i'd be goof ccause i didnt want them to be the weak link on the R/A.. the m50 has ~90k m54 has ~150k.. so i might just the the m50 pistons on the m54 R/A n boost.

As for tranny i guess something like a 3.25lsd wouldnt be too bad for econ + highway pulls so i'll go with that for now. Nd as you said i'll look for a g250 cause i'll prob find b4 a zf320. I need to Frankenstein a drive shaft -__- know of any 1 piece shafts out there?

Just picked up a 4dr few days ago >=) can not wait haha.
      sigpic
      Alpina B6 2.8/1 Project
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=345025
      Frankenstein Turbo Swap Thread [On Hold]
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255606

Comment

Originally posted by EulB30 View Post
        Well for now looks like im going 5, the forged pistions were just to make sure i'd be goof ccause i didnt want them to be the weak link on the R/A.. the m50 has ~90k m54 has ~150k.. so i might just the the m50 pistons on the m54 R/A n boost.

As for tranny i guess something like a 3.25lsd wouldnt be too bad for econ + highway pulls so i'll go with that for now. Nd as you said i'll look for a g250 cause i'll prob find b4 a zf320. I need to Frankenstein a drive shaft -__- know of any 1 piece shafts out there?

Just picked up a 4dr few days ago >=) can not wait haha.

just run your motor as is; did you leak it down before you bought it/tore it apart?

IMO its Pointless to blow money to rebuild these pedestrian 6 cylinders; if it does not have ITB's its not worth BMW rebuild cost.

you need: 3.15 or 3.23 LSD. Modern z3 parts; not some rotten old garbage from junk e24/28 cars.

don't bother with G250; its not needed. Get a ZF sg320; its the same price.

any OEM e36M 5 speed driveshaft is plug and play for ZF sg320 5 speed + e30 body. Bolts right in.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

you need: 3.15 or 3.23 LSD. Modern z3 parts; not some rotten old garbage from junk e24/28 cars.

any OEM e36M 5 speed driveshaft is plug and play for ZF sg320 5 speed + e30 body. Bolts right in.
          1. The better diff ratios were offered in e24/e28 cars. Most of those cars weren't driven as hard as the z3s/m-coupes/m-roadsters would have been. We've never had a problem with any of the old e24/e28/e30 diffs used in all the e30s we've built. Worst case scenario you get a noisy diff.

Torsen Z3 diffs are nicer, but harder to come by for a good price, with a good ratio.

2. I was under the impression that '95 driveshafts didn't work? I thought only '96 + 328 & M3 worked, as well as the e30 m3 driveshaft and '86-87 325e.
          Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
            1. The better diff ratios were offered in e24/e28 cars. Most of those cars weren't driven as hard as the z3s/m-coupes/m-roadsters would have been. We've never had a problem with any of the old e24/e28/e30 diffs used in all the e30s we've built. Worst case scenario you get a noisy diff.

Torsen Z3 diffs are nicer, but harder to come by for a good price, with a good ratio.

2. I was under the impression that '95 driveshafts didn't work? I thought only '96 + 328 & M3 worked, as well as the e30 m3 driveshaft and '86-87 325e.
            regarding "good price" e30 crowd is the most cheap garbage crowd when it comes to important things like driveline. Who else would be running weird g260 m50 trans mount rigs?

ONE missed point- the focal point actually; THE GEARS themselves.

the GEARS THEMSELVES changed for e36; the e36/7 Z3 gears themselves are more efficient, better items. Gear teeth design changed again in e92 era to be even more efficient. LSD unit in e36 era also changed; the cross shafts, spiders all evolved to be more efficient.

i.e. there are 3 different sets of 3.15 gears, early design, late design and M car specific with M14 hardware.

use 6 bolt 95 M3 driveshaft with e30 chassis center bearing, install 6 bolt flange on diff.
            Last edited by Wanganstyle; 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM.

Comment

regarding "good price" e30 crowd is the most cheap garbage crowd when it comes to important things like driveline. Who else would be running weird g260 m50 trans mount rigs?

ONE missed point- the focal point actually; THE GEARS themselves.

the GEARS THEMSELVES changed for e36; the e36/7 Z3 gears themselves are more efficient, better items. Gear teeth design changed again in e92 era to be even more efficient. LSD unit in e36 era also changed; the cross shafts, spiders all evolved to be more efficient.

i.e. there are 3 different sets of 3.15 gears, early design, late design and M car specific with M14 hardware.

use 6 bolt 95 M3 driveshaft with e30 chassis center bearing, install 6 bolt flange on diff.
              Well truth be told, i was thinking to run the 260 i already have for the time being? save ~$300 for something else? Like s50 cams? & just picked up 1.40 MLS ARP's and 100# precision injectors.
              sigpic
              Alpina B6 2.8/1 Project

Comment

just run your motor as is; did you leak it down before you bought it/tore it apart?

IMO its Pointless to blow money to rebuild these pedestrian 6 cylinders; if it does not have ITB's its not worth BMW rebuild cost.

Being that we got guys over here in FL running boosted e36 M3's running 600+rwhp stock pistons i guess i might not need them. The R/A from m54 in an m50 produces 220hp with cams maybe 230. it'll be like an s50 w/ thicker side walls plus i have both motors here by chance so y not lol.

And 3.23 i know i can find in e36's, 3.15? i might buy a M Roadster diff case though. ~$150
                sigpic
                Alpina B6 2.8/1 Project

Comment

Great, this thread made me want a 6-speed.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

You don't think you can find a ZF to use instead of the G260?

Comment

If it's stupid, but works, it isn't stupid ;)

If you keep the 260, everything works as before, but with more power.

If you swap to the ZF, you have to re-think your rear end gear at the same time or very shortly afterward.

Comment

Working...
                      X