My 24v long term swap :) S54 I Love.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
    any idea where to find this head flow comparison? I'd love to see where its most efficient airflow range is charted out-
    Found it.

For anyone that isn't familiar with Adam, he goes by PEI330ci and has put a tremendous amount of effort (and money) into developing primarily the M54 but also other DOHC engines.

These are his data:

The original thread is http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ad-Development Lots of other good charts and data there.
    Attached Files

Comment

neat. I wonder what a 2jz and a F20c on same setup would flow .. i will dig deeper :)
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

history
        Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-28-2016, 11:23 AM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

history

Comment

O! Have you destroyed a harmonic damper in an stock e46m?

I have.....

cheers, jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason89i View Post
              I have.....

cheers, jason
              wow looks gnarly- was it paired with single mass fly or dual?

what were the symptoms?

Comment

subscribed

Originally posted by ApexGoblin
                well make sure your priorities are straight... e30 first :up:

Comment

wow looks gnarly- was it paired with single mass fly or dual?

what were the symptoms?
                  car is a 80% track car. single mass aluminum fly. stock '01 s54 running dta.

the last track day (90deg) i had a student in the car. end of a long straight (usually shift around 8k.) I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel (throttle lift into the brake zone.) blip, downshift, i felt it again. eased off turn 1 and applied power at track out. major harmonic vibration. eased off track. major engine vibration at 2k and above 7k. serpantine belt walked 2 teeth off ALL pulleys.

after getting it home, my buddy noticed the harmonic balancer had scrapings on the face against the timing hole (bracket thing.) pulled the pulley and bracket, top half of the balancer fell off.

got a replacement, installed, still VERY SLIGHT motor harmonics. pulled the motor, rod bearings are walking on the crank. Have new rod bearings and arp bolt in route.

i have been told by others that this is a common s54 problem. Can be solved through cooling ducts. ATI is making a replacemnt part, but have not been shipped to the states yet.

cheers, jason

Comment

that makes me very scared of using a lightweight FW. have people had it on a stock FW though?
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      that makes me very scared of using a lightweight FW. have people had it on a stock FW though?
                      flywheel is not the issue. heat is. apparently, you need to duct the balancer. I had my radiator pointed directly at it on a hot track day.

jason

Comment

you don't feel that the single mass contributed to this at all? I have never ran a single mass with S54 engine, my s54 killed one dual mass fly though.

my last stock dampener was not cooled well and saw some crazy stress, my e36m was street car though; usually stressed @ high speed with reasonable airflow.

balancer failure --> rod bearing damage makes sense! any photos of the bearings walking? did it damage the crankshaft?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason89i View Post
                          flywheel is not the issue. heat is. apparently, you need to duct the balancer. I had my radiator pointed directly at it on a hot track day.

jason
                          good to know!
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

you don't feel that the single mass contributed to this at all? I have never ran a single mass with S54 engine, my s54 killed one dual mass fly though.

my last stock dampener was not cooled well and saw some crazy stress, my e36m was street car though; usually stressed @ high speed with reasonable airflow.

balancer failure --> rod bearing damage makes sense! any photos of the bearings walking? did it damage the crankshaft?
                            i have never heard of a street car loosing a harmonic balancer..... but a lot of race cars do. yes, you can stress a street motor, but a street car will NEVER see the prolonged stress / heat that a track car will.

the motor i had was an '01 w/ ~30k miles.......WITHOUT the bearings being replaced. after pulling the pan, i found the rods had some movement along the crank axis. i have not taken the shells out, but i am expecting to see some copper when i do.

cheers, jason

Comment

how about the ocassional track day (2-3 a year, tops)? I guess just adding a cooling duct would be sufficient. a 22lb E36 M3 flywheel sounds more appealing than the stock 28lb version.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

history

Comment

Working...
                                X