My 24v long term swap :) S54 I Love.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornung418 View Post

Mice mod. Was it worth the extra weight that the 5 speed could have saved you?
    Thanks!

The added 6 speed weight (guessing 25 lbs) was worth it for a modern shifting box. G260 is easier to heft on your shoulder than a ZF 6 speed!. nothing else in the swap added weight.

The OEM 5 speed G260 that came out of the car had perfect syncros and operated pretty much flawlessly, but the feeling of the 2005+ ZF boxes is butter smooth.

I've had an factory equipped Getrag 6 speed BMW prior (e39 540i-6) and it was a bit grumpy when cold. The ZF is a happier guy in the morning when woken up.

Besides the actual transmission weight increase, the 6 speed did not add any more weight. clutch setup was same weight as the M20 clutch that came out of the car. Modern transmission seems more efficient and the car feels like it it moves "smoother". Whatever that means lol

Shifter linkage is tiny, but original e46 sport shift lever was retained -it was also used with the G260 5 speed box.

Shift carrier and Selector rod and transmission mounting plate / adapter are custom made BNB Designs items to fit the E30 smaller body.
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-27-2011, 06:31 PM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

^What was the outcome sir?
        Work We Do
        CAtuned Feedback Page|FB CAtuned Page
        http://www.catuned.com

Comment

How was Thunderhill?

Comment

Thill was great. First half of the day I shook it down on track, second half I worked on linking drifts :D
            First time out on skid pad thunder hill, very fun. It's not easy to keep going slideways and time the transitions, then keep sliding post weight transfer

Also tested the first revision of Oem 1.3 remap-chip tune on the dyno.

Plug for good local track side dyno shop at thunderhill: The guys at MCE are the official dyno spot for spec e30, shared lots of mapping/setup info they learned from dyno-ing so many e30's!!!

Fee was very fair and I actually got many more pulls than I paid for, well worth the time. The afr's are laid out across the bottom of the sheets.

MCE also has a AWD dyno next to this one, same price to pull as rwd! Pretty cool stuff.

Easy going power, mostly in third/fourth on track. 6 speed close ratio box was easy going

Dyno pull done in 4th gear, AFR and RPM metering by MCE. Considering requesting 5th gear pulls next time as its 1:1.
            Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-26-2011, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I'll be checking back periodically for updates. Great job.

Comment

Skid pad is super easy once you get comfortable out there. I can chuck around my 107WHP M42 E30 no problem. Also have to give the MCE guys props, they're awesome fabricators, and just nice people in general.

Comment

Just for comparison, did the dyno guys say what spec e30s were dynoing hp/tq on average?
                  Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

that's still with the stock airbox, AFM, and M20B25 intake manifold/throttle, correct?

I suppose it really doesn't matter since your M20 is just a placeholder for another engine that puts down more than twice as much power. :p
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      that's still with the stock airbox, AFM, and M20B25 intake manifold/throttle, correct?

I suppose it really doesn't matter since your M20 is just a placeholder for another engine that puts down more than twice as much power. :p
                      Placeholder for the beast on the stand :)

Stock air box. Stock afm. USA Original untouched m20b25 air box and throttle body.

MCE guys felt that the back box was restricting power, they thought I had a stock exhaust (long tube headers and catless mid section is fitted) as the db volume on dyno was not enough!

Also suggested going to a MS or non factory Ecu to get more resolution on the mapping; power also.

The spec cars were dyno-ing similar on hp as my m20 initial chip map dyno run yesterday - they may have peaked higher- i'll try to find a chart of a 2.5 on the same dyno

my mid and lower lump of torque was the difference. On track I was best at 4-5k rpm zone on torque zone.

Top end may possibly have some HP to gain from trimming more fuel out, but I'd prefer to leave room for wangan induced ram air- unless some knock sensors are fitted...

Will do a couple more things to the M20 and re map to dyno again.... Perhaps will be in time for the next event 1/22/12.... :)

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post

The spec cars were dyno-ing similar on hp as my m20 initial chip map dyno run yesterday - they may have peaked higher- i'll try to find a chart of a 2.5 on the same dyno
                        I seen good S.E30 cars dyno around 150-160. Usually the junkyard engines get 135-145

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                          I seen good S.E30 cars dyno around 150-160. Usually the junkyard engines get 135-145
                          And here is the reason why my m20 is dyno-ing low.

My initial mapping for 21.5 lb injectors is too rich (~11.7 till 5250, the spec e30 on dyno is quite a bit AFR leaner). I bet the extra quart or so of oil for track G loading I added did not help either lol

Time to re-map some more and trim some fuel!

mine (rich) compared to a strong dyno-ing spec e30 on same dyno.

Last edited by Wanganstyle; 01-02-2012, 03:03 AM.

Comment

couple of questions::
                            what did you do for the shift linkage
                            the tranny mount/brace
                            headers
                            driveshaft
                            motormounts

Comment

Originally posted by prada88m3 View Post
                              couple of questions::
                              what did you do for the shift linkage
                              the tranny mount/brace
                              headers
                              driveshaft
                              motormounts
                              6 speed shift linkage+transmission mount/brace+Driveshaft = BNB designs 6 speed e30 swap kit;

My car is the prototype for the production kits. Kit has been designed to fit both the new 2005+ Zhp ZF 6 speeds and the older Getrag e36/m46m 6 speeds. Designed for both SOHC and DOHC engines: M42/M20/M50/M52/M54/S50/S52/S54

S54 engine Motor mounts is same as any S52/m50 swap into E30. Use the e36 engine arms and your mounts of choice- AKG/others make aftermarket for race cars/play cars, there are a few OEM options for street car use.

Headers:

My car currently has a set of vintage Hardy and Beck Longtube headers with the vintage built M20 engine.

Headers also depends on your subframe/oil pan choice - if you run a custom modified subframe with modified s54 oil pan, you may have more clearance.

Also the issue of single pipe vs twin piping. Your exhaust shop will need to decide this one.

S54 uses 2x 60mm pipes from header all the way to muffler. No Usa e30/e36 has similar piping size.

S54 headers or s50b32 headers share exhaust geometry, a EURO 3.2 e36m can pnp the header of s54 to the midpipe of s50b32. (in a e36M euro evo chassis)

E30 chassis cannot fit a longtube header designed for E36, such as aftermarket "euro" longtubes made to copy s50b32 headers.

Custom modification to OEM mid pipes is required to fit an entire S52b32 USA engine and its midpipes/cats+ oem shorty tiny headers into a e30.

Comment

for an S54, go with 3" single exhaust. lighter and better flowing than E46 M3 exhaust.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X