X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Andrew,

Real OEM shows two harnesses:

- Z3M wiring harness, engine module PN 12517831637
      - Z3M wiring harness, engine ignition module PN 12517831197

The "engine ingnition module" is a different part # than the E46 ///M3.

Do I need both from a Z3M? or just the "engine module" one?

(I have the full harness from the E46 S54, but it's not long enough for an E28).

Thanks
      Vlad: '87 535isMaytag: '87 528e'88 911Project Minerva - S54 E28

Comment

I think you want both from the Z3. the M3 is a little shorter, although it can work.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by cek View Post
          Andrew,

Real OEM shows two harnesses:

-Z3M wiring harness, engine module PN 12517831637

-Z3M wiring harness, engine ignition module PN 12517831197

The "engine ingnition module" is a different part # than the E46 ///M3.

Do I need both from a Z3M? or just the "engine module" one?

(I have the full harness from the E46 S54, but it's not long enough for an E28).

Thanks

You should be able to run it into the cabin. I did that with my e36

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The E46 M3 ignition coil harness is quite a bit longer than the Z3 version because the ECU is mounted on the left side of the engine bay on the E46 as opposed to the right side on the Z3. That's opposed to how it is with the main harness module which have wires that exit on the left side of the engine, so that section of the Z3 harness is longer to reach the right side of the engine bay. So you only really need the main harness module for the Z3, and the other 2 sections for the E46 M3.
            Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

I've became aware of a potential issue with using the E34 M50 oil level sensor on S54, M54, and M52TU engines, so I recommend not installing that. So from now on I am omitting that connector on S54, M54, and M52TU adapter harnesses for E30 and E28 that have check control. The engine's original thermal oil level sensor should remain installed. The thermal oil level sensor includes an oil temperature sensor that the DME uses to monitor oil temperature. According to BMW, "The engine oil temperature is required for VANOS activation. It provides a more accurate indication of the engine temperature than the engine coolant temperature." So without the thermal oil level sensor installed VANOS may not function properly.

The adapters for older engines such as S50 will still include the E34 M50 oil level sensor connector if your model has check control.
              Last edited by Andrew325is; 01-29-2016, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Also, as I found through trial and error (luckily cheaply), if you have the arc asylum pan, the E34 sender will not fit

Comment

Does the original thermal sensor fit in the E34 pan? I've still got my pan so will have to have a look next oil change.

Comment

It should. It seems to only fit one way though, so rotate it until the holes match up with the studs.

Comment

I've just confirmed that the S54 oil level sensor is a direct plug and play with the E34 M50 oil pan. :)

Comment

Originally posted by jrods View Post
                        Andrew i would like to ask you what are my options as far swaping

an s54 into a e34 535i 1992. I know that this is not a common swap

but that is the way i want to go. what could be done with wiring

harness and ecu on both cars.

Thank you for your help

J rod
                        Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                        I can make a wiring harness adapter for you. The E34 wiring is like the E36. You need to use the stock S54 wiring harness and ECU.
                        Pardon me for being painfully dense, but this means that you could do an M54 into a 1993 535 (m30) also, correct? If so, I think I've just decided what to do to future proof the old girl...

I would want to get the wiring harness, dme, throttle pedal from the donor I assume? Anything else that I should add to that list?

Thanks guys, this is a really great thread.
                        1973 Bavaria

Comment

Originally posted by Brian D View Post
                          Pardon me for being painfully dense, but this means that you could do an M54 into a 1993 535 (m30) also, correct? If so, I think I've just decided what to do to future proof the old girl...

I would want to get the wiring harness, dme, throttle pedal from the donor I assume? Anything else that I should add to that list?

Thanks guys, this is a really great thread.
                          Yes, I can make an M54 adapter harness for the 535i. That would be an awesome choice for that car!

Take the whole cooling system with rad & expansion tank too, & gearbox if its manual. For most everything else use the E34 M50 stuff as you probably already know, and of course get the E38 728i oil pickup tube (the correct one for your engine build date).

Comment

this is awesome. Literally just made an account to get my hands on an s54 e36 swap harness. Just gotta get my post count up so i can pm you

Comment

Originally posted by Masterchoans1 View Post
                              this is awesome. Literally just made an account to get my hands on an s54 e36 swap harness. Just gotta get my post count up so i can pm you
                              Email me at eurotrash8@gmail.com.

Comment

Email sent. Let me know if you got it, I sent it through the forum, before i saw your post.

Comment

Working...
                                X