No announcement yet.

N52 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have an e90 subframe to compare them? Are you saying the e36/46 sub won't EVER work, or that it just needs to be modified to work?

The E30 sub has to be significantly modified, so the question is what is the best subframe to start with. I don't have any on hand to look at to discern this.

Comment

Not sure I totally follow wazzu, but rather than modify an existing e30 subframe like Arc asylum, then modify N52 pan and oil pickup like I did, wouldn't another option be to modify the e30 frame rails to allow an e36/46 front subframe in its native location. This would allow the N52 install without any oil pan/pickup work?

Comment

You have a good point. The Arc Asylum subframe is perfect, but not available to anyone at the moment.

in an ix, of course, I have to fab an oil pan anyway. I've looked into all of the available AWD variants of the N52, and of course, BMW only makes land barges now so everything is off by at least 6".
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
          Not sure I totally follow wazzu, but rather than modify an existing e30 subframe like Arc asylum, then modify N52 pan and oil pickup like I did, wouldn't another option be to modify the e30 frame rails to allow an e36/46 front subframe in its native location. This would allow the N52 install without any oil pan/pickup work?
          I have looked into modifying the frame rails. Unfortunately where the subframe would need to mount the frame rail is at a different height. I suppose it could work with large spacers, but thats not really ideal.

Also, moving the subframe forward has other issues like moving the steering rack forward and moving the LCA forward.

I have been trying to figure out a reasonable solution for a while, but no luck yet outside of fabricating a new one.
          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by jwal View Post
            Does anyone have an e90 subframe to compare them? Are you saying the e36/46 sub won't EVER work, or that it just needs to be modified to work?

The E30 sub has to be significantly modified, so the question is what is the best subframe to start with. I don't have any on hand to look at to discern this.
            Im saying the E36/E46 subframe is almost identical to the E30 subframe. Reason it works in the other chassis is just because it was designed to from the beginning. If you look up an E36 subframe versus E30 subframe you will see what I mean.

Go to post #48: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post13697286
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
              Im saying the E36/E46 subframe is almost identical to the E30 subframe. Reason it works in the other chassis is just because it was designed to from the beginning. If you look up an E36 subframe versus E30 subframe you will see what I mean.

Go to post #48: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post13697286
              Yeah. E30/E36/E46 subframes are almost same. But the oil pan fitment is not about the subframe but more likely where the subframe is mounted compared to the firewall. In e36/e46 subframe is much further away from firewall compared to e30, so it leaves room for rear sump (and better weight distribution).

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                Yeah. E30/E36/E46 subframes are almost same. But the oil pan fitment is not about the subframe but more likely where the subframe is mounted compared to the firewall. In e36/e46 subframe is much further away from firewall compared to e30, so it leaves room for rear sump (and better weight distribution).

If that's the case, could an adapter be made to move the mounting points, then use the e36/e46 subframe to fit a rear pan, while also keeping the front suspension in position in the wheel well?

Seems like the most obvious solution, but the stars would have to align for it to work out.

Comment

That was my thought. Except I would probably forgo an adapter, and just weld/modify as needed. Guess it depends on the smaller details. So then you would probably have to run the matching control arm, and then next hurdle is the strut tower geometry. Might have to be altered as well. I'm just not that familiar with those setups.

Comment

That was my thought. Except I would probably forgo an adapter, and just weld/modify as needed. Guess it depends on the smaller details. So then you would probably have to run the matching control arm, and then next hurdle is the strut tower geometry. Might have to be altered as well. I'm just not that familiar with those setups.
                    If you move the subframe far enough forward to clear the oil pan you would need different and much longer control arms! IX style arms might work, but they aren’t exactly cheap and easy to find!
                    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                      If you move the subframe far enough forward to clear the oil pan you would need different and much longer control arms! IX style arms might work, but they aren’t exactly cheap and easy to find!
                      Yeah plus we don't need anyone else buying them as it is. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

It will mess up whole suspension and steering setup. So moving subframe forwards is not doable option.

Comment

So what is different on the e46 that it works in that chassis?

Comment

So what is different on the e46 that it works in that chassis?
                            The engine sits further back. Subframe is in relatively the same place in relation to the wheel well.

The only good option IMO is a new subframe design.
                            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I guess that circles us back to the arc asylum+modded oil pan as the easiest route. :(

Comment

N52 Swap

Could the original sub have the subframe and chassis mounting sections cut off, bolted in place, then welded to a bent up tube structure to reconnect them in a more suitable arrangement?

The body has locating rings on both rails iirc. Seems at least plausible.

Comment

Working...
                                X