No announcement yet.

N52 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once I have my car actually located at my house I'll look into this. That's essentially what Arc does, so it's clearly possible.

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
      I guess that circles us back to the arc asylum+modded oil pan as the easiest route. :(
      A new subframe that does not require a modified oil pan would work better and probably be cheaper.

I had the OE e30 subframe modeled, but naturally I lost it in a data crash :( Starting to plug away again though to see if I can come up with something. I have some promosing ideas I think.
      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by jwal View Post
        Once I have my car actually located at my house I'll look into this. That's essentially what Arc does, so it's clearly possible.
        Its possible because thats what Arc did like you say. The body mount points arent in the most ideal place which is the issue.
        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Although the arc asylum subframe uses a bent tube to move the center section forward a bit, it still requires the oil sump on any s54, m54, or n52 to be modified. Any more forward and the steering rack is in the way. Now if you put the center tube in front of the rack, it might be enough room to not have to modify the sump. Would be close.

Comment

What would it take to move the engine back a few more inches? Lose the HVAC fan?

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
              What would it take to move the engine back a few more inches? Lose the HVAC fan?
              I think the firewall below the blower assembly is more in the way than anything. I don’t have a 6 cyl though so I can’t measure 😃😃
              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                I think the firewall below the blower assembly is more in the way than anything.
                Yes the engine hits firewall first. You maybe could do 5cm/few inches more room, by modifying firewall and transmission tunnel, without touching HVAC system. But that is not small task and also requires custom shifter assembly and driveshaft after that.

Comment

Im currently out of town, but will check clearances. I think i took about 1 1/2" off oil pan. If the firewall could be clearanced that amount without hvac work, it might be a good option. Driveshaft and shifter linkage already require modification, so that is not a problem.

Comment

heh, lately I've been having the crazy thought of not installing the AWD (for now) so I can get this damn thing running - I haven't mocked it up yet but the RWD N52 pan might fit just fine with the ix subframe. :|
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yeah, it clears the ix subframe by a country frickn' mile. I think there's even plenty of room to finally do the E46 xi rack.

A RWD ix is blasphemous, I know - but I just don't have the time/energy/resources to dick around with the oil pan, and I could finish the engine with what I need to spend on rebuilding my CV shafts. I would probably make it AWD again later, but it's not like I drive it in the snow anymore anyway.
                      Attached Files
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        yeah, it clears the ix subframe by a country frickn' mile. I think there's even plenty of room to finally do the E46 xi rack.

A RWD ix is blasphemous, I know - but I just don't have the time/energy/resources to dick around with the oil pan, and I could finish the engine with what I need to spend on rebuilding my CV shafts. I would probably make it AWD again later, but it's not like I drive it in the snow anymore anyway.
                        I actually looked at getting an IX subframe and modifying my front frame rails to accept it to get clearance. If I had an IX chassis I would most definitely go this route!

I am working on a bolt in solution for the RWD cars. I want to use the OE LCA which makes things a little more difficult.
                        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                          I actually looked at getting an IX subframe and modifying my front frame rails to accept it to get clearance. If I had an IX chassis I would most definitely go this route!

I am working on a bolt in solution for the RWD cars. I want to use the OE LCA which makes things a little more difficult.

Any particular reason you want to keep the OE LCA? Plenty of newer and lighter options now that could be easier to integrate. I see the actual location of the wheel and strut to be the only real concerns.

Comment

you would have to use an ix rack (maybe from an E46 330i, the E30 rack is sloooooow), tie rods, control arms, etc. Struts would have to be modified since the tie rod/ball joint order is reversed at the knuckle.

The good news is they are aluminum, and at least when I bought this one, pretty cheap (because the cars rust away, but the aluminum is solid).
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Wow, that ix subframe sure does leave plenty of room. Engine mounts will be the next hurdle with that setup.

Comment

Originally posted by jwal View Post
                                Any particular reason you want to keep the OE LCA? Plenty of newer and lighter options now that could be easier to integrate. I see the actual location of the wheel and strut to be the only real concerns.
                                Mainly for cost reasons. If you change the geometry then none of the available solutions will work. Its a goal, not a must have, but I think it makes sense.

Do we want to start another thread about subframes for this? Dont want to clog the OPs thread too much!
                                -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Working...
                                X