No announcement yet.

N52 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there is a 2007 X3 in my local PYP, is it worth piking up one of these motors for 500$ or so? Its the 268hp version
    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

For $500, hell yeah - if it's not beat or hasn't sat outside in the weather for a year with no hood or valve cover. I'd give you $500 for a good clean motor yesterday!

Keep in mind they are made of aluminum and magnesium - which corrode much worse than steel. If it looks like a rusty pile of scrap, run away - although that's not likely to be a problem in CA. Yes, aluminum does rust. ;)

Also, the difference between the 255bhp and 270bhp (or whatever, metric conversions..) is nearly completely all in software. The only other accountable difference is minor changes in exhaust.

Even the 215bhp 325i has the same block, pistons and head as the top end motors - BMW just purposefully nerfed and detuned the N52 in most cars to appear weaker than they really are compared to their turbo brother, the N54.
      Last edited by nando; 04-29-2019, 11:17 PM.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Is it possible to use the N52 swap parts on a N54?

Eg. oilpan/pickup and engine arms.

Comment

oil pan I think is the same, but it doesn't fit the E30 without mods. I don't think they're the same as the N54, but neither N52 nor N54 mount arms will fit the E30 anyway.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            oil pan I think is the same, but it doesn't fit the E30 without mods. I don't think they're the same as the N54, but neither N52 nor N54 mount arms will fit the E30 anyway.
            Ok, I was thinking in the event you already had an N52 swapped into an E30 and wanted to move to a N54. If oilpan and arms could be re-used that would save a lot of work.

Comment

the AC is on the other side of the block on the N54, so I think the mount arm positions are different too. But you could just look at the mount arm part #s for the 328i/335i and see if any of them match.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

On the topic of ITBs, what's really the point.. Doesn't the N52 not need a TB at all. Why not just cut the intake, and print stacks for it. I even found reference too it on that e90forum N52 motor build.
                91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
                  On the topic of ITBs, what's really the point.. Doesn't the N52 not need a TB at all. Why not just cut the intake, and print stacks for it. I even found reference too it on that e90forum N52 motor build.
                  Did you totally gloss over the posts I made about lacking any sort of backup for VVT failure? Also the throttle is used to generate vacuum at idle, and probably during overrun for engine braking - yes, you could just run it with open trumpets and no throttle at all (it's been done already). It just wouldn't be optimal, and if the eccentric shaft sensor fails or something else goes awry, you're screwed.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

BMW's have lots of expensive ways to strand you... What's new?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                      BMW's have lots of expensive ways to strand you... What's new?
                      I'm not sure what you mean. If you have a throttle as a backup you're not going to be stranded. That's the point. Even so, eccentric shaft / VVT failures are really rare, so you could choose to roll the dice and probably would never have an issue.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If the eccentric shaft position sensor fails, you're DIW (There's no redundancy or limp mode?)
                        If the eccentric shaft gets stuck at idle, you might as well be DIW, even if you have a throttle.
                        What's the difference?

With the proliferation of roadside assistance bundled with auto insurance, I'm less concerned about having a frankencar die on me in the middle of BFE than I used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                          If the eccentric shaft position sensor fails, you're DIW (There's no redundancy or limp mode?)
                          If the eccentric shaft gets stuck at idle, you might as well be DIW, even if you have a throttle.
                          What's the difference?

With the proliferation of roadside assistance bundled with auto insurance, I'm less concerned about having a frankencar die on me in the middle of BFE than I used to be.
                          No. If the sensor fails, the vvt motor moves to full lift and the engine is controlled by the the throttle instead. The sensor doesn't get "stuck". It either works or it doesn't.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Can you give me with best way to go about doing e46 compact swap please ? Doner car?

Comment

E46 swap should be much easier, as the N52 pan and oil pickup can probably remain stock. Google the e36 N52 swap, as its more similar to the e46 than the e30 is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbeeng View Post
                                Can you give me with best way to go about doing e46 compact swap please ? Doner car?
                                N52 Z4 donor would be ideal. Those have the same subframe as the E46 and engine electronics are in the same location as the E46. Would probably need to rig up something for power steering using the E90 pump and maybe X3 hoses (Z4 has EPS).

Comment

Working...
                                X