N52 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cwlo
    Have you put together a guide for the N52 swap? How did you get the bi-vanos and the rest to work in the E30? Please do post links if you can. Thanks a lot!

Comment

I started writing up a guide, but most of the info is in this thread. I am running it with the stock dme so there is no exotic tuning required. I got the ews deleted by nando, or you can install with cas and key.

Comment

Hmmm, this is an intriguing proposition for my basketcase 318is slicktop. Was thinking of pulling the popped m42 for an m52 alloy, but why not complicate the project right?

You guys are doing some good stuff here!
        86 schwarz s52 euro/ht coupe | 91 silber 318is slicktop | 85 schwarz coupe canvas | 1st gen tundra
        -Peter

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
          Here are a few pics. Still need to finalize the wiring and a few other bits, but mostly complete.

I will do a write up of the whole swap while its still somewhat fresh in my head. What is the best way to create a fairly long thread on this forum?
          Any idea on when you will do the write up?

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
            I started writing up a guide, but most of the info is in this thread. I am running it with the stock dme so there is no exotic tuning required. I got the ews deleted by nando, or you can install with cas and key.
            Maybe just a 'parts list' would be helpful? This thread does contain everything, but having 'one location' for all the 'bits' you used would be awesome.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with this N52 swap. I bought my E30 with the N52 in mind, because of this thread.

Luke

Comment

cwlo I’m assuming you used the ZF 6 speed (GS6-37BZ)? Do you mind telling me about the propshaft/guibo size? I believe it’s a 96mm output flange on the trans and e30 prop is a 78mm?

edit: looked back and saw the Z4 front and e36 rear. Will have to use forcedfirebird’s idea of a frankenshaft because I won’t be able to find an auto m3 shaft in the UK.
              Last edited by Saturnblau; 01-30-2020, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Yes, the 6 speed from the 330i. You need the front driveshaft section from a z4, and rear from the e36 M3 Automatic. You are correct in that the stock e30 will not fit the output flange of trans. The shift rod needs to be shortened, and slightly clocked over...like 15 degrees. Best way is to cut the rod to length, and then tack together to set the proper clock degrees you need for your application....then complete welding once its set up properly. There is someone who sells this item as we. If you search for e30 6 speed swap, you'll find any more info you need. For diff ratio, I recommend the 3.25 or 3.46.

Comment

Working...
                X