N52 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N52 Swap

Well, it looks like a lot of the electronic issues of an N52 swap have been solved recently. (ews delete, Gpeterson CAN controller, and the 318ti swap that was done.) So, I am going to get a hold of an N52, and see how difficult it will be to fit in the E30.

Using an Arc asylum modified subframe, I will be looking to see if a rear sump N52 oil pan can be modified to work. I am expecting the sump will have to be reduced in size a bit to fit between the subframe, but that should not be too difficult to resolve. Issue I am wondering about it the oil pump pickup. Judging by the diagram on realoem, it might need to be lengthened if the sump is made smaller, and if it is plastic like I heard, a solution will be a little more difficult. Just guessing at this point. Other question I have is if the intake manifold will encroach on the brake booster. From the looks of it, it will be close.

Anyway, I am open to all advice at this point, and hope to get an engine in my hands in the next couple weeks. I'll post pics as it progresses.

Chris

good news is that there is steel oil pan for N52, so it can be modified using regular welder and some sheet metal. Oil pickup is plastic, but I think you can use steel pickup out of M54 and mod it to fit, extend it..etc.

Comment

Is the physical fit now the hardest part of this swap? That would be great news, everything can be massaged. Subscribed!

Comment

Thanks Desert, Good and helpful info!

As with any swap, there are compromises. I am looking forward to seeing how everything fits together on this swap. I've measured the intake manifold, and compared it to my m54, but its hard to get an accurate reading in the car. It does look like its pretty close though, and definitely smaller than an S54. Time will tell.....It looks like I'll be getting the N52 later next week.

Anyway, considering you can get a reliable 300bhp out of an N52 with a few mods nowadays, it will be an awesome combo.....sort of a cross between an S54 and M54, and lighter than both.

Comment

I have some N52 heads, a crank, a block and some MAHLE Motorsport pistons from an old World Challenge team if you guys want to mess with them. I would sell cheap
          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Any idea if they used different cams? Always been curious if they were OEM or not.
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I'll be watching your progress
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Does the N52 have a solid Motorsports pedigree? Any achilles-heels like the m54 oil pump shaft?

Comment

JB might be able to answer the Motorsport durability better than I.

I have a couple X3's with the N52 and I just love the torque, smoothness, and willingness to rev. Looking at the block, it is quite a step up in rigidity from the M54, with the crank girdle. Doesn't have the harmonic issue like the M54 that I am aware of either.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                    Does the N52 have a solid Motorsports pedigree? Any achilles-heels like the m54 oil pump shaft?

Early engines had valve lifter noise issue that was corrected in late 2008 production cars.

Comment

Turner raced the N52 in Grand Am/Koni challenge.
                      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                        Turner raced the N52 in Grand Am/Koni challenge.
                        I searched all over but couldnt find anything other than a few youtube videos about these cars.

Im really curious of the specs
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                          Early engines had valve lifter noise issue that was corrected in late 2008 production cars.
                          ^^^^^^^^
                          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            I searched all over but couldnt find anything other than a few youtube videos about these cars.

Im really curious of the specs
                            It's not going to be widely publicized. The motors I have are old Sunbelt pieces from Turner/Bimmerworld cars which ran World Challenge and Grand Am/Conti before the turbo cars came around. If I'm not mistaken they stopped using Sunbelt and started using Roush-Yates around 2013 or 14 but I could be completely wrong on that, I never worked for either team just talked to people who did.

What I have looks like stock cams, aftermarket pistons, but haven't really looked at what else is there
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

So I got a hold of a really nice 45k N52 very inexpensively. Popping the valve cover confirms its age, so hopefully its all good!

I put on the Z4 engine mount arms, but they do not place the engine well. Engine is about 2" too far forward, and also a bit too high. Probably have to make something custom. In a way, this is a good development, as the Arc Asylum subframe placement was requiring a couple inches of the oil pan to be removed. By being able to go back 2", it might eliminate/reduce oil pan modification, and more importantly, having to fab an oil pickup tube. Will see as this progresses. Brake Booster will be tight, and is another one that will become clearer in time, but I can always go to an N54 intake manifold, which should allow most boosters to fit.

Stay tuned.

Chris
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X