N52 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cwlo
    Have you put together a guide for the N52 swap? How did you get the bi-vanos and the rest to work in the E30? Please do post links if you can. Thanks a lot!

Comment

I started writing up a guide, but most of the info is in this thread. I am running it with the stock dme so there is no exotic tuning required. I got the ews deleted by nando, or you can install with cas and key.

Comment

Hmmm, this is an intriguing proposition for my basketcase 318is slicktop. Was thinking of pulling the popped m42 for an m52 alloy, but why not complicate the project right?

You guys are doing some good stuff here!
        -Peter
        '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
        '91 318is slicktop project
        '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
        '00 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
          Here are a few pics. Still need to finalize the wiring and a few other bits, but mostly complete.

I will do a write up of the whole swap while its still somewhat fresh in my head. What is the best way to create a fairly long thread on this forum?
          Any idea on when you will do the write up?

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
            I started writing up a guide, but most of the info is in this thread. I am running it with the stock dme so there is no exotic tuning required. I got the ews deleted by nando, or you can install with cas and key.
            Maybe just a 'parts list' would be helpful? This thread does contain everything, but having 'one location' for all the 'bits' you used would be awesome.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with this N52 swap. I bought my E30 with the N52 in mind, because of this thread.

Luke

Comment

cwlo I’m assuming you used the ZF 6 speed (GS6-37BZ)? Do you mind telling me about the propshaft/guibo size? I believe it’s a 96mm output flange on the trans and e30 prop is a 78mm?

edit: looked back and saw the Z4 front and e36 rear. Will have to use forcedfirebird’s idea of a frankenshaft because I won’t be able to find an auto m3 shaft in the UK.
              Last edited by Saturnblau; 01-30-2020, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Yes, the 6 speed from the 330i. You need the front driveshaft section from a z4, and rear from the e36 M3 Automatic. You are correct in that the stock e30 will not fit the output flange of trans. The shift rod needs to be shortened, and slightly clocked over...like 15 degrees. Best way is to cut the rod to length, and then tack together to set the proper clock degrees you need for your application....then complete welding once its set up properly. There is someone who sells this item as we. If you search for e30 6 speed swap, you'll find any more info you need. For diff ratio, I recommend the 3.25 or 3.46.

Comment

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Has anyone read this thread? the 318ti is pretty similar to E30
                  91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                  Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                  E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                  "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

As far as I know the E36ti models have very similar rear suspension to the E30, but the front end is a lot more like the E36, which in turn is a lot more like the E46 - so the swap from a Z4 wouldn't be too challenging?

Still no clue on how hard/easy getting the N52 into the E30 was for CWLO :P

Comment

I don't think the mechanical aspect of the swap has ever been a mystery.

Comment

Any updates on OPs swap?

Comment

Car has been running great for a few years now.

There is also a successful N54 swap where the owner modified the subframe to allow the steering rack to sit forward enough to allow the oil pan to remain untouched. Definitely the way to go if it doesn't upset the steering geometry too much.

Comment

Hello most cunning and industrious people. I entered this thread maybe six months ago with e46 compact swap aspirations. Back here now the owner of a unmolested e36 323i coupe for my new roadcar build
                            not of catching up to do.you have been busy
                            First up is to find relevant information regarding to pr not to delete dme
                            So I can get a parts list formulated
                            z43

Comment

Was that a private message.
                              was meant to go on the thread
                              this is new to me

Comment

Can anyone provide me with the total height of the N52 (oil pan bottom to highest point)--or if it is any taller than the S52? I'd like to drop the N52 in my Triumph TR6 to drop weight and reduce steering effort at low speeds--no power steering in a TR6. The other measurement that would be helpful is width from intake boot to center of engine. The S52 intake boot is up again my master cylinder and wheel arch--see picture.
                                BTW great install CWLO.

Comment

Working...
                                X