No announcement yet.

N52 Swap (RHD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea it was a brief panic when I thought I might be missing something that I'd need to move one of my engine goo's. I can't imagine cutting 1200 lbs off the curb weight of the vehicle is going to require tracking that part down.

Comment

It is indeed an oil cooler. Works by counter flowing the coolant against the oil so in theory it warms the oil up quicker from cold start and then cools the oil when it’s at running temp.

Downside is that the gaskets seem to disintegrate and then you get oil and coolant mixing leading people to think the head gasket has gone.

It’s definitely on UK E90s though I’m not sure about 325’s. Deleting it would give more clearance for the cooling fans and I can’t see it being an issue for a street driven car.

Comment

There is also an adapter for an air cooled oil cooler bmw used in n54/55 engines. The adapter is a bit smaller & has a thermostat built into it. There are ones that use top & bottom outlets for the lines, you would just need adapters for an fittings.

Comment

I have seen one person who’s run AN lines to an aftermarket air cooler so that’s also an option.

So I’m making slow progress but haven’t taken many pictures as it’s all small stuff. I’m thinking ahead and really would like an oil temp display of some sort and I’ve read
          gpeterson can help with decoding the can data?

would love to hear more about your boards if you see this?

Comment

Oil temp CAN data (and everything else) should be the same as the E46. The DME is set to can11h mode for the swap.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Any shots of how the the N54 intake manifold will sit with the brake booster?

Comment

Working...
              X