Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    I am doing my set today or tomorrow, might just do a write up.

Leave a comment:

• iXBeater
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    I strip the boots and use a couple gallons of fuel. Since we have cars come in the shop that sit for extended periods, there's always fouled gas to use up. Brake clean would be far more expensive than even purchasing a couple gallons for the job. When finished you can just let it evaporate and the grease will be left in the bottom of the bucket.
    So just soak the ends and then scrub kind of thing? Is there a DIY write-up on the iX anywhere out there? I've seen a couple non-BMW vids on YouTube, but...

I've also heard mineral oil works well, but guessing that's pricey too.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    I strip the boots and use a couple gallons of fuel. Since we have cars come in the shop that sit for extended periods, there's always fouled gas to use up. Brake clean would be far more expensive than even purchasing a couple gallons for the job. When finished you can just let it evaporate and the grease will be left in the bottom of the bucket.

Leave a comment:

• E30andy
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    Empi and GKN is the way to go. We have been running the endurance car (original 158k miles car) since 2014. Four to five 14-24hr races per year. They started showing cracks in the bellows two races ago, but neglected them until tonight. We will be servicing them with GKN kits for the race in 2 weeks. Can report the findings, but based on experience, they will last a few years to come.

More importantly than the boot type/composition, be sure to completely remove all of the old grease when re-booting axles. Some grease compositions don't jive with each other and can actually cause friction surfaces - and of course, make sure the boots aren't rubbing on anything in the full swing of the axles. Many f the lesser brands have exceptionally large bellows that may rub the shock during trailing arm swing.
    Any thought on the best Way to remove all the old grease? Is brake clean a good option?

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Empi and GKN is the way to go. We have been running the endurance car (original 158k miles car) since 2014. Four to five 14-24hr races per year. They started showing cracks in the bellows two races ago, but neglected them until tonight. We will be servicing them with GKN kits for the race in 2 weeks. Can report the findings, but based on experience, they will last a few years to come.

More importantly than the boot type/composition, be sure to completely remove all of the old grease when re-booting axles. Some grease compositions don't jive with each other and can actually cause friction surfaces - and of course, make sure the boots aren't rubbing on anything in the full swing of the axles. Many f the lesser brands have exceptionally large bellows that may rub the shock during trailing arm swing.

Leave a comment:

• iXBeater
    replied
    Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
    Just tore another one. 3rd or 4th time I’ve had to change them....I’m guessing there still is no silicone option for the ix’s yet?
    Anything unusual about the boot-process on the iX?

I'm hoping it isn't much different than this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-ofMoWsr0&t=114s

If there's an iX-specific DIY out there, I'd appreciate a link :)

Leave a comment:

• audiquattrot
    replied
    Just tore another one. 3rd or 4th time I’ve had to change them....I’m guessing there still is no silicone option for the ix’s yet?

Leave a comment:

• AWDE30
    replied
    This is disappointing seeing as I had them all replaced two years ago and have yet to drive the car since. Even more disappointing is the fact that I have two more full sets of the oem equiventlents as backstock some of them are even labeled as Ford as I believed the part manufacturer reused the same part on a focus years later. Would you guys think that giving the non BMW ones some sorta of soaking coat of a protectant would help soften them up? I would think it'd be worth a shot to try and prolong their life before buying the BMW ones. Maybe giving them protectant might help prolong the life of them. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by AWDE30; 10-21-2012, 10:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• audiquattrot
    replied
    Originally posted by future rs View Post
    Good luck!

simply based off the feel and material my money is on the OEM boots lasting longer.
    thanks man!

Leave a comment:

• future rs
    replied
    Good luck!

simply based off the feel and material my money is on the OEM boots lasting longer.

Leave a comment:

• audiquattrot
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    interesting find, good to know!

FWIW I've never had the GKN boot fail on the outters or driver's inner. the passenger inner boot seems to last maybe 1 year though.
    yeah the GKN ones on the outer's are fine on mine....it was both inners that tore on me. I did notice some cracking on the outers though when i inspected it last week, so even though its only a yr old, i'm changing all inners & outers w/ the OEM ones. Hopefully this is the last time i have to mess w/ this for a while!

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    interesting find, good to know!

FWIW I've never had the GKN boot fail on the outters or driver's inner. the passenger inner boot seems to last maybe 1 year though.

Leave a comment:

• audiquattrot
    replied
    got the new boots in the mail saturday.....the OEM axle boots are pure rubber unlike the cheap ones I ordered from AutohausAZ which were hard plastic. Hopefully this time around it won't tear on me as easily as the GKN Loebro ones

Leave a comment:

• future rs
    replied
    I am almost positive the BMW OEM boots are a more rubbery feel. I haven't held both in hand but I do know the BMW ones are a nice rubbery feel.

Leave a comment:

• audiquattrot
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    those are the ones I have too. Somebody told me they aren't the same as the ones you get from BMW. they're certainly much cheaper. maybe I'll try the BMW part for the one that I keep breaking, and use the cheap ones everywhere else.
    Yeah I just added the OEM BMW ones to my large order i just placed :(. I'll let you know if they appear to be the same as the GKN ones. I do remember the GKN ones being a hard plastic out of the box.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X