Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lets get some iX mudflaps made. Who can help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lets get some iX mudflaps made. Who can help?

Seeing as how they are pretty much extinct (fronts anyway) and even if you can find some they are worth their weight in gold, it would be great if we could use the networking resources here, and see if anyone knows anyone who can do this sort of thing.

Im sure someone would be willing to lend theirs as a template for reproduction. I also know there are plenty of people out there who would be down for a set, so guessing we could get enough orders to keep costs reasonable.

So, who can help?
    sigpic

yea lots of talk/interest and no action i'm afraid this has come up many times on the Yahoo IX club site ,there are several that have the flaps and a fellow named Peter tried to get a set molded to no avail..... doesnt seem in todays world it should be that hard to get copies or molds made.

im in for a set for sure
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

so you need to source a set, then ship them to someone who can effectively make a mold of them. what would you guys pay for a set? that'll help when figuring out costs etc.

Comment

Pester BMW for the original moldings?
        E30 buildy things
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

I want in!! been searchin for some front flaps...
          /_______\_o_/______\
          l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
          \ #___=======___# /
          -|__/------------\__|-

Comment

Originally posted by ethirtydavid View Post
            so you need to source a set, then ship them to someone who can effectively make a mold of them. what would you guys pay for a set? that'll help when figuring out costs etc.
            I would probably start by hitting up some of the guys on the iX section at e30 tech and see if one of them would be willing to loan a set.

hard to say how much I would spend. I guess it depends on how much start up on all of this would cost.

And when we say a set, are we talking rears too? I know they are the same as a reg e30, but if that could be cheaper than OEM, why not?
            sigpic

Comment

Id frather just get a set of the ones kamotors makes .
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

yes I make some pretty sweet flaps:)

7speedshop.com

Comment

They are pretty nice but I am looking for that OEM look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  sigpic

Comment

Only here for the gloating...:D

Comment

Originally posted by StinkE30 View Post
                      Only here for the gloating...:D

I think you just volunteered to have yours used to make molds if we can ever get there. : )

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aaron325ix View Post
                        I think you just volunteered to have yours used to make molds if we can ever get there. : )

I will ABSOLUTELY volunteer them.

OEM iX mudflaps for all!!!
                        Last edited by StinkE30; 02-10-2013, 11:36 PM.

Comment

are your flaps made from a hard plastic, or are they rubbery?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aaron325ix View Post
                            are your flaps made from a hard plastic, or are they rubbery?
                            They are pretty damn hard.

Comment

I work at a plastic injection molding shop designing molds. Now don't get your hopes up yet. I don't think you could sell enough of these to where injection molding is viable, but I could be wrong. I could possibly help point someone in the right direction, though. Let's take a look at the shape of these mud flaps first.

Can you take some high resolution photos of the front and back of the mud flaps for me? Can you draw on a another picture or make a sketch with some approximate overall dimensions? If you lay the part down flat, how thick is it from the highest to lowest point?

If you lay the part down flat, are there any features on the back like a sideways hole or a pocket that would prevent it from pulling free from a molded cavity? Just imagine that all of the "air" on the back side of the part is "filled in" with a steel mold cavity and you must pull the part in only one direction to remove it.

Comment

Working...
                              X