Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flyboyx
    replied
    i determined the engine placement by measuring the distance from the firewall to the engine mount holes on the sub frame of my parts car. i then measured from the motor mount arms placed on my junk m50 to the back of the head. there is about 1" of interference between the two.

the diff is indeed further forward an inch so that is a good point. the s52 is already tight against the firewall in my rwd car. it rubs slightly on the firewall insulation. i guess the easiest way to make it fit the ix would be to remove the foam insulation off the firewall and "adjust" it a little. that is something i would hope to avoid though.

i wonder if it could be done so the engine is moved back only 1/2" or so? the biggest problem with the engine being forward is that the front axles MAY have a clearance problem with the rearmost ears on the subframe. e30 m3 front control arm bushings would make this problem worse. otherwise, having the engine forward a bit more is really no big deal.

which trans did you decide to go with? getrag or the zf? seems like i remember recently that you were considering the getrag again?
    Last edited by flyboyx; 09-03-2013, 08:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    the pump shows a different part number on realoem but physically, it looks exactly the same as a standard m50 pump on the outside. i haven't taken them both apart to see if the internals are the same. i do have to assume that since the part numbers are different, perhaps the ix pump is a little higher output?

i know my e30 tech thread is full of lots of rambling and the photos are gone, but all of this is already located in there somewhere.

yes, the mount arms fit like that for me as well. the geometry is indeed correct as your pics show. this takes care of all the hard work in placing the engine. however, they need to be moved out about 1/2" on each side to line up with the subframe holes properly. also, if you measure from your firewall, you will see that they also need to be moved back on the engine(ie: move the engine forward in relation to the mount arms) an inch or so to clear (the firewall). basically, the e34 m50 mount arms are a great start as you can see there. however, they need to be widened and moved back to actually work. my plan is to make 1/4" plate steel adapter brackets and place them between the block and mount arms. very simple (almost) one dimensional fabrication.

as far as motor mounts are concerned, you are going to need to experiment a little here. they will need to be as short as possible to provide about 3/8" clearance between the oil pan and subframe/steering rack. . i think perhaps the stock e30 ix motor mounts would do.(once the arms are placed properly)

i am still around with all my parts and projects. you can always pm me with questions. i just don't post much on the other forum anymore. the members that do post there are still great. i have just become disenchanted is all.
    I think your pictures were already dead by the time I first saw your thread :(

anyway, I'd forgot you mentioned the E34 arms. I bought them some time ago, probably when you suggested them.

But, as far as the position - I thought we had determined that the diff was possibly 1" further forward on the E34 oil pan than the E30? thus, where you figured the mounts should be would be 1" off as well?

just laying it on the floor things seemed to fit pretty well, but I want to have my transmission and transfercase built first so I can really nail down the correct position for the engine. Some sort of adapter plates may be needed like you say, but there's not much point in thinking about it until I know where I want the engine to be. :)

I need to find a chain, front output sprocket and order a seal kit to build one of my spare transfercases soon..

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Great post right there, good info :)

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    I have a pump but need the pickup tube - if you find one, yes I'd want it! :)

I believe the pump is the same as any other M50 engine?
    the pump shows a different part number on realoem but physically, it looks exactly the same as a standard m50 pump on the outside. i haven't taken them both apart to see if the internals are the same. i do have to assume that since the part numbers are different, perhaps the ix pump is a little higher output?

so my initial assessment of RWD E34 mount arms not fitting appears to be wrong - they line up with the ix mount towers pretty much dead on! I have a loosely fit together mockup sitting on the floor. No transmission, so I can't confirm yet that the engine will be in the "stock" position:

when I have a transmission I can check the relative location of the transfercase/transmission to the subframe. right now there's a very small gap between the rubber "bump stops" on the subframe and the oil pan. I can't remember if they're supposed to fit snug, or if there's supposed to be a gap - but with it snug up, the mounts are a tiny bit too far forward. these are also original 20 year old rubber bits so they're probably a bit deformed though.

other unanswered questions are mounting height of the engine and whether the mount arms actually reach the mount supports. but it looks like the geometry is at least correct, spacers could possibly be used to account for the rest.
    i know my e30 tech thread is full of lots of rambling and the photos are gone, but all of this is already located in there somewhere.

yes, the mount arms fit like that for me as well. the geometry is indeed correct as your pics show. this takes care of all the hard work in placing the engine. however, they need to be moved out about 1/2" on each side to line up with the subframe holes properly. also, if you measure from your firewall, you will see that they also need to be moved back on the engine(ie: move the engine forward in relation to the mount arms) an inch or so to clear (the firewall). basically, the e34 m50 mount arms are a great start as you can see there. however, they need to be widened and moved back to actually work. my plan is to make 1/4" plate steel adapter brackets and place them between the block and mount arms. very simple (almost) one dimensional fabrication.

as far as motor mounts are concerned, you are going to need to experiment a little here. they will need to be as short as possible to provide about 3/8" clearance between the oil pan and subframe/steering rack. . i think perhaps the stock e30 ix motor mounts would do.(once the arms are placed properly)

i am still around with all my parts and projects. you can always pm me with questions. i just don't post much on the other forum anymore. the members that do post there are still great. i have just become disenchanted is all.
    Last edited by flyboyx; 09-02-2013, 02:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Sounds great :)

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Yeah, the next step is getting some mounts to check the height and what else may need adjusted.

Still hoping for 100% bolt on!

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Great pics! It really looks like you can just mod the "towers" if needed if its this close.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    so my initial assessment of RWD E34 mount arms not fitting appears to be wrong - they line up with the ix mount towers pretty much dead on! I have a loosely fit together mockup sitting on the floor. No transmission, so I can't confirm yet that the engine will be in the "stock" position:

when I have a transmission I can check the relative location of the transfercase/transmission to the subframe. right now there's a very small gap between the rubber "bump stops" on the subframe and the oil pan. I can't remember if they're supposed to fit snug, or if there's supposed to be a gap - but with it snug up, the mounts are a tiny bit too far forward. these are also original 20 year old rubber bits so they're probably a bit deformed though.

other unanswered questions are mounting height of the engine and whether the mount arms actually reach the mount supports. but it looks like the geometry is at least correct, spacers could possibly be used to account for the rest.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied

It may take some time but ill contact you when i have one:-)

Im not sure, maybe it is? Ill try to get my hands on one either way to check.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    I take it you are using the E34 transmission and transfercase as well?

do you have any spare E34 ix oil pump suction tubes? It's the only piece I'm missing and when I talked to people in Germany they said they just threw them away.. and they are NLA. :(

I hope you have front CV shafts, those are a bitch to find!
    Yes, all E34 parts.

No i lack the oil pump and tube at the moment but i will get them. U want one?

Yes i have two front cvs and two more on the way :-)

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    I take it you are using the E34 transmission and transfercase as well?

do you have any spare E34 ix oil pump suction tubes? It's the only piece I'm missing and when I talked to people in Germany they said they just threw them away.. and they are NLA. :(

I hope you have front CV shafts, those are a bitch to find!

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Have you looked at where the stock motor is?

I dont think you can move the motor back unless you modify the firewall. The m20 is already pretty much smashed right next to it. I think bmw already moved it back from the rwd position, although i havent measured it.

Even the stock position may be a challenge when you try to hook up the heater core hoses.
    Yes but i think you can move it back a bit with removed insulation and a gentle touch with the sledge hammer :-)

Im not running stock intake so heating hoses fit.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Have you looked at where the stock motor is?

I dont think you can move the motor back unless you modify the firewall. The m20 is already pretty much smashed right next to it. I think bmw already moved it back from the rwd position, although i havent measured it.

Even the stock position may be a challenge when you try to hook up the heater core hoses.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    they are close but they look about 2" too far forward.

a guy on E30tech brought up a good point - you could make your own mount "towers", which are the brackets that bolt to the subframe, which sandwich the mounts to the mount arms themselves. you could make them so the center hole was 2" further forward and then RWD E34 mount arms would work.

I don't know what other people have used - custom?

another thought would be highly modified E30 ix mount arms but I think they get in the way of headers.
    Ok thanks! Looks like i will get rwd mounts and try them out!

Yes that seems pretty easy, i might move the engine back 1" or so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X