Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still waiting for data package from CMM guy.

Comment

Before you guys get gung-ho about extensive mods to your oil pans, read about some of the problems that V8 swappers are having getting their modded M60 pans to seal:

Comment

if I have anything done it will go to a pro. yeah, it's gotta be done right - I'd want to send it to the guy who does the custom S54 oil pans & subframes.

my transmission will be here Thursday. :)
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have read almost all the post, but I have a some questions, I have a 325iX that was imported from the USA to Costa Rica. The car is RWD and find a transfercase with the transmission is a PITA. My engine doest sound well maybe the valves or needs a complete refresh, I was thinking to make a engine swap with a M50 with the E34 oil pan, in Costa Rica is easily to find the oil pan. Is there a difference in the front in the ix aside the front differential (My car is RWD and and swapped the rear diff with a LSD 373 from a past car that I had)?
          Jebc
          E30 '89 Zinnoberrot-138 325i M20B25
          E83 '05 Titansilber Metallic-354 X3 2.5i M54B25 6 Speed Manual - Daily
          Fa5 '07 Civic Si K20Z3 Brembo Brakes/Skunk2 Pro Series Manifold/BuddyClub Coilovers - Daily - Sold
          E36 '94 Alpinweiss III-300 325i (Euro Spec) M50B25TU with //M Aerodynamics Package - Sold
          E30 '89 Brillantrot-308 325iX M20B25 with 325iS M/T Swap - Sold

E30 '90 Brillantrot-308 325i M20B25 - RIP
          https://www.facebook.com/jebc125
          sigpic

Comment

You (or someone?) Removed the T-case and front driveshaft? Thereby using a RWD driveshaft with the original transmission?

The E34 pan won't clear the IX crossmember, but the E36 pan would *probably* work.

Also, you'll need to keep the outer CV joints bolted into the hubs to keep the wheels on the car.

You'll need custom engine mount arms as well.

Comment

The car came without the front diff and driveshaft. They used the gearbox and rear driveshaft front a 325is and made like a custom bracket to support one side of the gearbox something like this
              (I am going to make a new one in the future).

I saw that several parts from the iX are the same in the 325, but I dont know if the oil pan and mounts are different.
              Jebc
              Fa5 '07 Civic Si K20Z3 Brembo Brakes/Skunk2 Pro Series Manifold/BuddyClub Coilovers - Daily - Sold
              E36 '94 Alpinweiss III-300 325i (Euro Spec) M50B25TU with //M Aerodynamics Package - Sold

sigpic

Comment

It still has the front diff... you can see the input flange in your photo.
                That's also the original IX transmission, as it has the mounting points for the T-case.

Comment

But my car doesn't have anything in the front, why is the reason that I am thinking in a engine swap, but my headache is the oil pan because I don't know if the E34 M50 oil pan will fit or needs clearance or needs something custom made.
                  Jebc

sigpic

Comment

no the E34 pan will not work. use the E36 pan, it will probably work although it's not certain.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Mmm I am going to find a E36 and compare, is normal to find broke oil pans in Costa Rica haha.
                      Jebc

sigpic

Comment

I found this maybe can help. http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21774
                        Jebc

sigpic

Comment

I posted in that thread 8 years ago. :p

I'd forgotten that he had tried the 525ix pan as-is. I'm still convinced it's a problem I can solve..
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I couldn't resist having all the parts to mock it up. I'm pretty sure I have enough room to move the E34 diff back 1 1/4" so it clears everything. But it's tight - I'll have to go back to the E30 ix front flex disc and centering pin. TBH I don't think the E30 part is going to be much of an issue, I've never actually had one fail. The thicker flex disc was just a bonus upgrade IMO.

onto the pics.. this shit is all long, and heavy.

this is the X5 flex disc and centering pin. there's about 3/4" clearance between the bolt and the gusset for the oil pan bolt.

With the E34 diff in it's original location the E30 front shaft is too short. I have a front driveshaft extension to have welded on, but when I move the diff back that will mostly be taken care of anyway. the sprocket isn't quite pushed in all the way to the bearing, if it was the end of the sprocket would just be touching the driveshaft:

The E30 ix front disc is larger in diameter, but thinner. There's 1" clear between the bolt head and the gusset. However, I think I could cut down that gusset at least 1.5" and use a shorter oil pan bolt, which would give enough clearance to move the diff 1.25" back. I'd also use a bolt with a slightly thinner head (or just grind it down) to have at least a couple MM of clearance.

I think it's doable for sure. I've had my 3.38 diffs packed in a box to send to wanganstyle for months now but I didn't want to bother if I couldn't use the E34 diff anyway. I need to save some dough and send this oil pan off and see it if can be shortened, I'm sure it won't be fun but that's what money is for. :p
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                              15 5/8" from the bellhousing face to the REAR edge of the bottom surface of the crossmember (NOT the bumper) on a stock 325iX.
                              I get 16 1/2-16 5/8" (depending on how conservative I am) from the bellhousing face to the same spot on the cross member (I assume you mean the lower edge of the subframe where the bumper bolts to). This is with the E34 diff touching the high pressure line on the rack. There must be some clearance to the front diff, 1/4"-3/8" would probably be enough.

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

E30 pan:
                              Bellhousing face to axle centerline: 10 1/8"
                              Bellhousing face to front of sump: 14"

E53 V8 pan:
                              BH face to axle CL: 10 3/4"
                              BH face to front of sump: 14 5/8"

E53 I6 pan:
                              BH to axle CL: 11 1/4
                              BH to sump: 15
                              Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will
                              So if the stock E30 sump length is 14" and it's 15 5/8" to the edge of the crossmember, AND the E34 sump is 15 1/4" long, then the bumper/crossmember/steering rack/whatever's in the way will have to move forward 1 1/4" to maintain the same relationship to the front of the sump.
                              I get exactly 11 1/2" from the CL of the front CV shafts to the bellhousing face. however, 1/8" isn't much to worry about, the CV shaft will easily deal with that.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Do you know if the X5 flex disc is thicker than the E34 ix?
                                E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                                E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Working...
                                X