Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 ix pan is here. unfortunately, I forgot it at work, doh!

I was thinking of using a RWD pan for my hack job, but people want an arm and a leg for these things. really, is an N52 pan that they produced 3 million of worth $300? I don't think so.. so I'll hack up the X5 pan I already have, lol.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Have you tried calling around to junk yards? I was quoted $80 pulled for a e34 pan.
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

we don't have any junkyards. the last one was on the reservation and that guy went crazy and ended up closing down.

the X5 pan should work, there's just more cutting to do.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Getting there :)

E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
          E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

What transmission are you using? Getrag 260?

That recent s54ix build used the g260 and a cut pan. Pretty clean looking build.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

He's using e34ix parts so what every trans came in that car.
              My Garage
              Feedback

Comment

Yes, I'm using ZF 310/320Z.
                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell all my E34 ix parts, including extremely hard to find CV shafts, 2 diffs, oil pan, and the rear cover to make your own E34 ZF310..
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Shouldn't be hard to sell :)
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

well if anyone is interested, PM me :)
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I could take it all off your hands, but not immediately.

Comment

side by side oil pan comparison - left is E30, center is E70, right is E34:

you can clearly see the differences in the axle centerlines.

I measured these from the bell housing face:

E30 - 9 1/4"
                          E34 - 11 1/2"
                          E70 - 12 1/2"

I don't know where the 10 1/4" came from but I measured twice and it's definitely 9 1/4".

I also took a measure of the angles, 20 degrees for the M20 and 30 degrees for the 24v motors (including N52). It's basically known but it's nice to have a real measurement.

I started playing around with a marker and I'm pretty confident I can make this work. I'm going to try to hit up my old boss, he's still got his entire CNC shop full of equipment, I'm hoping he still has his band saw. I want to cut the front 6" (just in front of the steering rack hump) and rear 2" off the E30 pan, section the center of the E70 pan, and weld them together.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if I want to use the entire E30 sump, or try to combine the E70 and E30 sumps. the oil level sensor is slightly further forward on the E70 and there's a large empty space behind it (for access to the flywheel or something?).

I think using the entire E30 sump would be simpler (less cuts, less welds) so I'm leaning towards that. the E30 and E70 bolt patterns for the oil sensors are identical so that's not an issue. my main concern is bolt access on the passenger side.

there are some issues with the bolt spacing on the passenger side. basically I have to use the hole locations for the M20 pan right around the axle, one would be dead center on the CV shaft.

drilling and tapping isn't a big deal, but I have to use an aluminum bolt (meaning I need to find the right length), and I'm not sure if I can modify the gasket or possibly use an alternative material. I think this is a relatively minor issue though. I think mainly I need to get it lined up correctly and find a good welder so it doesn't end up warped.
                          Last edited by nando; 07-16-2015, 07:39 AM. Reason: typo
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Nice pics and info!
                            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

So I had an idea, I want to use the stock transfer case and the Getrag 260. If I buy a getrag 260 from a e34 M50 then I have to mount a ix specific rear piece to it. Now I was thinking about mounting an auto rear piece and using an auto transfer case. My reasoning is that it seems auto transfer cases are more abundant and cheaper. I have a spare ix 5 speed drive train so I'll probably just use those pieces, but I wanted to share my idea in case anyone reading now (or in the future) was going the same route I am.
                              My Garage
                              Feedback

Comment

auto case is completely different from the manual.. it's not even the same transmission. it has a different output shaft instead of the center flex disc like the manual has. it would be easier to find a used manual transfercase and rebuild it.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X