Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 maybe.. when looking to buy a strut bar they all show all e30 models except m3/ix. I still cant find one for an IX..

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
      Since the thread was brought back up, does anyone know if you could transplant e46 front diff insides to an e53 x5? I really want to use the e53 x5 oil pan since I'm basically using a M54, but I'm not 100% happy about the 3.64 ratio.
      I *THINK* you can put the gears from an E46 into an E53, but you have to use the E53 carrier, as it is a different width across the carrier bearings than the E46.

The bearings will be some sort of standard parts, but good luck finding shims to do the setup, or a crush sleeve, as BMW never published service information for the front diffs.

A Quaife for a Z3 4 cylinder supposedly fits the X5 front as well... although you have to take the Quaife apart, flip all the gears and put it back together to make it work correctly turning the "opposite" direction.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
        I *THINK* you can put the gears from an E46 into an E53, but you have to use the E53 carrier, as it is a different width across the carrier bearings than the E46.

The bearings will be some sort of standard parts, but good luck finding shims to do the setup, or a crush sleeve, as BMW never published service information for the front diffs.

A Quaife for a Z3 4 cylinder supposedly fits the X5 front as well... although you have to take the Quaife apart, flip all the gears and put it back together to make it work correctly turning the "opposite" direction.
        Well at least that gives me some hope, lol. I found a cheap 3.64 ratio diff that I think I'll pick up and hopefully I can find a 325ix being parted out or in a junkyard. I really like the idea of the Quaife in the front, hopefully that pans out. Once I start collecting parts let me know if you want to borrow them for measurements or mock-up. The E30 is my daily so the parts are just gonna be siting around collecting dust until the time comes to park it and swap it.
        My Garage
        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Also, I have no clue about the ring gear bolt torque procedure, or where to get the bolts. That difficulty can probably be fudged though.

I have an E46 3.23 front diff on the shelf.
          3.64 is a decent ratio for use with the Getrag 260, which can work with the 24V engines with the right front case.

Comment

Originally posted by King Mufasa View Post
            M3 maybe.. when looking to buy a strut bar they all show all e30 models except m3/ix. I still cant find one for an IX..
            weichers sport... it's been around for ages. I think Bavauto sells it with their branding on it.

M3 bars will not fit. the only reason they might have a "different" bar is because of the engine, the basic chassis of the E30 M3 is identical to the standard E30.
            Last edited by nando; 07-20-2015, 04:54 AM.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I got the Weichers aluminum bar :)
              E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
              E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                Also, I have no clue about the ring gear bolt torque procedure, or where to get the bolts. That difficulty can probably be fudged though.

I have an E46 3.23 front diff on the shelf.
                3.64 is a decent ratio for use with the Getrag 260, which can work with the 24V engines with the right front case.
                I really wanted to use the Zf with the 525ix stuff, but if I can't get anything other than the 3.64 ratio I might just stick with the 260.
                My Garage
                Feedback

Comment

525ix comes with a 3.38. With a ZF it's similar to a G260 and a 4.10.

3.64 and ZF would be horrible together! that would work on a 6 speed.

I keep going back and forth on whether I want a taller ratio or not with my G260. it's not like I DD it or drive it long distances. The short gearing is a blast around town and on back roads. 3.91 would still be plenty short, but I already have good working 4.10s.. and with a 7500rpm redline, it would be fine.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    525ix comes with a 3.38. With a ZF it's similar to a G260 and a 4.10.

3.64 and ZF would be horrible together! that would work on a 6 speed.

I keep going back and forth on whether I want a taller ratio or not with my G260. it's not like I DD it or drive it long distances. The short gearing is a blast around town and on back roads. 3.91 would still be plenty short, but I already have good working 4.10s.. and with a 7500rpm redline, it would be fine.
                    I was thinking a 3.23 with the Zf, if the e46 gears in a e53 works out. If not I think I do the G260 with the 3.64.
                    My Garage
                    Feedback

Comment

using what diff/oil pan? E53?
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yep, e53 oil pan and diff.
                        My Garage
                        Feedback

Comment

I think I have a 3.23 R&P from an E46. it's got some dings in it, but it could be used for mock up. I'd like to be rid of it - want it for the cost of shipping?
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Absolutely!
                            My Garage
                            Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              weichers sport... it's been around for ages. I think Bavauto sells it with their branding on it.

M3 bars will not fit. the only reason they might have a "different" bar is because of the engine, the basic chassis of the E30 M3 is identical to the standard E30.
                              I checked for it on their website the other day and it was gone. It was on there for years though.

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                                I really wanted to use the Zf with the 525ix stuff, but if I can't get anything other than the 3.64 ratio I might just stick with the 260.
                                Do you have a plan for electronics to control the T-case lockup?

EDIT: Front diff availability was a strong influence in my decision to go with a TR6060 for my swap. The E53 3.0d vehicles had a 3.07 front end with a "large pinion" case, but those were not sold in the US market. The E46 330xd went as far down as 2.35 with a manual transmission.

However, with the 260 available to you, you're looking at better options than I was.
                                Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 07-21-2015, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X