Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty sure flyboyx did - none of it worked.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

On an E30? I have an E34, could that be more similar to an E46? Or what about using only the hub?

I also ordered an 525ix shop manual off ebay.de, its 19 pages of 4WD specific info. I could scan it and upload it if anyone is interested? Its in german, but i plan on translating it.
      Last edited by Sebbe; 06-11-2016, 03:52 AM.

Comment

I'm interested

Comment

It might work on a E34 with some mods.
          I'm interested too in some specs :)
          E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
          E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebbe View Post
            Im wondering if anyone ever compared E46 xi spindles to E34/E30 hubs, are there major problems with using E46 spindles and struts on a E30/E34? It would seem that if it fits, it would make it a lot more serviceable, at least cheaper shocks, CV axles(if anyone fits) and brake components.
            Originally posted by nando View Post
            Pretty sure flyboyx did - none of it worked.
            I can save you a lot of time and heartache. There is nothing on an e46 axle that will come anywhere close to working on an e30. I took an e30, an e34, and an e46 axle apart side by side. What a waste of time it turned out to be other than being able to keep those coming after me from making the same mistake. Your best bet is e34 parts or nothing.

I have e34 axles too. No e46 axle parts will work there either. I'd like to see the contents of your manual, but it isn't going to help with this project.

They are a completely different design.
            Last edited by flyboyx; 06-13-2016, 11:55 AM.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I have an E34, and i think the design is very similar to E46, i understand E30 is different.

This is for the E34

And this is the E46

I know the manual is not going to help me, i only bought it out of curiosity. It was supposed to arrive in the mail today, but its not here yet, i will scan and upload it as soon as i get it.

Comment

I think nr 4 on the control arm picture is the exact same part on E34 and E46.
                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Part nr. 2, 3 and 4 on the control arm has the same part number, unfortuneally, the ball joint nut is M12 on the E46 and M14 on the E34, so i guess my best guess is to use the E46 control arm if they are the same dimensions. Or replace the ball joint with one from RWD E36/E46, i ordered one a couple of dayd ago, as my left balljoint is bad, but i guess it wont fit the E34 spindle then, hopefully it fits the control arm. The shock nuts are both M14, so hopefully the E46 shocks with fit the E34 top mount. I saw some pictures of axles earlier in this thread, and if i recall corectly the left axle should fit, but the part that goes through the sump on the right axle is a bit short? I found a wrecked 330xd, hopefully i can get some parts for cheap.

Comment

Yeah I think you're right about the left axle, a least the E34 and X5 axle that goes into the diff is the same.
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Maybe i can make the right axle fit by shortening the carrier bolted to the sump? As long as the total axle lenght is almost the same. The left E46 axle should be 605mm total lenght and right 926mm. Im going to measure the E34 axles tomorow. The track width is very similar, so im guessing axles will be close as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebbe View Post
                        Maybe i can make the right axle fit by shortening the carrier bolted to the sump? As long as the total axle lenght is almost the same. The left E46 axle should be 605mm total lenght and right 926mm. Im going to measure the E34 axles tomorow. The track width is very similar, so im guessing axles will be close as well.
                        good luck with that. they are not. you really should go back and read my post again. only the driver's side stub that goes into the diff is similar.

i could sit here in front of my computer for the better part of an hour describing perhaps twenty reasons why these axles won't work on an e34ix. however, i've said it twice now and that should probably suffice.

there is a long thread about this on e30tech. the pictures are gone, but the text is still there.

fwiw: e34 axles are a beefier version but about 90% the same as an e30 axle.

i guess it isn't for me to tell you that you are wasting your time. i can sit back, pop some popcorn and watch this not go anywhere just as well as anyone.

:popcorn:
                        Last edited by flyboyx; 06-13-2016, 11:51 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

yeah, the E34 and E46 axles are way different lengths. The E34 diff is in the same centerline as the E30 (which is why the CV shafts are nearly the same length/dimensions). The E46 diff centerline is shifted several inches to the drivers side - so the passenger side shaft is longer, while the drive side is shorter. It would only work if you were also using an E46 diff and oil pan, which would only work with a completely different subframe & front suspension, along with transfercase and transmission.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Custom right axle with E34 inner part and CV with a E46 middle and outer might work. But then it will cost money so the benefits will probably none :P
                            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the replies, i guess this is a dead end then. My main motivation for this was cheaper cv axles, as oem 525ix axles are like 1500$ and the rebuild kit is discontinued.

Comment

that's part of why I decied to stick with E30ix parts. Still somewhat expensive, but they can still be rebuilt and they're much easier to find. Plus I have 2 sets already. :p
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X