This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mw044 View Post
    Ok. Got the front axle assembled back together and installed back. Swapped the steering rack for another used one, but even this seems to have something wrong with it (when turning steering wheel back and forth).. Something to do with the fact that I'm running it without hydraulic assistance..?

Well here's some pics:

Tire placement looks ok. I used the excentric powerflex bushings in the rear, but modified them so that instead of moving the rear of the control arm outwards, they now move it upwards. Control arm angles look ok. Nothing dramatic there so I assume antidive will not be a problem.

And then few mockup pics with the oilpan:

Didn't actually look that bad about the firewall. Might just fit in without doing anything to it. Tomorrow I'll throw in the mockup engine and gearbox.. then it might be whole another story. However - I want it to be serviceable and enough room everywhere so I think I will end up cutting the firewall open.
    You are a king among IX'ers anxiously waiting the outcome good work man!

Comment

I think you will find it will not fit as well with the diff mounted - it will interfere with the steering rack.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You are a king among IX'ers anxiously waiting the outcome good work man!
        Hahah. Thanks man :D

Originally posted by nando View Post
        I think you will find it will not fit as well with the diff mounted - it will interfere with the steering rack.
        Yeah, it's tight in that area and that is the reason I didn't install the engine as far forward as it could've been installed (oilpan).

Made new engine mounts for this position:

As you can see - Using delrin instead of original rubbers. So it's gonna be solid mounted this time. Nisse promised me that I wouldn't hate it. :D Delrin mounts are same size as original so that I can go back to rubbers.... :)

And here you can see the space between firewall and engine. It's really tight, but engine does fit there (may still change after I bolt the gearbox and find out the exact alignment. Shoudn't be very far off though. I think I'll butcher the firewall just enough to have room to remove the gearbox while engine is in original position.

Also test fitted the turbo:

Very tight here too, but opening up the fenderwell and strut tower it might be possible to use this turbo. I want to have access to spark plugs and enough space between spark plug wires and exhaust housing.

Ps. Turbo is borgwarner s480

I'm also still not sure what gearbox/transfercase I'm gonna install. I got 525ix stuff (with broken transfercase :() and gs6-53bz with atc700.. That atc700 is from v8 engine so exactly wrong one. :D It's has ~40mm too long front housing compared to basicly "every other" box.. So it doesn't bolt on to gs6-53bz.. Didn't know that when I was buying those parts.
        Last edited by mw044; 08-04-2016, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Ok. Ended up with Gs6-53bz from e92 335i (which By the way bolts-on to m20 - gotta love BMW). Test fitting it to original trans tunnel made me realize how huge that thing is. Espesially with engine this far back - there's no way to fit it without opening up the trans tunnel a little bit:

Maybe little less cutting could've been enough, but I wanted to make room for gs7d36sg which has mechatronics unit in the passanger side (read: I fucked up and cutted way too much :D). Still have to cut the drivers side to make room for ATC700 transfercase. It seems to fit without cutting the drivers seat / drivers right leg.

Underside:

Still have to make slight adjustments to alignment of the package. At the moment it's pointing too much to co-drivers side.

Comment

Thats a nice engine you have bolted to that turbo!

Comment

That is one crazy build! interesting to know about that trans bolting up to the m20.
              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

And that's using an E70 Frankenpan?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                  And that's using an E70 Frankenpan?
                  No. Pan is from 525ix. E70 pan is pretty useless in e30 because it pushes the diff so far out. Front driveshaft would go ~through the gas pedal.

Comment

Ahh, ok.

Comment

Looks great man! :D Hopefully you wont hate the increased noice :)
                      I want to fit a GS6-53 too...
                      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                        Looks great man! :D Hopefully you wont hate the increased noice :)
                        I want to fit a GS6-53 too...
                        Hope so. :D

More bolt-on stuff here. E9x 335i Gs6-53bz and e70 x5 (6 cylinder) atc700 transfer case (compared to e30 ix stuff):

Very very tight around the seat brachets:

Transfercase actuator not installed yet. Still have to cut the tunnel for that. Also the drivers seat front mounting bolt has to be moved somewhere else. Also have to cut the drivers seat just a little to clear the transfercase. Still doable as I measured earlier. No major obstacles yet. :D

Rear part of the package is still hanging ~2cm too low. Couldn't get it in the correct height because I was too careful not to cut too much of the tunnel.
                        Last edited by mw044; 08-12-2016, 10:05 AM.

Comment

The E30 TC is strong enough, I believe its the differential that's the weak point from what nando told me.

Comment

MW044 blows up a lot of diffs but hasn't blown up a T-case... yet.

However, this looks like a great way to get a stout 6 speed and a bolt-on T-case.

Does the 335xi use the same trans or T-case? Why the E70 T-case?

Comment

I believe its just a larger version of the 335xi. They wanted to use it but do to the space they went with the ATC300

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                                MW044 blows up a lot of diffs but hasn't blown up a T-case... yet.

However, this looks like a great way to get a stout 6 speed and a bolt-on T-case.

Does the 335xi use the same trans or T-case? Why the E70 T-case?
                                Yeah, e30 tc is good. Haven't blown up single one yet.

Actually that is the 335xi trans.. it uses atc300 (as goarmy mentioned), but those are not that good. Heard from 335xi guys that they've had problems with atc300 in chipped 335xi's.

BMW used those in smaller bodied cars, but I'm in luck because e30 is sooo big. :D E70 parts fit very nicely. :D

Comment

Working...
                                X