Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything fits with a sawzall and a welder.
    That's what I'm banking on.

Are the ATC300 & ATC700 electronically controlled "X-Drive" units? or are they conventional passive units with open center diffs like the E46 T-case?

Comment

they are electronically controlled, not open though. it's a clutch controlled by a motor. It uses a limited slip fluid really similar to a clutch based rear differential.

the problem with the ATC300 is in the gearbox of the electric motor that controls lockup. the worm gears are made of plastic. Yep... guess what happens to them?

Isn't there another one used by the N/A cars? I know the 335i has the plastic gearbox but the 325i/328i has a metal one. Don't know if it's the same transfercase.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Does the clutch control slip like the VC does in the E30 T-case or does the clutch transmit all the torque that goes to the front end?

IE, does it work like the E34 T-case or like the Skyline GTR T-case?

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          the problem with the ATC300 is in the gearbox of the electric motor that controls lockup. the worm gears are made of plastic. Yep... guess what happens to them?

Isn't there another one used by the N/A cars? I know the 335i has the plastic gearbox but the 325i/328i has a metal one. Don't know if it's the same transfercase.
          That's only one of the problems. I don't exactly know what they broke from the atc300, but it was power related.. those plastic worm gears are problem of "all" atc boxes. Same plastic gears are in this atc700 actuator. I don't think it's gonna be a problem in my case.

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
          Does the clutch control slip like the VC does in the E30 T-case or does the clutch transmit all the torque that goes to the front end?

IE, does it work like the E34 T-case or like the Skyline GTR T-case?
          Clutch deliver the power to front wheels so it works like skyline GTR t-case. Rear wheel drive goes straight through the box and front wheel drive is via clutch pack.

I just took the actuator with me and starting to investigate how to control it. I have a pretty good idea about how it functions, but have to test that out.

I will be controlling it with autronic sm4 with hopefully 2d (or even 3d) map (tps/tc slip %) with feedback from actuator. At least that's what I'm hoping for.. :D

Here's pic with actuator bolted to t-case and little more cut out of tunnel:

Comment

I talked to alot of E90 guys and have done alot of research and I haven't found a single ATC300 that broke? Only problem seems to be the actuator motor gears as mentioned.

Some blown 335xi front diffs though..
            E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
            E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Looks awesome by the way! As usual :) I'm also hoping to be able to control it with the SM4 but haven't come that far yet :P
              E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
              E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Very Helping Posts

very detailed reply by @mw044 i am too looking this type of articles

Comment

You can deactivate things from the module if needed using a different program than the one mentioned but you need a little German to read it. I have it in my other computer can't remember the name, I will post it up. If anything the system will go into safe mode and run like normal on pre calculated settings but not sure for how long. The ATC300 actuator has to do a mandatory pre run on start up and park.
                  Last edited by goarmy; 12-30-2016, 06:18 PM.

Comment

But nothing wrong with the E30 or e34 case..

Comment

Here is the Borg-Warner T-case, my dad's previous automatic E30 T-case and my manual trans E30 T-case:

As you can see, the BW unit is a weeeeee bit bigger.

Other views:

Comment

Here's the final position of the engine. It could be brought ~1cm forwards if I lifted it little higher, but then front diff would go behind steering rack so badly that servicing would require moving subframe/engine.

And here's a picture after lot of fiddling with the alignment. Now it's pointing towards the rear diff flange. However drivetrain package is so high now with correct alignment that rear driveshaft hits the fuel tank. :-? Have to move that.. too bad I just made the tank with huge effort. It has integrated surge tank with 450 walbros.. the best part of this car. :D

Comment

Nice work. Can't imagine there are too many ix's with 6 speed transmissions around.

Comment

Wish my garage was that organized. Graduated placement of fluid cans on the shelves!!! Tongue and groove cathedral ceiling - I would never leave the bay.

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
                              Wish my garage was that organized. Graduated placement of fluid cans on the shelves!!! Tongue and groove cathedral ceiling - I would never leave the bay.
                              Hhahahah.. looks cleaner than it is. :D

Few upgrade pics from the Project.. maybe this is not 24v related, but may help someone with plans to swap beefier drivetrain. I made the transtunnel little bit "too big" to make the drivetrain package serviceable as possible.

Plates around transfercase and front driveshaft are 3mm thick. Hopefully that will keep the parts out of the car in case of drivetrain explosion. (yes, welds are horrible :D.. had difficulties with 0.6mm wire and 3mm steel)

And finally a picture how e70 x5 front driveshaft goes "bolt-on" to E30. :D

Ok.. I do have to modify the flange in the diff to 4 bolt-pattern, but otherwise the lenght is exactly correct and if you order this driveshaft with correct number from BMW it only cost ~110€ new (~120$).
                              Last edited by mw044; 09-28-2016, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Impressive work man! Clearly nothing will hold you back...

Curious - What differential ratios are available with your set up? Does the front differential use a 168MM ring and pinion?

Comment

Working...
                                X