Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xdrive transfer case actuator has hall sensor on the motor axle (20 pulses / rev) and directional sensor that tells the direction the motor is rotating. Also there's temp sensor etc.

There is no actual position information available without some mathematics. However - I'm going to install position sensor on the actuator axle that turns the transfercase axle. That way it hopefully can be controlled with autronic (this is not my strongest area :D)

I'm probably going to use speed sensors in rear diff (original) and another one at the front diff (maybe at the pinion flange). Then maybe control it with slip% (if it reacts fast enough) or just to be locked all the time when @ WOT. And I really do hope that it never ever opens during WOT. That could be catastrophic. When I tested the car with rwd only there was zero traction @ wot no matter what speed. :D

Comment

Originally posted by mw044 View Post
      Xdrive transfer case actuator has hall sensor on the motor axle (20 pulses / rev) and directional sensor that tells the direction the motor is rotating. Also there's temp sensor etc.

There is no actual position information available without some mathematics. However - I'm going to install position sensor on the actuator axle that turns the transfercase axle. That way it hopefully can be controlled with autronic (this is not my strongest area :D)

I'm probably going to use speed sensors in rear diff (original) and another one at the front diff (maybe at the pinion flange). Then maybe control it with slip% (if it reacts fast enough) or just to be locked all the time when @ WOT. And I really do hope that it never ever opens during WOT. That could be catastrophic. When I tested the car with rwd only there was zero traction @ wot no matter what speed. :D
      You could set up the SM4 traction control to act like a backup if the AWD malfunctions :)
      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Here's a .pdf with (modest) info about the T-case: http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/e7...Powertrain.pdf

Also, I was just looking through RealOEM to see which applications had the GS6-53BZ and which had the GS6-53DZ. It looks like the 6 cylinder turbo cars got the DZ and the 8 cylinder cars got the BZ. I'm not entirely sure of the ratios, as I can't find consistent info on them on the internets.

I *think* the case is that the DZ has 5.03 first and 0.84 6th, while the BZ has 4.03 (or 4.30?) first and 0.87 sixth. If I have both because I need the 6 cylinder rear housing with the 8 cylinder front housing, I should be able to build my desired gearset with the tallest gears. Interdasting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
          Here's a .pdf with (modest) info about the T-case: http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/e7...Powertrain.pdf

Also, I was just looking through RealOEM to see which applications had the GS6-53BZ and which had the GS6-53DZ. It looks like the 6 cylinder turbo cars got the DZ and the 8 cylinder cars got the BZ. I'm not entirely sure of the ratios, as I can't find consistent info on them on the internets.

I *think* the case is that the DZ has 5.03 first and 0.84 6th, while the BZ has 4.03 (or 4.30?) first and 0.87 sixth. If I have both because I need the 6 cylinder rear housing with the 8 cylinder front housing, I should be able to build my desired gearset with the tallest gears. Interdasting.
          BZ is petrol and DZ is diesel if im not mistaken?
          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Nope... at least not per the ETK at RealOEM. Six cylinder cars got the DZ and 8 cylinder cars got the BZ. E60 & F10 V8's got the BZ, E60 & F10 535i's got the DZ, E90 335i's got the DZ

Comment

I haven't found a diesel with a manual transmission after the E46

Comment

I haven't found a diesel with a manual transmission after the E46
                They're everywhere overseas.

Comment

Even the e90/e91 335d was offered as a manual over here if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Nope... at least not per the ETK at RealOEM. Six cylinder cars got the DZ and 8 cylinder cars got the BZ. E60 & F10 V8's got the BZ, E60 & F10 535i's got the DZ, E90 335i's got the DZ
                    GS6-37BZ (new designation according to BMW Group Standard GS 90007)
                    G drive
                    S Transmission type. S = Manual transmission. A = Automatic transmission
                    6 Number of forward gears
                    - = Standard with manual gearshift. HP = Hydraulic planetary gear
                    37 Transmission type. 26 = D-transmission. 31 = C-transmission. 39 = F-transmission. 37 = H-transmission. 53 = G-transmission
                    B Gear set. B = Petrol/gasoline gear ratio. D = Diesel gear ratio
                    Z Code letter of transmission manufacturer. G = Getrag. Z = ZF (Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen)
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by iXguido View Post
                      Even the e90/e91 335d was offered as a manual over here if I'm not mistaken.
                      RealOEM disagrees:

No manual transmission listed for US cars:

No manual transmission listed for Euro cars:

I initially only checked 335d's, but the 325d's and 330d's do come with -53DZ's

But that doesn't change the fact that all the turbo 6 cylinder gas cars that I checked on *also* came with the DZ trans, and only the V8's received the BZ.
                      BMW did eventually "downgrade" the turbo 6's to the GS6-45BZ, and entirely stopped offering manual transmissions with the V8's.

Comment

Just an FYI - if you're looking at transmissions from later BMWs, they have a shorter input shaft - and the pilot bearing is part of the flywheel, rather than going into the crank. Basically any of the "N" series motors have transmissions with the shorter shaft. And at least some quantity of those engines have flywheels with a 6 bolt pattern instead of 8.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I haven't discussed a clutch much yet because I was expecting to use a Tilton or Quartermaster dual disk 7.25" unit. I'd use an M62 flexplate with a custom made "button" bolted down on top of it to act as the friction surface and clamping face for the clutch. I can easily make that part taller to account for a shorter input shaft, and make it to accept the pilot bearing as well. It's probably easier that way as I can use the correct pilot bearing for the transmission and don't have to worry about finding one that fits both the crank bore and the input shaft.

Comment

interestingly, the N series motors still have the hole for the pilot bearing in the crankshaft (the M20 bearing is a direct fit).

but yeah, if you're going all out it probably doesn't make a big difference.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I would have said "all out" would be a Jerico, Lenco or Weismann...

A dual organic QM or organic/ceramic Tilton is supposedly fairly street friendly.

Comment

Working...
                              X