Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The CMM data I had taken in 2014 didn't include the positions of the bolt holes that attach the "snubber" to the crossmember. It turns out that gizmo needs to move as well.

The snubber is #15 here:

However, it actually installs with the rubber toward the back of the car instead of pointing up.
    Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 05-31-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Nr 15?
      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Yes... wasn't working in a big enough window when I posted that :p

Comment

Oh ok, it wasn't installed on my ix when I got it :)
          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Lol...
            It's one of the things that defines where the engine ends up; I figured I should have it on my crossmember.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
              Lol...
              It's one of the things that defines where the engine ends up; I figured I should have it on my crossmember.
              I wouldnt have room for it :D
              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

On the RWD the stopper keeps the engine from hitting the radiator when the engine mounts are old. They are also NLA on RWD.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                  I wouldnt have room for it :D
                  Your car doesn't have room for a firewall either :p

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    On the RWD the stopper keeps the engine from hitting the radiator when the engine mounts are old. They are also NLA on RWD.
                    Sometimes... The iX bumper crosses to some RWD applications.

Comment

Progress, based on snubber mounting measurements:

Comment

PIMA:

Comment

AAAAAAAND of course I realize basically as soon as I post the above image that I need to change it before the rack or mount towers will actually bolt up.

The rack mount holes are too far from the rear edge. I'm going to have to lower them and then add spacers.

Because of the way they're contoured, the mount towers won't sit flat on their intended locations, so I'll have to lower those and add spacers.

But since all the required parts except the spacers are already digitally built that shouldn't be too hard.

Comment

One job taken care of... Now I have to make space for the tie rod ends

Comment

Finally starting to look like something I can really use:

Comment

And after even more work, I think I have the steering rack, tie rods, rack boots and engine mount towers deconflicted.
                                Now I need to update the front bulkhead to free up dynamic clearance for the sway bar, but that can wait for another day.

Comment

Working...
                                X