Nando’s n52 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nando’s n52 swap

I just read through all 35 pages of Nando’s swap, to see it hadn’t been updated since 2017??

What’s the situation on the car? I know he’s still posting around here! Would love to hear how it finished lol
    sigpic1989 325i Cirrusblau Sedan-Sold
    1989 BMW 325ix-Sold
    1991 325ix-Sold
    1988 325iX-

I chatted with him via email a couple weeks ago. Said he was taking a hiatus from the forums/projects for a bit, and now with the new site, he has stopped in even less. :(

EDIT: When I saw the thread title, I was secretly hoping you were doing the swap for him, and got a little excited lol
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Sad! The new site//site updates over the last few years have been kind of strange though.
      As far as me doing the swap for him... lol’d, I can hardly hold a wrench without poking my eye out, year 3 of ix ownership.
      sigpic1989 325i Cirrusblau Sedan-Sold
      1989 BMW 325ix-Sold
      1991 325ix-Sold
      1988 325iX-

Comment

Could someone link said thread? Sorry, I did look!

Comment

So a new fab shop opened that looked like they could build me an oil pan (one of the last missing elements). But that was just before covid-19. Hopefully they'll be open when this is all blown over.

Basically other than lack of time, getting the oil pan modified is where I've been stuck. I know it can be done but there's really no custom fab shops that would take something like this on near me.

I still want to finish - I have a brand new transfer case and transmission sitting in a crate, waiting for a home..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Is there no way to use a 328xi oil pan and front diff?
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

Flatly, no. It's all way too big, and the E90 is a good 6 inches longer than the E30.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Where did you find a new transmission? I don't even know where I could get one rebuilt, much less new.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

I had it rebuilt by drive-gear like 5 years ago, and used a bellhousing that has the correct angle on it for the 24v motors (early M50 cars in europe came with the getrag 260).

I don't think they're rebuilding them anymore though - not sure. I know the prices went way up after I had mine done due to lack of parts and price increases from BMW. :(
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Too bad we can't 3D print an oil pan and then have it sand cast and machined.....

Comment

You learn something every day. I didn't know there was a M50 G260. Yep, sure enough I looked in the parts catalogue and it came on an early Euro M50 E34. Front housing is part # 23111228301, but it appears to be NLA. Although the gearbox itself appears to be available (for non-A/C) for about $3500.
                      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Yeah I got a used one out of Europe for like $100 and had the bell housing swapped onto an ix trans while it was being rebuilt.

3D printing would be interesting, but getting the geometry right would be tough. Unless 10 people wanted one I doubt it would be worth the trouble. :(
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
                          Too bad we can't 3D print an oil pan and then have it sand cast and machined.....
                          3D printed molds are a thing...

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            I had it rebuilt by drive-gear like 5 years ago, and used a bellhousing that has the correct angle on it for the 24v motors (early M50 cars in europe came with the getrag 260).

I don't think they're rebuilding them anymore though - not sure. I know the prices went way up after I had mine done due to lack of parts and price increases from BMW. :(
                            They aren't. I contacted them about 5 years ago but I had bought my house 2 years prior and I was strapped for cash. Now in my 30s I can afford it but they aren't doing it anymore. Sucks!
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                            X