Repairing my shortened rear bumper

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Javier h
    replied
    Great work

    2 questions.

    Did you use Quiksteel for the expoxy? What brand would you recommend.

    In terms of the paint for the bumper trim, what brand did you use?

    Was looking for something OEM. I went to Pep Boys and they had a bunch of plastic paints that adhere well to rubber etc. Wondering what best looks like OEM.

    I might just have to paint the entire front and rear to make them match.

    In my case, I just have scrapes on some older euro trim. I want to try to get them repaired first before re-ordering a new set. Thanks!

    Also wondering if anyone has done this procedure with an E28 MT1 trunk spoiler to shorten it (to fit an E30). That would wild but it would be an awesome project if executed perfectly.

    I'm off to home depot to try to secure the spot filler. I'm not cutting anything in my repairs, just degreasing, cleaning, filling and painting. I'm skipping the primer stuff since there is no need. I am probably using "bondo glazing and spot putty"

    Leave a comment:


  • Jand3rson
    replied
    I have to get them repainted, which will probably be in the next couple of weeks. Will get more pics then.

    Leave a comment:


  • cobraken
    replied
    More More More, show the install too! I am going to start this project this summer!

    Leave a comment:


  • BenM
    replied
    Looks great, but man I hate bodywork though. I have a ton of respect for people who can delve into it without qualms.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jand3rson
    replied
    Without question. :D

    Leave a comment:


  • straight6pwr
    replied
    Originally posted by Janderson
    That book was written in '03. :D

    Thanks for all the compliments doods, means a lot.
    regardless of the book date, that guy is clearly stuck in or around the time the Macintosh was released.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jand3rson
    replied
    Yeah, it was in a black tube, I don't remember the brand, that might have been it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Justin B
    replied
    Looks a lot like Devcon Plastic-Welder epoxy. You can find it basically in any hardware store worth their salt that has a good glue section. The Devcon stuff comes in a solid black epoxy tube.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jand3rson
    replied
    I got it at Napa, I don't remember the exact brand, it was like $6 per tube.

    Leave a comment:


  • Naplm00
    replied
    what was the brand/type of platci epoxy that you used? and where did you get it?

    Leave a comment:


  • Jand3rson
    replied
    Originally posted by straight6pwr
    wow looks very nice! excellent work, and i think you owe 80s book guy a thank you.
    That book was written in '03. :D

    Thanks for all the compliments doods, means a lot.

    Leave a comment:


  • ZM Blue Devil
    replied
    Excellent, this is very cool. Ive been putting off doing a mt2 rear bumper. Now Im inspired.

    Leave a comment:


  • dashboardmonkey
    replied
    Damn man, that looks good

    Leave a comment:


  • Spaz
    replied
    lookin fancy!

    Leave a comment:


  • evil_twin
    replied
    Damn! That looks awesome!

    Leave a comment:

Working...