Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With that taken care of it was time to move onto another job I'd been putting off
    for a while. Fitting the airbox snorkel (arrowed below).........

The snorkel is what the airbox draws it's air from and it's fitted down beside
    the radiator at the front of the engine bay where it can suck in some fresh cool
    air from the front of the car...........

Unfortunately it doesn't come supplied with an airfilter of any kind and
    while there are various solutions out there for this I decided I'd have a crack
    at making my own, and this is how it came together.

Cardboard template for a filter housing box........

check it fits........

transfer to aluminium x2..........

some 25mm aluminium channel.............

chop, chop, bendy, bendy..........

clamp all three parts together........

Comment

and join with some countersunk rivets because it would appear either I've
      his wrong address, or, Santa doesn't know what a fuckin Tig welder is..........

after which some M4 threaded rivets are fitted to allow it to be bolted up to
      the car.........

and bolt it up to see if fits........

So far so good.
      Next up, the snorkel was going to have to fit against the inside of this filter box
      and this provided the first little hurdle to overcome.........

I would need the snorkel to suck all it's air through the filterbox if the filter
      was going to work and as you can see below the mating surfaces weren't
      exactly what you might call airtight........

More cardboard and another template.......

Comment

Copied over to some thick aluminium..........

apply bonding agent to correct proportions, 50% on snorkel flange,
        remaining 50% on hands, clothes, work bench.........

and then leave to dry. The last time I bonded something it slipped over night
        and proved a right pig to redo, since then I like to take a little precaution or two..........

end result, a nice flat mating surface..........

With that done the next step was to sort out the method of attaching the snorkel
        to the filterbox.
        When planning this step out I figured it might make life a little handier down the
        line if the snorkel was relatively easy to fit and remove as it'll need to come out
        for some of the routine maintenance jobs such as changing fan belts and the oil
        filter. With this in mind I wanted to try and avoid bolting it on and maybe try another
        way of securing it instead.
        So,
        couple of hole's in the front face of the snorkel........

the notches arrowed red above are to line up with a pair of M5 bolts
        shown below in the filter box which act as locating dowels.........

Comment

And the reason for the larger (green arrowed) hole shown above is to mate up
          with this little latch..........

Which is known to me as a "Waverly latch". As is par for the course by
          now I've no idea what the rest of the world might call it.
          As you can see below, the flange of the snorkel fits over it and then the little
          black part is twisted locking the flange in place........

and it's fitted in place like so............

last job on the snorkel was to apply some foam tape to the flange to give
          it an airtight seal when fitted............

and then pop it on. In the pic below you can see the right hand side is
          sandwiched between the filterbox and the front of the radiator, which
          keeps it in place and the left hand side is locked in place with that
          little latch..........

All that was left to do now was stick in an actual air filter.........

Comment

The filter shown above has the K&N part number 33-2085 and is listed
            for an 8.4 litre V8 Dodge Viper, which I felt a little chuffed about,
            right up until the invoice arrived an I realised the Viper uses two of them.
            Moving on.
            Those of you with a keen eye may well spot a slight problem that was about
            to reveal itself on the next step...........

resisting the urge to use the "universal problem sorting tool" i.e.the hammer,
            I decided for a more civilised approach instead........

chop, chop.......

each end of the filter cotton is bonded in as standard on a K&N........

So a little Tiger Seal..........

and leave to set overnight........

Final item required was something to actually hold the filter in the filterbox.
            Again cardboard template.........

magic wand.......

Comment

Bend it into shape........

and a couple of appropriately placed screws attaches everything together........

splatter of paint to improve the appearance.........

Which leaves the finished product looking like so..............

And thats about all the waffle I can muster up today.
              Will try and get some more up as the week goes on.
              Till then............

Comment

stunning job., and here I was thinking U would use some regular flexible venting pipe with a racing filter in front of the bumper....

Comment

I love you.

Comment

Finally, another instalment! I was starting to have severe withdrawal symptoms...

Quick question: won't the air filter be exposed to elements like rain? Does it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Bartholomeo View Post
                      and here I was thinking U would use some regular flexible venting pipe with a racing filter in front of the bumper....
                      It was on stand-by ;)

Originally posted by monoi View Post
                      Quick question: won't the air filter be exposed to elements like rain? Does it matter?
                      It'll be reasonably sheltered from direct rain when the bumper and grills
                      go back on, but that aside, I don't think much rain would penetrate it
                      anyhow as the filter cotton is doused with oil which should repel it.
                      I've seen quite a few cars rallying/racing with exposed filters in heavy
                      downpours that didn't seem to have any bother. Might stay clear of
                      driving through floods though.

Comment

With the air filter done and dusted and the radiator, fan and oil cooler
                        now in place the final item to sort out in this area was the fan resistor.
                        The electric fan on the M3 has two speeds, half speed and full warp.
                        For full speed the fan motor is sent 12 volts and to get the fan to run
                        at half speed the 12 volts is ran through a resistor on it's way to the
                        fan to kill off a few volts.
                        As mentioned earlier I've chosen to replace all the components in the
                        fan set up on this car to finally rid it of an intermittent fan fault and the
                        last component to be changed is this fan resistor.
                        I've chosen not to buy a straight forward replacement for the Bmw resistor
                        for two reasons. 1) they're overpriced from the dealer for what they are
                        and 2) as I fitted an aftermarket Spal fan I can't be sure that the factory
                        resistor will be the right resistance to get this fan to run at half speed too.
                        So, there may well be some trial and error buying different resistors till
                        we hit the sweet spot.
                        The picture below shows the standard Bmw fan resistor and the aftermarket
                        one I've bought............

The part number on it is "Arcol HS 100 R5 J". Despite looking totally
                        different to the original resistor it's practically the same resistance so should
                        work just like the original. And the plus point is it cost 6euro.
                        The resistor comes with a tab each side to allow you to solder it into
                        the wiring loom............

After the wiring part was taken care of came the task of mounting it. The original
                        resistor used to mount up to the side of the old fan housing and as my old fan was
                        now at the end of the rubbish bin it didn't seem to make a lot of sense fitting it there.
                        So, somewhere new had to be found.
                        Two things needed to be kept in mind when looking for it's new home, these resistors
                        create quite a bit of heat when in operation so it would help if it's mounted somewhere
                        in the incoming airflow to help keeping it cool and if it could be bolted to a metal surface
                        this would also help it conduct the heat away.
                        So I decided to kill two birds with the one stone.
                        The radiator on this car has a nice plastic cowl around the sides and bottom of
                        the radiator to direct as much cool air through the front of the radiator as possible.
                        However as you can see in the picture below this leaves a bit of a gap across the
                        top where air can take the easier route over the radiator rather than through it.......

I'm not sure it there's a specific panel to fit in here to block the gap but either
                        way I don't have one and have decided to make one.
                        Usual routine, cardboard template, transferred to aluminium, bend it the
                        wrong way, curse alot, take a break, return a while later and make it the
                        right way.........

Happy that it fits, tart it up........

Comment

Once in place two holes can be drilled in it........

to allow the fan resistor to bolt up to it, which mounts it in the path of the
                          incoming air and against an aluminium surface, both of which should help it stay
                          cool.....

The last bit of tonight's little addition is the exhaust system which is
                          a much straight forward affair. The original system was fairly well
                          toast due to old age and rust. I've decided to replace it with an
                          aftermarket replica centre section picked up on German e-bay.
                          Both the new and old are shown below side by side, the difference
                          being the old one had catalytic converters fitted where as the new
                          one is a replica of the non cat centre section..........

The quality of the replica seems decent with all pipes having identical bends
                          and diameters. It isn't however made from stainless steel like the original
                          but on the plus side it cost a little over 200 euro delivered as opposed to
                          the 1600 euro the original costs. Yep, you read that right.

While being a fairly good replica it still needed a few small modifications to
                          fit up nicely. Nothing major, just an inch lobbed off the end of the pipes to
                          shorten it ever so slightly.........

and the hanger brackets tweeked a little to let it sit right under the car........

With the centre section taken care of the the backbox going on is a genuine
                          item..........

all of which should keep the exhaust note at the same levels as when she
                          left the factory, which is the goal. I've had my share of noisy exhausts over the
                          years and I'll be quite happy if all the noise from this machine comes from that
                          airbox up front.

Before the system could be fitted a few new heat shields needed to go up first
                          to replace the old disintegrated ones......

once in place the system could go up............

making sure to adjust the rear axle exhaust hanger brackets.......

so that each rubber is carrying its fair share of the weight...........

Hopefully it won't be too much longer till I can get some smoke out of these pipes.......

Thats it for tonight, next up fuel system.

Comment

it's going to be a damn shame when this car sees any dirt for the first time.

Comment

Oooooooohhhhhhhhh god so close.
                              Originally posted by george graves
                              If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

This is literally the best thing I have ever seen! Damn good work!

Comment

Working...
                                X