Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i don't think this has been asked just curious as to what you do for a day job. a while ago you said you brought it to your job where there are double decker busses.

I am just curious if you are some kind of a mechanic and/or where you gained your experience.

And as always AMAZING work with the car and the write ups. We are all indebted to you.
    sigpic

Comment

"...Just curious as to what you do for a day job. ...where you gained your experience."

+1
      From some of your descriptions it sounds like you have done this all before.
      971-295-7077

91' 318i

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words folks, much appreciated.

As to how I earn a living, after leaving school I started an
        apprenticeship as a HGV (heavy goods vehicle) mechanic
        in a local bus company (Dublin Bus). The company has a little
        under a thousand double and single decker buses.
        When I finished serving my time they kept me on
        and I've been working there now a little over 17 years.

Although employed as a mechanic your pretty much working
        a few different trades I guess and can end up working on anything
        from engine overhauls and auto electrics to bodywork and crash repairs.
        The upside is you get to learn a few different skill's and pick up a lot of
        tips from older generation tradesmen and get to have a go at pretty much
        anything.

While the day job pays the bills the real passion is building cars. I've been
        messing with cars at home now for as long as I can remember and I
        suppose learning a little as I go along. It's just a hobby though, which
        probably explains why it's taking so long. :D

Comment

Fantastic.

Keep up the good work, man.

I look forward to updates to this thread more than any other on the board.

1988 Bronzitbeige Metallic 325e 2-door S50 turbo (OO=( )=OO)
          2008 VW Rabbit
          1991 Audi 200 20vtq Wagon

Comment

my eyes hurt
            E30 | E46 | E53 | F31

Collection of my DIY Guides here

Comment

you sir are bad ass, keep up the good work :up:
              sigpic

my build thread:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=232324

Comment

I'm fairly new to E30's but, you Sir, are definitely one of of a kind!

The car, work you have done, and documentation/illustrations are above reproach. The E30 community will never be able to repay you. Not that you asked for anything. However, if you ever need anything in the way of assistance with editing images, storing them, putting this all on the web somewhere, creating a PDF to ensure this info is never lost, feel free to hit me up. I read the entire thread over the past two days and I suddenly feel inspired to give something back to the community as well!

You really need to get some video of the first start, drive, etc. That would finish all of this off, nicely.

In a nutshell, THANK YOU, ...and Balls to You!

Matt

Comment

A pdf of all this epicness would be superb.

And 2nd on making a video of the 1st start, drive, cursing when it stalls... etc

Comment

unprecedented..
                    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

If you want me to make (and even host) a PDF for you, I would have no problem giving back to the community. Heck, I would even donate money for a PDF of all of this. I'm sure others would as well. All your work on the car, money spent, and time used to create and upload he posts, are worth something to me, as well. Just say the word.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Eagle View Post
                        If you want me to make (and even host) a PDF for you, I would have no problem giving back to the community. Heck, I would even donate money for a PDF of all of this. I'm sure others would as well. All your work on the car, money spent, and time used to create and upload he posts, are worth something to me, as well. Just say the word.

Matt
                        This would be an outstanding resource to the community.
                        971-295-7077

91' 318i

Comment

Any updates dude it has been 2 months and I am having withdrawals.
                          sigpic

Comment

yeah it's been a while, sorry on that. Christmas brought productivity
                            to a complete halt. The switch to an aftermarket engine management system
                            is just about complete though. This took a fair bit more effort (learning) that I had
                            previously thought. I've about 300 pic's here of the whole installation and plan to
                            start writing it up just as soon as I can get some spare time. All effort's are going
                            into getting her to the rolling road at the moment. All going well I should have
                            some drivel up within the next 2/3 weeks, will try and make it worth the wait.

Thanks Matt for the offer on converting to PDF, much appreciated. The plan
                            at the moment is to try and get all this crap into some sort of indexed manual
                            for folk who want it when the fat lady eventually sings. Hopefully accompanied
                            by a dvd with all the pic's in full size.

Comment

Oh man I can't wait for the next installment now. I am looking into installing Megasquirt into my car soonish, and although the documentation is good and I have a reasonable idea on what I am doing, a full write up of a standalone install would be the greatest addition to the internetz. EVER!

Thank you so much you have made my day.
                              sigpic

Comment

epic thread/build.

Comment

Working...
                                X