"i" front lip: Uro vs Genuine BMW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"i" front lip: Uro vs Genuine BMW?

I had just glued/frankensteined together a thrashed "is" lip on my plastic bumper ragtop when my otherwise pretty solid offspring knocked it off in my driveway. The lip split in half, no fixing it this time.

Is the Uro any good, or should I splurge on a real BMW lip? Uro is 60, BMW is 240. I'm not willing to do much fitting/sanding/trimming on the Uro if that's what's involved. If I could source a used unit locally, I'd jump on it. Big item to ship tho...

Thank you my brothers.
    Last edited by funcrew; 06-13-2019, 04:16 PM.
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Get an OEM iS lip, they’re about $170.
    sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
    1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
    1991 318is - Sold
    1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

No, an "i" apron (in BMW speak) is 170ish, whereas an "is" spoiler is 240ish these days.

But in this case it might be worth trying the typically trashy Uro part (haven't tried it myself).

Don't forget to factor in painting costs (SEM), with the Uro stuff usually coming painted in black, while the BMW spoiler will be primer, and the apron might be black.

Comment

If I remember right the "i" lip I have is just a generic ebay one. Seems to fit fine
        1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
        COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Would like to know how the Uro lips fit since I am in need of a new one, and don't really care to spend 240 on something that's prone to being broken.

Comment

I went with the $40 ebay/amazon IS lip. You just need to sand down the tabs and it snaps in just like OEM. I did this by removing one of the clips from the lower valance and sanded down each tab making sure I didn't remove to much material.

I imagine the Uro lip may need some sanding to fit just like OEM.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks to all! I'm going to try the el cheapo and see what happens.
              "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

In my experience, Uro is always the wrong choice.
                Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I have the URO "i" front lip. it snapped in perfectly with the oem clips. I went through 2 ebay "is" front lips. They never snapped it and i always had to zip tie them.
                  1991 sterling silver 318is
                  1987 alpine white 325i convertible

Comment

my ebay cheapo has been looking great for 4 years now. no issues. its never fallen off. no zip ties. it loves mothers back to black.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    '90 325i sedan daily driven
                    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Working...
                    X