X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garageaholic
    replied
    Originally posted by Eurospeed View Post
    Frank, you're doing a fucking amazing job, and I think it's awesome that you had the balls to attempt this job with your own car. Excellent work.

Hey thanx...I know what you mean, but if it were any other color, i would not attempt it but let me tell you, my right arm is really killing me from all the wetsanding! Anyway, I don't think that the car will be completely done (paint-wise) by march!! I will keep you all posted on what I'm doing and have some writeups. From the looks of it on other forums, people have some pretty detailed writeups and i'm doing pretty much the same thing.

O 16581 72452 5,
    first of all, what does your friggin name mean!!! ha jk, secondly, if you do do it, then get some pics up immediately! that's right, i said do do.

Leave a comment:

• O 16581 72452 5
    replied
    I'm about to rip off your graphics by the way when i paint my car, just on the right side. :P

Leave a comment:

• dkmr
    replied
    Originally posted by Eurospeed View Post
    Frank, you're doing a fucking amazing job, and I think it's awesome that you had the balls to attempt this job with your own car. Excellent work.
    +1 Good job!

Leave a comment:

• Jand3rson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• td325ic
    replied
    You guys interested in doing a roller paint job might want to check out part 2 of the original moparts thread:

Paint job on a budget Part 2: Aussie Driver's black miata

Seems the paint getting the best results is Interlux "Brightside" boat paint. Rolls out with a very high gloss and is not necessary to thin with mineral spirits, though a little thinning will help it level better.

For Pictures check out these posts by: Aussie Driver, Exit1965, MontanaMan, and Marq

They are starting to get some pretty impressive results, I may try this on my truck.

Leave a comment:

• O 16581 72452 5
    replied
    Application technique is critical, as you have to have a "feel" for how much to thin the paint and you HAVE TO use Mineral Spirits, NOT PAINT THINNER like varsol.

I read it, i even went against what it said because i read the can.

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Originally posted by O 16581 72452 5 View Post
    What'd you use to thin the rustoleum with? It said on the can to use Acetone, everyone told me not to, but i did anyway and it took literally days to dry. I used oderless mineral spirits like someone suggested and if i touch spray paint on it the paint reacts, bad.
    I am gonna guess that you did not read this?

Luke

Leave a comment:

• O 16581 72452 5
    replied
    What'd you use to thin the rustoleum with? It said on the can to use Acetone, everyone told me not to, but i did anyway and it took literally days to dry. I used oderless mineral spirits like someone suggested and if i touch spray paint on it the paint reacts, bad.

Leave a comment:

• E30 Reaktionär
    replied
    looks sweet... nice and shiney, i wish my black would of turned out like that but it had a haze in it. The stripes look cool also.

Leave a comment:

• Garageaholic
    replied
    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
    Frank, I am not sure how I like those personally.

I was traumatized by 70's graphics, so now all graphics look terrible to me.

How many coats are you going to do? I assume you wetsanded carefully under the spray.

Luke
    hahaha, I can take that. I was born in 82, so i'm not afraid of the graphics. I had never thought of it that way acutally. I"m putting about 2 coats on it and then see how it goes. I was going to put a coat of clear on top of the whole trunk, but i'm going to play this one by ear.

Leave a comment:

• ivo316
    replied
    I have a question, I contacte the rustoleum dealer in Chile, and they don't sell the protective enamel.

They offered me an acrylic based glossy white enamel.

Will that do the trick ????

I am at a loss here, they carry the industrial line, the one you are using is part of the consumer line here, that was sold by home depot, but they went out of business in Chile.

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Frank, I am not sure how I like those personally.

I was traumatized by 70's graphics, so now all graphics look terrible to me.

How many coats are you going to do? I assume you wetsanded carefully under the spray.

Luke

Leave a comment:

• Garageaholic
    replied
    oh shit you're right, I didn't think of that!. no difference. I got sooooo lucky with the colors..

I was going to do the german flag instead. the yellow/red/black, but yellow wouldn't show up nice on the white.

Leave a comment:

• ldsbeaker
    replied
    Dude, that looks freakin awesome!!
    I would have had the stripes go the other way though... ///
    for ///M, you know? or am I just crazy. Either way, the colors are GREAT!!

Leave a comment:

• Garageaholic
    replied
    Thanx
    I think that in order to protect it, i'm going to wetsand the whole thing down and then use an oil-based clear coat and give it one good coat rollered. I think that will give it a nice uniform look and feel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X