Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

honest no bullshit assessment of dupli-color fabric & vinyl on recoloring carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, that does look good. the work vlad did in his current buildup looks fantastic too. Now I'm starting to think I should try it again. decisions!

when you guys work it with the bristle, did you do it immediately upon spraying, or after it was dry? or what? I think I did it too late after spraying but before it dried all the way which is what made it clump up.

thoughts?
    Paul
    pull: '02 F-250 7.3L 6SPD 4x4, Chipped, Straightpiped, BFG MTKM2.
    turn: empty stable. lame.

Comment

Originally posted by paulkeith View Post
      when you guys work it with the bristle, did you do it immediately upon spraying, or after it was dry? or what? I think I did it too late after spraying but before it dried all the way which is what made it clump up.

thoughts?
      Paul
      Brush right after spraying to work the dye into the fiber and then again when it is dry to soften it up. Plan on multiple coats... start with light coats.

Comment

as for the side panels i just used the spay... if thats what your askings ..its been good for almost 1 year now.

Comment

I duplicolored my carpets and I love the results..I went from blue to black and there was no flaking off of the paint. It has been over two months and it seems to wear great. I don't even have floor mats in it right now and still looks good. I have still not done my rear deck which is on my "to do" list,

Which color did you use? I used flat black.. I wonder if there is a coating on the back deck for UV protection or something that keeps the paint from sticking well...maybe I will go check it out soon as I still have a can of this laying around..need to change the rear deck anyway.

I used a bristle brush between coats, not to rub the product in, but to fluff the carpet fibers so that I could be sure to get paint on as many of them as I could.

Comment

I used black VHT "Carpet Dye".

5 (!) cans worth did my carpet. I sprayed, brushed with a bathtub scrub brush, soft nylon bristle, adn re-applied it several times. My carpet was really shitty, a 12"X20" bleach (I think, PO did it) stain...but pressure washed OK.

Under the floormats, it is starting to wear. I will re-spray it this summer sometime. This was 2 years ago, it feels OK, not like fresh new perfect carpet...but I don't rub my carpet very often, y'know?

I also did the trunk liner, and it turned out great, except it still does not perfectly match the black carpet I used on the floor.

Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I wonder if it makes a difference which type of carpet you are dying? I've noticed that the M42 318i(s) carpet is less dense and has stiffer fibers than the thicker, more plush carpet I've seen on other e30s. It would seem that the less dense carpet carpet would take the dye/paint better, and the feel wouldn't change as much since it's already pretty course. I borrowed some pics to illustrate.

Here is a pic of the 318is carpet (oem but painted)

And here is one of the plusher type of carpet (oem anthracite)

Last edited by robrez; 11-29-2009, 11:36 AM.
              sigpic
              January 2012 COTM

Comment

Mine has the same carpet as shown in the second shot. Mine looks 95% as good as that 2 years later, and the feel is almost perfect.

Having fucked with tons of carpets, here is my opinion: if you want perfectly BLACK carpets, find an early car with the separate padding and use that with the top quality aftermarket molded carpet kits.

2nd place is sprayed, and is pretty close.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

2 cans of gloss black duplicolor on the rear seats. They look good in the picture but the gloss doesn't look right but overall, the can sprayed evenly. My plan is to go flat. Will post pics of flat.

And about 6 cans of flat black on the carpet. Going from cardinal red to black. The gloss seemed to have better coverage but the flat was all that was left. You can still see some red. Really regret painting it..

Comment

You rattlecanned cardinal carpet? Wow.
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                      You rattlecanned cardinal carpet? Wow.
                      ^this:crazy::blowup:
                      Originally posted by blunttech
                      Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                      :shock:

Comment

I tried Duplicolor black on tan carpet and wasn't happy. I couldn't get the color down to the bottom of the nap. Since I am totally redoing the interior, I bit the bullet and bought new black carpet. Door panels look great through. Did a two tone black/grey.

Comment

nickmcc92, you should have traded your cardinal carpet with someone instead of painting it; I'm sure someone would have want that color carpet. I notice the red is bleeding through a little on the passenger side (unless that's just the camera).

Comment

Working...
                          X