Black Carpet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Carpet?

My 1989 ix has black interior with grey carpets and a grey parcel shelf. Why not black? Did BMW have a reason for not having black carpets?

I am in the process of cleaning my carpets and will re-dye them either the original grey or I have been thinking of changing them and the parcel shelf to black.

Is it that black interior AND black carpets is too much black?

Opinions?
    Attached Files
    1986 E30 325E
    1989 E30 325iX
    2003 E54 X5.
    1993 Mercedes W124 300E
    1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
    2009 VW Touareg
    2007 Porsche Cayman S

I pulled my carpet out and went with a new oem black carpet because mine was disgusting. I also dyed my parcel shelf black. I have a black interior, although I did contrast red stitching.

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Very nice. I am convinced, black it is. I already dyed my parcel shelf. Now I have to paint the grey premium speakers that came in a parts car I bought.

How much was the new carpet?
      1986 E30 325E
      1989 E30 325iX
      2003 E54 X5.
      1993 Mercedes W124 300E
      1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
      2009 VW Touareg
      2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

Black when I got it I think it was $800 for both pieces.

Comment

Looks worth it though I think I will see how dying mine looks. I've dyed a similar "grey" Mercedes carpet to black and it came out nicely so, I am hoping this will work on my ix as well.

My parcel shelf came out nice so, I am optimistic.
          1986 E30 325E
          1989 E30 325iX
          2003 E54 X5.
          1993 Mercedes W124 300E
          1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
          2009 VW Touareg
          2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

I dyed my grey carpet and parcel shelf in two different e30s.

Definitely seems to class up the interior. I think it ties together and modernized the aesthetic.
            Derek-

Comment

What are you guys using to the dye the carpet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric "paint". I've also had very good luck with SEM products.
                1986 E30 325E
                1989 E30 325iX
                2003 E54 X5.
                1993 Mercedes W124 300E
                1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
                2009 VW Touareg
                2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

Originally posted by MSGGrunt View Post
                  Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric "paint". I've also had very good luck with SEM products.
                  That's what I used for my rear deck.

Comment

Originally posted by msggrunt View Post
                    duplicolor vinyl and fabric "paint". I've also had very good luck with sem products.

+2
                    Derek-

Comment

Just to shed some very recent light on this black carpet situation. The OEM carpet from ECS which they get from BMW is not black anymore. I know in the past people were saying the dying process at the manufacturer was making the carpet come out black. Well I bit the bullet and bought one after hours of research, got the carpet in the mail, opened it up and its officially dark gray, nothing like the black carpet pictured a few post before this, so disappointment. I went with a company called ACC, they have a very decent fitting carpet for E30s, I will say that I am making some custom floor mats to help with how clean the carpet fits. Its not OEM fitting of course but I am very happy with how its turning out and its jet black. One thing you have to remember about pics is that every camera meters light differently and the light quality plays a huge roll on how "black" the carpet looks. If your looking for black carpet dont waste your money on the OEM because its at least 7-10 shades off in my personal opinion.

Comment

I know what you mean. When I want black I want jet black not a charcoal almost black. I do have to say that the Duplicolor has done an OK job on the carpets (originally a dark grey) but will probably take a few more treatments maybe mid summer and in the fall for the dye to penetrate all or most of the fibers.

I was actually thinking of using these floor mats in black over the carpets. A bit gaudy maybe but, I was thinking MAYBE they would look good in an all black interior.

Attached Files
                        1986 E30 325E
                        1989 E30 325iX
                        2003 E54 X5.
                        1993 Mercedes W124 300E
                        1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
                        2009 VW Touareg
                        2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

Originally posted by grandtapestry View Post
                          Just to shed some very recent light on this black carpet situation. The OEM carpet from ECS which they get from BMW is not black anymore. I know in the past people were saying the dying process at the manufacturer was making the carpet come out black. Well I bit the bullet and bought one after hours of research, got the carpet in the mail, opened it up and its officially dark gray, nothing like the black carpet pictured a few post before this, so disappointment. I went with a company called ACC, they have a very decent fitting carpet for E30s, I will say that I am making some custom floor mats to help with how clean the carpet fits. Its not OEM fitting of course but I am very happy with how its turning out and its jet black. One thing you have to remember about pics is that every camera meters light differently and the light quality plays a huge roll on how "black" the carpet looks. If your looking for black carpet dont waste your money on the OEM because its at least 7-10 shades off in my personal opinion.
                          That's interesting, I bought mine from FCP not ECS, but I am glad I got one of the darker ones, lucky I guess. Mine definitely is black (I wouldnt say Jet but its not light gray like my original).

Comment

There never was a true "black" carpet for the E30. The color ECS and others are calling black is "Anthracite" which is very dark charcoal grey. It is almost black but not quite, like Staszek has stated.

Comment

Originally posted by MSGGrunt View Post
                              Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric "paint".
                              Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                              That's what I used for my rear deck.
                              Ditto.
                              Originally posted by kronus
                              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                              X