Leave a comment:

• MSGGrunt
    replied
    Couple of pictures.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• MSGGrunt
    replied
    So the leather covers arrived today and here is my Review.

I placed the order and paid for the seats on November 17th and they arrived today, December 7th, 21 days from order to door.
    The only questions I had was to clarify if the rear bottom cover was contoured for the sedan as advertised or a coupe that I needed.

I ordered the darkest brown they sell and I think it is going to come together with my overall intent for the interior. The brown is kind of close to BMW's dark cinnamon brown. I was looking for a dark brown and this is very nice. The color is consistent throughout and there are no blemishes on the seating surfaces. All the stitching looks heavy duty and the lines are straight and parallel.

I am pleased with the quality but, this is my first time redoing seats so I wouldn't necessarily know Napa leather from Lseat.com leather. I can say the thickness is on par with the OEM leather.

I was extremely pleased that they came with the headrest plastic pieces sewn onto the leather. I was expecting to have to hot glue gun my old ones on like I had seen in the YouTube video I posted earlier.

Nice that there are some cutouts for some of the hog rings.

The biggest surprise, and something not shown in their E30 advertisement pictures or description, was the inclusion of two pieces of leather to cover the seat backs. I just assumed that I would have to dye those to match the leather.

The leather is all backed by a foam that is similar to the foam on the back of Mercedes floor mats and not a thick matting like on the OEM covers. I am thinking of using a seam ripper to remove the original padding and contact cement it onto the new leather. Unless this is a bad idea. Obviously it can't be sewn on.

The thin foam backing is on the 2 pieces that cover the seat backs as well and I can't think of any reason it should be there. Anyone ordering these in the future I would advise asking that these two pieces not include the foam. I spent a few minutes with an exacto knife ripping out the stitching and removing the foam. Now I am left with 2 thin pieces of leather just like OEM. I already removed the original leather covering the backing and will be gluing the new leather on.

I am letting the leather warm up and will be attempting the install this weekend.
    Last edited by MSGGrunt; 12-07-2017, 06:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nextelbuddy
    replied
    Originally posted by MSGGrunt View Post
    FedEx tracking says the covers will be delivered tomorrow. I will report what I think by this time tomorrow.
    I just ordered a set of these for my E46 actually. I bought M3 seats and am trying to recover them to match my natural brown interior.

they sent me a picture of their swatches which the best i could match up was the S0013 Dark beige.....

which one did you go with?

Leave a comment:

• MSGGrunt
    replied
    FedEx tracking says the covers will be delivered tomorrow. I will report what I think by this time tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Mike36
    replied
    Any updates?

Leave a comment:

• Pootis
    replied
    It helps the interior foam expand again. When I did mine you could see on the ridge of the foam where I had used the steamer and where I hadn't it was so much more puffed up. I got that steamer at walmart for $10 it is worth it

Leave a comment:

• MSGGrunt
    replied
    I have heard a lot of people say to hit the foam with steam. I guess it can't hurt, but what does the heated water vapor actually do to the foam? Is there any science involved or is it similar advice to rubbing butter on a burn or WD40 on faded clear coat to make it "look" shiny again?

Leave a comment:

• Pootis
    replied
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...3=1599&veh=sem

Leave a comment:

• mbonanni
    replied
    What do you guys use to steam?? Do I toss it in my bathroom while I take a hot shower or what?

Leave a comment:

• Pootis
    replied
    Hit it with a lot of steam

Leave a comment:

• MSGGrunt
    replied
    In preparation for the new upholstery I went ahead and stripped the back seats of their original vinyl coverings.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• MSGGrunt
    replied
    Well, I guess I just may be the guinea pig. I just order a set of covers for my front sport seats and a matching set for my rear seats. I went with brown which is their darkest brown to replace my current pearl beige. I wanted as dark of a brown as I could get. I was considering a totally black interior like my iX but, with the maroon metallic exterior paint I am thinking the dark brown interior will look classy with the few bits of black trim. The door cards will be dyed/painted to match the new leather.

Total cost was $736.00 including $58.00 shipping to Massachusetts as I opted for the piping option.

Leave a comment:

• mbonanni
    replied
    Yeah buuuutt LSeat is $300 for leather front seats and Autoberry is $400 for leatherette and $750 for leather for front seats.

I requested a sample of the black and the dark brown, I will report back if I get them and let you guys know the quality.

Leave a comment:

• Pootis
    replied
    Autoberry is also another good option to keep in mind here are my seats done in natur

Leave a comment:

Working...
X