Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW_TUNER
    replied
    I was able to recover the back in my garage with some steam and some strong glue. Pics to follow.

Leave a comment:

• BMW_TUNER
    replied
    In my garage

Leave a comment:

• efficient
    replied
    Where are you guys getting the backs of the seats redone?

Leave a comment:

• BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by MSGGrunt View Post
    Glad to see that others have followed my lead. Question, did your kit include the leather to cover the seat backs and are they still covering these pieces with that thin grey foam?
    It did come with the leather for the seat back and they have stopped putting foam on that part. I just need to wait for my steamer to be delivered so I can warm it up and recover the back cover. I am going to go over the oem as the leather is so well attached it would likely destroy the card board. Pics up soon

Leave a comment:

• MSGGrunt
    replied
    Glad to see that others have followed my lead. Question, did your kit include the leather to cover the seat backs and are they still covering these pieces with that thin grey foam?

Leave a comment:

• salvageland
    replied
    Originally posted by efficient View Post
    Damn that looks sweet. Where did you buy hog ring pliers? And did you buy extra hog rings and from where?

Thank you

I bought this kit from Amazon. The front seats needed ~120 rings so I had to purchase another 100pack of rings to finish the back seats. 3/4” rings work best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• efficient
    replied
    Damn that looks sweet. Where did you buy hog ring pliers? And did you buy extra hog rings and from where?
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Those look great!

Originally posted by salvageland View Post
    It took a while but finally got my covers and installed them. Let me know what you guys think! :)

Leave a comment:

• vtechnik
    replied
    Originally posted by salvageland View Post
    It was my first time recovering seats and it’s definitely doable with intermediate DIY skills. You just have to be very detailed to stretch the covers to the intended position (stitches running along the crest of the bolsters) and get very familiar with hog-ring pliers. It took a day and a half to do the front seats, but I took extra care and put them together very slowly. Rear seats were done in half a day.

I took a ton of photos and plan to make a DIY thread soon.

Awesome, i'm definitely looking forward to a DIY now :up:

Leave a comment:

• salvageland
    replied
    Originally posted by vtechnik View Post
    That looks amazing for $300! I think I'm going to have to do this asap. How hard was it to reupholster? Did you have prior experience? None the less, great job. If you could post more pics, maybe with the top down, that'd be awesome.

It was my first time recovering seats and it’s definitely doable with intermediate DIY skills. You just have to be very detailed to stretch the covers to the intended position (stitches running along the crest of the bolsters) and get very familiar with hog-ring pliers. It took a day and a half to do the front seats, but I took extra care and put them together very slowly. Rear seats were done in half a day.

I took a ton of photos and plan to make a DIY thread soon.

Leave a comment:

• vtechnik
    replied
    That looks amazing for $300! I think I'm going to have to do this asap. How hard was it to reupholster? Did you have prior experience? None the less, great job. If you could post more pics, maybe with the top down, that'd be awesome.

Leave a comment:

• salvageland
    replied
    It took a while but finally got my covers and installed them. Let me know what you guys think! :)

Leave a comment:

• Mwishlist
    replied
    Originally posted by MSGGrunt View Post
    Everything I have read implies that aftermarket heating elements are not even close to putting out the heat of the OEM heaters. Or maybe that is just the low end EBay units. If you pay more money maybe that buys you better quality and higher output. I know the heaters in my Porsche Cayman and Audi TT will make you sweat even in single digit temperatures outside.

Just something to think about.

I need to contact LSeat and see if they can make covers for a 4-door ix with the ski pass through. Even if I have to send them my covers to use as a pattern.
    I don't know how hot the OEM ones are because mine were shot when I got the car. I replaced them with Doorman universal units, $60 a side from Amazon and wired them into the stock switches. The hot setting will roast you. I only turn it on the high setting to get the seats heated up quickly then immediately turn it down to low. Even that setting is pretty toasty and I considered adding some resistance to lower the heat a bit. I can't imagine anything hotter, unless you have some crazy thick leather on there.

Leave a comment:

• Mike36
    replied
    Originally posted by profbooty View Post
    Well the swatches never came.

Any idea what colour might be the best match for natur?
    I can send you the ones I have. You can send them to the next person interested and so on. Let me know.
    Last edited by Mike36; 05-01-2018, 02:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BMW_TUNER
    replied
    I ordered black ones with piping option. We shall see what they look like.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X