Installing M-tech II steering wheel in airbag car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing M-tech II steering wheel in airbag car

I've been reading through prior posts regarding this installation, but I don't feel clear about all the details. Will you guys help me clear up my confusion.

I have a 1991 airbag car that will be receiving an M-tech II steering wheel. I understand that some spacers have to be used on both sides of the wheel. From what I gather, if these spacers are of the correct total thickness the signal return mechanism will remain operable and the horn will remain operable.

I have read that using part number 32311120260 as a spacer will help things along. Question: do I only need to order one of these rings? How many rings do I need total? It sounds like my car may already have one, but I need additional rings. I'm not clear on how many I need total, and if my car already has one.

Also, will I need to use washers in addition to the spacer ring to fine tune the spacing (to make the signal return and horn operate?)

I read that the white plastic pin that engages the airbag interferes and should be removed. It sounds like the best way to remove this pin is to take some pliers to it and yank it straight out. That is what I will do unless anyone states otherwise.

The last thing is the airbag light. On my 1992 I replaced the airbag wheel and wired in a 3.3 ohm array of resistors to simulate the airbag. The light never came on with the resistors. I am planning on doing the same in this car as it appears to be the same airbag. I did not find the resistor trick mentioned anywhere during my searches, so I am adding it here for future reference.

Let me know what the scoop is on those spacers - thanks!

hmmm and that explains why my signal return and horn havent worked since i bought the car... good to know. So i'm all years as well. What do we need to do to fix this?

Dave
    E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

You will probably need two of them at that part number above in your post. I say that as I have not installed a M tech II wheel in my car. But my guess is you will need them both.

You take your airbag wheel off and pull out the white pin and spring with pliers. At this time I did an entire airbag delete on my car by pulling harness and ecu/sensors out as well.

Once you pull the wheel you will then slide one spacers onto the column shaft then install the wheel. The once the wheel is on slide the other spacer on the column shaft and then the washer and nut that held your old wheel on. This was how it was with both a MOMO wheel and the OEM Nardi Blackline I ended up going with. I tried using washers instead of the spacers but they made a lot of noise when turning the wheel left and right. So much so I could not stand it as it sounded like something was loose. Make sure to tighten the lock nut back to torque settings required ( I don't remember off the top of my head) but you can find it in the Bentley.

Comment

I unplugged the the airbag computer and the airbag light doesn't come on, no resistors needed.

Comment

Good tip - thanks!

Any more comments from those who have installed an M-tech II?

Originally posted by LovableSheep View Post
          I unplugged the the airbag computer and the airbag light doesn't come on, no resistors needed.

Comment

Any additional comments this weekend? I'm going to order parts on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by LovableSheep View Post
              I just broke the SRS light in my check panel

635csi Euro/Alpina B7S

Comment

Originally posted by =E30= View Post
                Any additional comments this weekend? I'm going to order parts on Monday.
                I just used washers from the hardware store

635csi Euro/Alpina B7S

Comment

search
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                  Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Read the thread before you post. I did search.
                    Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                    search

Comment

Originally posted by turboeta View Post
                      I just used washers from the hardware store
                      Any specs on the washer size... this is more appealing to me since i can have them as soon as i drive to the store.

Dave
                      E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Update:

Something slightly off the main topic but no less important came to my attention recently. Even though both the E30 and E36 steering wheels look extremely similar (stock airbag and M-technic II) they are not! The two pictures below illustrate the differences on the backside of the wheel. The E30 has the slip-ring recessed while the E36 slip-ring protrudes.

E36:

E30:

The left and right wheel spokes are different also. The E36 spokes taper, while the E30 spokes are constant width.

E36:

E30:

As you can imagine, I am a bit miffed that I purchased an E36 model by mistake, and now have it up for sale. I was going to post my installation results, but that will have to wait until I have sold the E36 wheel and have bought the correct one. Who knows how long that will take...
                        Last edited by =E30=; 03-28-2008, 03:32 PM.

Comment

wow that sucks... but rather funny at the same time. We all do dumb things every once in a while. Like the fact i figured my horn didnt work b/c i had the same issue as you, until i checked my fuse box and realized that the fuse for the horn wasnt even in there.

Dave
                          E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Hi guys,

I'm really struggling on my M Tech II install on my '91 325i. I have the correct spacer, but cannot get the wheel down far enough for the turn signals/horn/steering lock to work. It feels like the c-clip that holds the spring on the spline is up too high. I've tapped it down with a mallet, but I'm still about 1/8th of an inch away from where I need to be. I can push the wheel down to the appropriate depth, but it pops back up once the steering lock is released. Any help on this would be appreciated as I'm going crazy.

FYI, I just purchased the car. Only other variable I can think of is that the steering rack was replaced with a Z3 rack by the prior owner. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hi, I'm having some trouble with the airbag not working. wordle 2

Comment

Working...
                              X