volvo cupholder armrest in my vert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

volvo cupholder armrest in my vert

I've had one of these armrests in my 1987 4runner in the past. At that time, I took off the old armrest and used the same hinge point to mount this in the 4runner.
    To give credit, there is another e30 enthusiast on the internet that used some plastic parts to mount his armrest and inspired me again to try using one of these in my vert.
    Since I wanted to give a go at welding, I was able to borrow a Lincoln flux core welder from a friend. after welding a garden cart hinge and my kids small soccer goal at home, I started this project and this armrest would then be my 3rd try using the welding
    I spent about $14 at home depot on the 2-1/2 inch weld steel and found had an angle grinder at home.
    A few days ago I spent a few hours making this.
    Not a pretty site, but not as bad after I painted it.

One of my goals was not to have to drill into my console, so I chose to mount it to the small bolt that holds the center console in place under the rear ashtray and follow the angle of the plastic.
    I cut through half the thickness of the steel at each bend and used a bench vice to bend the steel and check angles, then welded the cuts.
    I then branched off the mount and welded a few pieces of metal to reach each of the 3 screws that holds the armrest together.

The two vertical supports under the center part of the armrest, are not equal length.
    The passenger side reaches the tunnel.
    The driver side sits on the center console just inside of the handbrake.

Hope this gives inspiration for anyone else wanting to give it a try.
Working...
X