No announcement yet.

FX-R Projector Retrofit, Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think TRS was working on a bixenon version of the s2000 projectors at some point, but part of the reason that they're so good is the reflector bowl focuses most of the light onto the non-cutoff area. So when you move the cutoff shield up, the results were pretty underwhelming.

I've been extremely happy with my FX-Rs, especially at their price point. I would like to clean up the install though as it's pretty ghetto and completely pales in comparison to what you're doing.

Comment

Hey good point, hadn't thought about the fact that the S2000 reflector could literally focus on low-beam performance instead of balancing hi/low.

Got any pictures of your setup? Sounds like it is working well, even if it doesn't suffer from the level of OCDness that my rig does lol.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Mine is super ghetto and basically isn't sealed at all. I cut the back off the ellipsoid housings, stuffed the projectors into it and mounted them with some screws, then just used aluminum tape to "seal" the back. And yes, whenever I wash the car they fog up terribly. It "works fine" but I'd like to redo it, as well as somehow fix the adjusters.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
          I don't know enough about this kind of stuff to tell which one is better. What makes a "better" beam pattern
          wider, sharper and more lighting down onto road.

Check out this sweet site full of comparesions.
          Here's fxr vs s2000.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
            wider, sharper and more lighting down onto road.

Check out this sweet site full of comparesions.
            Here's fxr vs s2000.
            http://www.jvxdriver.com/Oem%20S2K%2...ear%20Lens.htm
            See, I see very little difference in the two lights, yet you seem to claim that the s2000 is much better. Honestly, from those pictures, it looks like the FX-R is better, but like I said, I don't know what to look for in a "good" light. Just seems like the FX-R is putting out bright light over more of an area.
            Last edited by AndrewBird; 07-19-2014, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Nitro in your assessment about the FX-R being better you would be agreeing with Lowr3v'in. He is pro FX-R.

I'd add that the link provided compares an OEM Infiniti FX35 projector w/ FX-R clear lens to a S2000 projector. TRS FX-Rs are replicas of the OEM version; I don't believe there is a difference in the quality of light output though.
              Last edited by MyE30; 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Do you know if the beam patterns shown in there for the replica-FX are with the old 1.0/1.1 version, or the 3.0 version replica? I couldn't tell. The replica projector seemed to lose a lot of the light in the bottom-center, and I remember reading that they went to the 3.0 because the 1.x version had a flaw.

Comment

status update?

My money is ready for this conversion kit!

Comment

Your work is amazing. Sub'd in case you're gonna do a group-buy.

Comment

Any updates on these actually on the car?

Comment

Any updates?! How did it turn out?
                        I’m about to start a FXR retrofit and saw this thread. For the moment I plan to just make simple L brackets to hold the projector in, but I like your approach. Very clean!
                        1990 325ic - 5-speed, sport package, white on indigo
                        Other: 2006 RR full size SC

Past BMWs:
                        2002 M3 Convertible
                        2004 M3 Convertible
                        2003 X5 4.6is
                        2004 X5 4.4 Sport
                        2004 545i 6-speed
                        2001 330xi
                        1997 328is
                        1990 325is
                        1996 328i

Comment

I honestly wouldn't recommend FXR projectors, they're too big. Speaking from experience retrofitting mine, you will have one hell of a hard time resealing the headlight housing.

Either go LED or mini-H1. FXR is pretty old at this point, mini-H1 has pretty much caught up in terms of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                            I honestly wouldn't recommend FXR projectors, they're too big. Speaking from experience retrofitting mine, you will have one hell of a hard time resealing the headlight housing.

Either go LED or mini-H1. FXR is pretty old at this point, mini-H1 has pretty much caught up in terms of performance.
                            Once you put them in would you say you are happy with them?
                            From my research and seeing setups in person, the FXRs definitely outperform mini-H1s, and I’m willing to go through a bit more retrofit headache to get there.
                            I drive a lot on dark winding country roads and so low beam width is pretty important to me, and the FXRs are pretty good in that respect.

I’ll be sure to post pictures when I’m done :)
                            1990 325ic - 5-speed, sport package, white on indigo
                            Other: 2006 RR full size SC

Past BMWs:
                            2002 M3 Convertible
                            2004 M3 Convertible
                            2003 X5 4.6is
                            2004 X5 4.4 Sport
                            2004 545i 6-speed
                            2001 330xi
                            1997 328is
                            1990 325is
                            1996 328i

Comment

Originally posted by CT_e30 View Post
                              Once you put them in would you say you are happy with them?
                              From my research and seeing setups in person, the FXRs definitely outperform mini-H1s, and I’m willing to go through a bit more retrofit headache to get there.
                              I drive a lot on dark winding country roads and so low beam width is pretty important to me, and the FXRs are pretty good in that respect.

I’ll be sure to post pictures when I’m done :)

Mini-H1 have been through 5? generations, so be sure you're looking at the latest ones for comparison. Also depends on what you want with a projector. Mini-H1 have better on-center intensity than FX-R.

I'm pretty happy with my FX-R, however I do wish they had a little less width, and more on-center intensity. The E30 glass lens is probably not helping matters, since it scatters light slightly. So while the light output is great, every time I go out to my car after it has been raining, I cringe when I see the fogged up lenses, and makes me regret the whole ordeal...

I'm going to put this kit into my next set of lights:

They're much more compact, I can almost fit them inside of the current E30 housings after removing the stock projectors. Just required a little trimming of the LED projector's side tabs. Going to 3d print a simple back cover, and call it a day.
                              Perhaps not quite as good as the FX-R, however still light years better than halogens, and better than most OEM HID set ups.

Comment

I ended up canning this project and went with the Morimoto Mini conversion that another member here had developed using 3D printed parts and stuff. The Mini's light output is great and it was much more of a plug-n-play solution which a bunch of other members had tested and reported good results with.

Member glucklich21 has them on his site. Not sure of they are still in production.
                                Squared Motorwerks, your source for modern day lighting and performance solutions for your vintage BMW! Serving the BMW E30, E32, E34, E24, and E28 chassis.

Comment

Working...
                                X