Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staszek
    replied
    My car is in storage at a relatives house for the winter, unlike my garage which is heated and insulated this one isnt. Sooooo I started to work in the cold and moving fast I completely forgot to take before pics of my HID/Depo lighting.

Anyway quick teaser, rewired my H4 wiring and hooked up Shawdowline Motor sports H4 to H1 adapaters and relays with the R8 LED bulbs, pretty plug and play and now both high and low beams come on at the same time.

I will do more extensive night testing and distance, but with the R8's in the new hella buckets I am happy so far. The cutoff is really nice. More to come when it warms up.

High and low setup.

Soldered back on the old connectors and felt taped them.

Put in the R8's they wont fit with the OE caps, Shawdowline provided rubber caps

Lights on.

I know this doesnt give you the best idea yet, but I will do some distance test in the spring. I plan on testing against my E93 M3 stock HID. I know the E93 will be better but it will be interesting to see the two.
    Last edited by Staszek; 01-01-2020, 10:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
    I’d still consider. Best of the best. Especially if it’s driven.

The morimoto 2 stroke bulbs are decent. But I think the 9006 have fans that run. Ah nvm, Euros are H1. I think they done have fans.
    I hear you but if I wanted to hack them up I would keep the Depos. Its not a daily and wont really be driven at night or ever in bad weather unless I get caught out in a rain storm.

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    I’d still consider. Best of the best. Especially if it’s driven.

The morimoto 2 stroke bulbs are decent. But I think the 9006 have fans that run. Ah nvm, Euros are H1. I think they done have fans.

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
    I love Hellas, US or Euro.. but the morimoto projectors are worth hacking them up IMO. Especially if old, the reflectors are probably toast.
    These are brand new Euro Hellas out of the box.

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    I love Hellas, US or Euro.. but the morimoto projectors are worth hacking them up IMO. Especially if old, the reflectors are probably toast.

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    Originally posted by prisonerofdoom83 View Post

Let me know when you are ready to sell the depo headlights
    Probably after this weekend. I will write it up but its a nice setup, they are depos but they have Morimoto V7 mini lenses with the Square D adapters. The HID system is worth as much as the Depos lol.

Leave a comment:

• prisonerofdoom83
    replied
    Originally posted by Staszek View Post
    I will do some before an afters I went with the LEDs because now that I have real euro hella's instead of the Depos I didnt want to hack up the housings and put in the morimoto projectors. Going to sell that as a set. Even if its not brighter than the HID I will be a ton brighter than the old sealed beam H4s.
    Let me know when you are ready to sell the depo headlights

Leave a comment:

• djkostas
    replied
    On my euro smileys I went from halogen to LEDs to HIDs.
    Halogens where on the car when I bought it, pretty sure they were old.
    LEDs were top of the line 3 years ago (OPT-7) and I was quite happy with them, bright enough.
    Few months ago and few months after 2year warranty expired one of them burned out.
    I tried some of the cheap LEDs (C6 and similar) with disappointing results.
    Tried a cheap 35w HID set, still not bright enough.
    Now using a cheap 55w HID set, it's not too bright, but it's bright enough to go around at night.
    Next up I have been advised to use expensive HID bulbs with my cheap ballasts but will wait until one of mine burns out.

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    Originally posted by Conrad311 View Post
    Please do post up pics, I'm trying to decide on LEDs or morimoto route. I just sold my e83 with bi-directional xenons and hate the lights in our Fiat and e30 by comparison.
    Will do, its funny. I have HID in my E38 (new bulbs) and they are no where near as powerful as the HID in my E93 M3. It was night and day difference. When my wire got the F15 X5 with LED it put my E93 to shame (I know those are factory and much brighter than these aftermarket ones). My G12 brought LEDs up another level and are fantastic! I cant imagine what the laser lights are like.

I am doing the swap this week, hard part is I dont know it it will be dark enough out to show the difference. I will have to take pics in the garage.

Leave a comment:

• Conrad311
    replied
    Please do post up pics, I'm trying to decide on LEDs or morimoto route. I just sold my e83 with bi-directional xenons and hate the lights in our Fiat and e30 by comparison.

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    I will do some before an afters I went with the LEDs because now that I have real euro hella's instead of the Depos I didnt want to hack up the housings and put in the morimoto projectors. Going to sell that as a set. Even if its not brighter than the HID I will be a ton brighter than the old sealed beam H4s.

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    I do LED in high beams on some cars to get instant brightness vs the HID lag.

Still believe hid is brighter than led

Leave a comment:

• ZEKTI
    replied
    Another vote for Depos with Morimoto LEDs

Leave a comment:

• glnr13
    replied
    this is my history of head lights on my car:
    1. sealed beam OE
    2. sealed beam H1/H4 conversion
    3. depos with halogen
    4. depos with H4 led
    5. depos with mini morimotos + squared

each iteration got progressively brighter along with more prominent and cleaner cutoffs. I personally felt that the h4 led was better than the halogens. by far, the morimoto setup is the best and brightest, there is nothing that is brighter or cleaner but that all comes with a price tag.

Leave a comment:

• Caperix
    replied
    LED 's in halogen housing have the same issues as hid's in halogen housings. They are brighter but do not focus the light properly and will blind in coming drivers. If you want LED the best bet is a full light replacement for the sealed beam housings. I have a 7" jwspeaker light on my motorcycle, they are dot legal if you need to pass inspection & make a 5.75 light. There are cheaper option but that is what I have experience with. I also have the morimoto projectors in the depot housings, I do not think you will improve on this setup with LED bulbs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X