Repro Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repro Headlights

Hi, need opinion for repro headlights such as DEPO, DIEDERICHS, and JOHNS AUTOTEILE. are they any good? thanks

I had a set of Depo’s for years. They performed well, looked good and are inexpensive. The only issue I had was one light would sometimes fog up in me. I’ve since replaced with Hella but don’t regret Depo’s at all. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

hi, thanks for the info.

do you change it with brand new smiley? or something refurbished? thanks

Comment

Get the sealed beam metal buckets and you can install H4 and H1 lights.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
          Which is an excellent, often inexpensive way to go IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloF10 View Post
            I had a set of Depo’s for years. They performed well, looked good and are inexpensive. The only issue I had was one light would sometimes fog up in me. I’ve since replaced with Hella but don’t regret Depo’s at all. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            If the Depo's were so great, why did you go Hella? (aside from the fogging issue).
            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
              H1 low-beam 5 3/4" lights have been discontinued by every company.

Only Australian lights are available, but they're good only for RHD vehicles.

Comment

I have seen literally every type of headlamp for the E30 available on the European market in recent years.

In my opinion BOSCH euro headlights (smiley and non-smiley version) are the best headlights on the market. Followed by HELLA euro headlights. Depo and Diedrichs are noticeably worse made. The glass is thinner and shatters faster, the plastic parts are much more fragile, etc.

However, for a small budget I would still prefer the DEPO parts to an old, rusted pair of HELLA or BOSCH headlights. The light output is better compared to dull OEM reflectors and it is a big advantage if the adjusting screws can still be turned.

Need euro parts? Send me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e30_dan View Post
                  I have seen literally every type of headlamp for the E30 available on the European market in recent years.
                  Show a few non-ebay links for H1 low-beam headlights.

Comment

In my opinion BOSCH euro headlights (smiley and non-smiley version) are the best headlights on the market. Followed by HELLA euro headlights. Depo and Diedrichs are noticeably worse made. The glass is thinner and shatters faster, the plastic parts are much more fragile, etc.

However, for a small budget I would still prefer the DEPO parts to an old, rusted pair of HELLA or BOSCH headlights. The light output is better compared to dull OEM reflectors and it is a big advantage if the adjusting screws can still be turned.

hi, thanks for the feedback. do they (bosch and hella) still make new lights for e30?

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post

so if i want to use a LHD headlights for my RHD car, is is not adjustable? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sneakerism191 View Post

hi, thanks for the feedback. do they (bosch and hella) still make new lights for e30?
                        HELLA headlights are still available new (at least the late model euro headlights). However, a full set will cost more than $1000, unlike you find a very good deal. BOSCH sold it's lighting division to Automotive Lighting (AL) decades ago. They continued to manufacture E30 headlights under the E30 brand, but I guess production ended years ago.

Need euro parts? Send me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneakerism191 View Post

so if i want to use a LHD headlights for my RHD car, is is not adjustable? thanks
                          No. They will blind oncoming vehicles.

In the UK, you won't be able to pass inspections.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post

I think he means H4 lows and H1 highs, which is the most common sealed beam upgrade.
                            (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

HELLA headlights are still available new (at least the late model euro headlights). However, a full set will cost more than $1000, unlike you find a very good deal. BOSCH sold it's lighting division to Automotive Lighting (AL) decades ago. They continued to manufacture E30 headlights under the E30 brand, but I guess production ended years ago.
                              After Bosch and Marelli formed AL around 1999 they continued to manufacture E30 headlights until the present. I think they still do, but they are not available to order currently because they are on a super long backorder. There are photos of the new version here. They have an AL logo on the lenses now. That's a great improvement because I think the big BOSCH lettering was kind of tacky.

However, you can still order the individual parts from a BMW parts supplier in Europe to build a new set of AL/Bosch or Hella smileys. I think the AL/Bosch headlights are best, so that's my suggestion, except the AL/Bosch high beams are not available, so you'll need to order Hella for the high beams at least, unless you find some NOS Bosch ones somewhere like eBay. (I haven't been able to find a BMW part # for the Bosch high beams. An old Bosch part # is 1305331909, but I don't know if AL has a new part # for them.)

Edit: The AL/Bosch supporting frames are not available from BMW either, so you'll need to get Hella for those parts as well. The Bosch part #s for the frames are 1305544102 and 1305544103. The frames were also available with the mounting clips and adjusters pre-installed and the part #s are 1305544924 and 1305544925. There might be new Marelli AL part #s for them, but I don't know what they are.
                              Last edited by Andrew325is; 05-04-2022, 05:29 PM.
                              Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Working...
                              X