Gathering Interest - Custom Retro OBC gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update:

Working on a third microcontroller to try and run it. A Keystudio Arduino Uno copy with the SMD controller with the two extra analog inputs needed for three displays, as the screen itself requires four on its own for the touch functionality. If this works, this will make the gauge much simpler internally and remove the need for any solder on the inside. The board will be modified to accept signals from the backside as well.

Also working on running a housing from ASA, but having warpage issues. Gonna figure out an enclosure soon after some more PLA prototypes are sorted out.

Making progress, not quite there yet but close.
    Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Great idea, I'm interested for sure!

Would be fun to have a couple of built in screens that mimic either the 6 button OBC or the european analog clock.

1991 BMW 318is - AlpineWeiss II
      1991 BMW 318is - DiamondSchwartz
      1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Baikal
      2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 sport - Black

Comment

I'm also interested in a project like this. Looking forward to see how it progresses!

Comment

Be nice to have something canbus for aftermarket DME's

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

I love the 80's tech feel of it. Sub'd. Definitely interested

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Love the idea. Landed here because I was noodling on making something like this myself. I've done a couple proof-of-concept displays with Adafruit feathers running CircuitPython and have been pretty happy with the results. All I really want is for the temp to always show. 😆

Comment

Hey guys,

The first OBC gauge has been shipped out under testing and evaluation and further progress will be evaluated once it has been installed and tested in a car. I am at school and away from my e30, so that's why I cannot test it myself.

This project will continue with more units being available once the first unit receives a positive evaluation. Price of the first unit is the same as future units, $150 with free shipping including documentation, and some basic configuration of the firmware. Updates will come soon.

Thanks for your interest everybody!

Comment

Know I'm dredging up an old thread, but did this end up going anywhere? Seems very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by stc4life View Post
                    Know I'm dredging up an old thread, but did this end up going anywhere? Seems very cool.
                    Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't checked in here for a bit (but if you send me a private message, I do get an email notification!). I made the test unit and shipped it out, but have not heard back from the purchaser even after attempting to contact him. The first unit was built, tested, and shipped.

I am considering building one or two more if anybody is interested, just send me a message and we'll talk about features, sensors, and timeline.

Andre

Comment

Working...
                    X