Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radio Wiring and Amp Bypass

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Well, not sure what took the last 5 hours of my day, but:



    Sorry for the blurry-cam, but the new head unit is in and sounds amazing.

    Luke, I know you get this all the time, but you were so incredibly right. About everything.

    Getting rid of the amp and fader made everything better. I don't think my previous HU was that bad (it was really badly setup and connected), but just connecting the speakers directly to the HU fixed everything.

    I thought my tweeters were bad. They weren't, they sound awesome.

    I thought in general my stereo was weak and my car just got bad radio reception. False. Stock amp was filled with sand (from when I had the car stripped, sandblasted, and re-painted). The stock amp also has been made obsolete by modern technology.

    I added a ground cable directly to the back of the headunit and my radio reception seems to be amazing (after writing this I remembered that I also ran a new antenna cable, so that probably had something to do with it). That said, I haven't tested it too much. I haven't driven anywhere and my new HU has HD radio, so of course everything I was listening to sounded better (lots of HD radio in the DC area). Thinking about it, I was able to get in stations that I usually don't get from the house, so I am cautiously optimistic.

    Anyway, I am so glad I did this. It isn't that hard, and it was a Sunday well spent, even if the lawn didn't get mowed.

    I still have to get some blanks to fill in where I pulled the fader and I'm going to pull that dumb window switch the PO put in there that is wired to the locks. I'm going to copy the mic-in-the-blank mod that someone did.

    Next up, putting in my e36 window switches and vaders.

    Ooh yeah. Vaders. After that is done I might never leave my car.

    Comment


      Originally posted by FastAndLight View Post
      Well, not sure what took the last 5 hours of my day, but:



      Sorry for the blurry-cam, but the new head unit is in and sounds amazing.

      Luke, I know you get this all the time, but you were so incredibly right. About everything.

      Getting rid of the amp and fader made everything better. I don't think my previous HU was that bad (it was really badly setup and connected), but just connecting the speakers directly to the HU fixed everything.

      I thought my tweeters were bad. They weren't, they sound awesome.

      I thought in general my stereo was weak and my car just got bad radio reception. False. Stock amp was filled with sand (from when I had the car stripped, sandblasted, and re-painted). The stock amp also has been made obsolete by modern technology.

      I added a ground cable directly to the back of the headunit and my radio reception seems to be amazing (after writing this I remembered that I also ran a new antenna cable, so that probably had something to do with it). That said, I haven't tested it too much. I haven't driven anywhere and my new HU has HD radio, so of course everything I was listening to sounded better (lots of HD radio in the DC area). Thinking about it, I was able to get in stations that I usually don't get from the house, so I am cautiously optimistic.

      Anyway, I am so glad I did this. It isn't that hard, and it was a Sunday well spent, even if the lawn didn't get mowed.

      I still have to get some blanks to fill in where I pulled the fader and I'm going to pull that dumb window switch the PO put in there that is wired to the locks. I'm going to copy the mic-in-the-blank mod that someone did.

      Next up, putting in my e36 window switches and vaders.

      Ooh yeah. Vaders. After that is done I might never leave my car.
      Well hot damn...first, thanks!

      Second, I don't ever get tired of hearing I got to help someone, thanks again.

      Third, sounds like you are almost ready for a subwoofer!

      Congrats, man, good job.

      Luke

      Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

      Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

      Thanks for 10 years of fun!

      Comment


        Finally I have a head unit hooked up. I bought my 87 325i with premium sound but no head unit. I figured out how to hook up the speaker wires thanks to this thread. I ran new speaker wire to my fronts and used the fadder wires for the rears. I really don't think I'd of done it as clean and frustration free as I did without this thread.

        I was really surprised by how well the stock rear speakers sounded. The left front is shot and the other is alright. Didn't get the tweeters to work but I'm planning on buying new speakers to set that up properly.

        I am very pleased and just wanted to say thanks!
        sigpic

        Comment


          thanks for the wiring tried and worked but on a kenwood with blue tooth I used the amp and it works yes it does thx again

          Comment


            questions..

            I am starting this project after the previous owner has hacked all the wiring.. i I have removed the oil covered aftermarket amp from the trunk tons and tons of wires just dangling around it and it certainly did not work.. the HU powered up but never had any sound... Fader switch has nothing at all connected to it missing left rear speaker. Pulled head unit out of car and found 2 wiring harnesses.. the factory harness hacked up and the aftermarket harness also hacked up... thick gauge aftermarket speaker/sub wires inside the dash but not connected to anything.. i dont even know where to start... I'm pretty sure since the fader is not connected and there was an aftermarket amp in the trunk, that the factory amp has already been bypassed.. I'm literally about to tear out my entire interior and start to try and figure this out ill take pictures as i go but if anyone has any suggestions please chime in.. i'm a newb when it comes to car audio

            Printed first post to use as reference


            couple pics of what im working with

            Found this dangling inside the dash with only 1 wire connected it's heavy and looks to be from 1983 lol






            also can i solder and heat shrink my connections without issues? or is it recommended to use crimp connections? which i dont have lol
            Last edited by NeedaE30; 08-27-2013, 12:53 PM.

            Comment


              Crimp is far the easiest

              Solder and heat shrink
              Is cool and thin. When installed

              But get a pack of butt connectors
              And crimp away :)


              OO ||| OO + O w O

              Comment


                Radio Wiring and Amp Bypass

                Originally posted by 6670charger View Post
                Ok. Was hoping to not have to do all that due my limited time, but sounds like I have no choice. Based on what I've read so far, it looks like if I do what BlueBMW did I should be good.

                Since he had what I have (4 wires with no twisted pairs), it seems that his setup is what I need to do:

                Deck Connections:
                Car ---> Deck
                Red/Green ---> Yellow (12V Const)
                Violet/White ---> Red (12V ACC)
                Brown/Black x2 ---> Black (Ground)
                Gray/Red ---> Orange (Illumination)
                White ---> Blue (Antenna On)
                White ---> Blue/White (Amp On)

                Left Rear Speaker:
                (+) Radio: Yellow/Red ===> Amp: Black/Red
                (-) Radio: Yellow/Black ===> Amp: Black/Violet

                Right Rear Speaker:
                (+) Radio: Blue/Red ===> Amp: Black/White
                (-) Radio: Blue/Black ===> Amp: Black/Brown

                Speaker Connections:
                L/F + R/F speakers: New Wire directly from deck to speakers

                L/R:
                Speaker + ---> Black/Red ---> Yellow/Red ---> Green (L/R +)
                Speaker - ---> Black/Violet ---> Yellow/Black ---> Green/Black (L/R -)

                R/R:
                Speaker + ---> Black/White ---> Blue/Red ---> Violet (R/R +)
                Speaker - ---> Black/Brown ---> Blue/Black ---> Violet/Black (R/R -)

                If I understand this all correctly, basically, all the wires I have connected to the deck's speaker wires right now will become the pos/neg rear speaker wires, and I run new ones to the fronts. Assuming that this is correct, my only other question involves the door tweeters. Do these simply go away, do I run a pos/neg from the front speaker stereo wires to both the footwell speakers AND the tweeters, or do they get powered somehow through all the magic involved in the new connections in the trunk? I've seen a lot of reference to them with regard to determining what type of system people have, but nothing so far with regard to powering them once the bypass is done; only re-wiring the kickpanel speakers. Maybe I missed something?
                I have followed this and got my rears To work perfectly (88 cabrio as well). However, my question is do I NEED to run wire to the front speakers or can I do the same with the front speakers? Also what wires would I need to tap into?
                Transaction Feedback
                Various E30 Parts for Sale!
                Z3 Steering Racks for Sale!

                Current Fleet:
                -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS
                -1989 Bronzit Beige 325iS

                Comment


                  I am not 100% sure with early 'verts.

                  The big trick is you have to have 4 pairs from the deck to the speakers.

                  Check your amp input plug, see if you have 5, 6 or 8 wires from the deck to the amp.

                  Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

                  Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

                  Thanks for 10 years of fun!

                  Comment


                    Radio Wiring and Amp Bypass

                    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                    I am not 100% sure with early 'verts.

                    The big trick is you have to have 4 pairs from the deck to the speakers.

                    Check your amp input plug, see if you have 5, 6 or 8 wires from the deck to the amp.
                    Got 5 wires from the car to the deck and 8 pairs from the car to the amp
                    Last edited by ScottSneed; 09-27-2013, 01:38 PM.
                    Transaction Feedback
                    Various E30 Parts for Sale!
                    Z3 Steering Racks for Sale!

                    Current Fleet:
                    -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS
                    -1989 Bronzit Beige 325iS

                    Comment


                      I bought this receiver for my car, a 1986 BMW 325es. I bought it without a stereo.


                      http://i.imgur.com/XY5PrAS.jpg (click for huge)
                      This is what I'm working with, no idea how hacked up it is from the stock harness. Plug on the receiver is just a standard 16 pin Alpine.

                      Crutchfield says if I use this I can tap into the stock harness, for the speakers at least, but that appears to only connect two speakers, so would I buy two of those for the front and the rears? The big gray cable I know is for the antenna, and the white wire wrapped up with it raises up the antenna or something but I have no idea what everything else is supposed to plug into.

                      I've never installed a car stereo in my life before so I have no clue what I'm doing. What's the best way to proceed?

                      e: OK, it looks like I have the premium system, I have 6 speakers, the fader and what looks like an amp in the trunk but holy crap is it ever in an awkward location jammed up there behind antenna and all those brackets.
                      Last edited by rscott; 10-26-2013, 02:32 PM.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by rscott View Post
                        I bought this receiver for my car, a 1986 BMW 325es. I bought it without a stereo.


                        http://i.imgur.com/XY5PrAS.jpg (click for huge)
                        This is what I'm working with, no idea how hacked up it is from the stock harness. Plug on the receiver is just a standard 16 pin Alpine.

                        Crutchfield says if I use this I can tap into the stock harness, for the speakers at least, but that appears to only connect two speakers, so would I buy two of those for the front and the rears? The big gray cable I know is for the antenna, and the white wire wrapped up with it raises up the antenna or something but I have no idea what everything else is supposed to plug into.

                        I've never installed a car stereo in my life before so I have no clue what I'm doing. What's the best way to proceed?

                        e: OK, it looks like I have the premium system, I have 6 speakers, the fader and what looks like an amp in the trunk but holy crap is it ever in an awkward location jammed up there behind antenna and all those brackets.
                        Hey...I see you posted this a while ago...did you get it all handled?

                        Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

                        Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

                        Thanks for 10 years of fun!

                        Comment


                          Hahaha that was my very first bmw back in the day. Thanks for asking.

                          Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

                          www.roadreview.net

                          Comment


                            Edit: 1987 325e

                            So, I spent my afternoon in the car and failed to do much more than get the fader harness cut off and the stock stereo removed. From here, I'm at something of a loss.

                            I was not able to find the amp in the trunk (the only thing that was attached behind the antenna was the lamp control). I do have a fader, as mentioned above, which I have removed.

                            Here's the picture of my setup as it stands. I don't really know where to go from here, as it appears that I only have 6 wires leaving the fader, and I can't locate the amp in the trunk.

                            Last edited by ncsubowen; 12-01-2013, 05:52 PM.
                            sigpic

                            4 doors.. so much room for activities!

                            IG @bluebombr

                            Transaction Feedback:

                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

                            Comment


                              Upon further review, post #314 has my exact same setup. I'll test all the wires to make sure but it looks as if I won't need to run any more wires.

                              Will report results as soon as I can get back into the car.
                              sigpic

                              4 doors.. so much room for activities!

                              IG @bluebombr

                              Transaction Feedback:

                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

                              Comment


                                Amp?

                                Want to make sure I am cutting the correct plug. this is the amp correct?
                                http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps0581b326.jpg
                                The Lineup in order of appearance:
                                91 535i
                                91 318is 5 Lug/E46M3 Brakes
                                91 325is w/ S52
                                88 Vert Plastic Bumper Swap
                                88 M3 ;D
                                91 325ix 5 speed
                                89 Vert Royalblau Metallic
                                73 2002
                                1986 325es --> is swap Rallycross Car!!
                                1995 Chevy G30 Tow Rig... *I SOLD A CAR!!*
                                1993 525i Granitsilber Metallic Touring

                                Need a 91 M5 bad but wife would shoot me...twice

                                *UPDATE: got a 93 M5 and still alive

                                1972 Jeep Wagoneer
                                1975 2002 five speed

                                Check out:
                                Elhartspeedshop.com


                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X