X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• b1800e30m3
    replied
    Well got the stereo to stay on with the head light. Had a wire hooked up wrong from the head light dimmer. Still no sounds from speakers I'm thinking maybe bad headunit?

Leave a comment:

• b1800e30m3
    replied
    Even worse, when I turn my lights on the head unit goes off still don't have sound either but my Bluetooth speaker is working great till I get this figured out

Leave a comment:

• b1800e30m3
    replied
    What I'm confused on is if I need to run wires to the front lower panel speaker and redo my wiring at head unit so i power rear speakers?

Leave a comment:

• b1800e30m3
    replied
    I removed the oem amp and did the bypass per insructed in this post.

Leave a comment:

• parkerbink
    replied
    There is an oem amp in the trunk.

Leave a comment:

• b1800e30m3
    replied
    Checking now, it's just the amp that's built into head unit. Looks like a micro 10 amp, pulling and replacing it now

Leave a comment:

• parkerbink
    replied
    Check the fuse to the amp, failing that check the amp.

Leave a comment:

• b1800e30m3
    replied
    Just tackled this for the last two days, car is a 1990 318i convertible with premium sound.
    I followed bypass for the amp and have all my wires in the back connected to each other:

blue/red-grey/white, blue/brown-grey/brown, yellow/red-grey/red, yellow/brown-grey/violet, blue/black-black/white, blue/brown-black/brown, yellow/black-black/red, yellow/brown-black/violet.

then at head unit i have everything like op posted except one white wire going to amp that is not there is not connected and brown/black wire which i don't know where it goes? head unit powers up radio receives a stereo signal but no sound out of any speakers. PLEASE HELP

Leave a comment:

• thexfactord22
    replied
    Just did this today....This thread is bad ass, once you peel back the tape and find the wires twisted together its super easy!

Leave a comment:

• bobdavisnpf
    replied
    bpiersma, sounds like you're fairly close to getting at the stereo wiring harness. If you can pull up the driver's side carpet outside edge, you can inspect for damage. You can pull the rear side panels to see the rear speaker wiring as well.

Leave a comment:

• Flexx
    replied
    Originally posted by gath View Post
    I used this and it worked out well.

I own a 89 325is with premium sounds, amp and no external fader and was wondering if that was all you did?

I have the same set up but my sounds good at start up but 2
    Mins in the sounds starts to fade.

I have 4 sets of speaker wires, no orange/brown wires but the positive and negative wires wrapped both for front and back speaker wires to
    Make it easy.

Did you follow the write up?

Leave a comment:

• cspec
    replied
    Originally posted by Rontgen View Post
    Did this diagram work for you? I have an early build 1990 with premium sound and no external fader.

Thanks!
    Edit: This worked well for me!
    Last edited by cspec; 05-01-2017, 07:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bpiersma
    replied
    Forgot to add:

There is no in-dash fader.

Leave a comment:

• bpiersma
    replied
    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
    Yeah, that works...not ideal, but it works. There are so many different setups in these cars its crazy, glad you got through it!

Luke

Luke, I have what I think is a somewhat unique issue. I purchased this 1991 318i convertible with a crappy aftermarket HU already installed (OEM speakers and trunk amp). Thankfully the original HU was in the trunk in a box. I've now reinstalled that, double checked all the wires, but am getting no sound whatsoever to the speakers. Antenna powers up, HU powers up, but no sound. It doesn't look like the previous owner did anything to the amp (original wires and connectors). Yes, there is power to the amp (12V). I think I have premium as there are tweeters in the doors. My objective is to use the original HU and speakers (go back to stock). Does it make sense to bypass the amp and use the original HU?

Other facts that may be interesting: I have all the seats removed along with various other components of the car (center console, taillights). I cannot imagine that affecting the speakers, but maybe I'm missing something.

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance!

Leave a comment:

• Rontgen
    replied
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X