Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my solution for my '87 325is with premium sound - it doesn't have the same fader switch (with + and - to each speaker) mentioned in the first thread so it's slightly more involved:

Step 1 - get the Electrical troubleshooting manual for your year/model. It's online. It's free. Print out the appropriate 2 pages. If you skip this step you are really dumb.
    Step 2 - everything else.
    To bypass the amp You need to run new wires to the front speakers and re-purpose the wiring to the amp/rear speakers so you don't have to run all new wires to the rear. Keep track of your polarities according to the "Speaker wire color" list in the original post.

Fronts:
    Left +: Cut the gray/red a few inches from the connector at the kick panel speaker and run your positive to that. the other end of the gray/red is coming from the amp. it's dead to you now. Leave it dangling.
    Left -: Splice your negative INTO the gray/violet. I cut the wire a few inches from the speaker connector, stripped both sides, and put both sides into one side of a blue butt connector. I put my new speaker wire negative into the other side of the butt connector. Yes, a long section of wire coming from the amp will now be dormant, but I didn't want to track down where the splice connector was. Besides, Electricity, like the honey badger, don't give a shit. You'll see what I mean when you look at the wiring diagram.
    Right +: Positive to the gray/white as before.
    Right -: Negative spliced into the gray/brown, 3-way style, as before.

Rears:
    Basically you're re-purposing the 4 wires that go from the fader to the amp and instead using them as speaker wires. They're Yellow/black, yellow/red, blue/black, and blue/red. Re-Assign them to be your Left rear +, LR-, RR+, and RR- however you see fit, but write it down. These 4 wires go into the amp, which spits out 4 wires to the rear speakers (which you'll use) and 4 wires to the front speakers (which are now dead since you ran new wires to the front). So, you use your butt connectors to jump the 4 amp input wires to the appropriate 4 amp output wires going to the rear speakers. voilla! Instant speaker wires from the fader to the rear speakers, ready to go.
    Left rear +: black/brown at connector position 7 (see the tiny numbers on the face of the connector to the amp)
    left rear -: black/violet at 1
    right rear +: black/white at connector position 5
    right rear - : black/brown at pin 4. Note there are a couple black/brown so look at the numbers.

Good luck. Recheck my work before you do it yourself.

Comment

Addendum to the above: either the ETM and Luke were both wrong on the wire colors of the 12v+ versus headlight dimmer wire - or the germans who built my harness were a bit drunk that day. My "12V when the headlight is on" wire was actually red/green, and my "12v+ always on" was gray/red. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Gubernaculum View Post
        Addendum to the above: either the ETM and Luke were both wrong on the wire colors of the 12v+ versus headlight dimmer wire - or the germans who built my harness were a bit drunk that day. My "12V when the headlight is on" wire was actually red/green, and my "12v+ always on" was gray/red. Go figure.
        Thus my call to always check the wire...later cars changed at some point.

And yes, your "re-purposing" is correct, I think it may be somewhere in this thread.

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Yeah I got the idea from this thread, but I never saw a detailed explanation so I figured I'd put one up for posterity and maybe help somebody (like the poster right before me who did it the hard way).

Weird thing about the wire color problem is that my 87 doesn't match the 87 electrical troubleshooting manual. I think I just have a screwy harness - everything else matches the ETM except those 2 colors.

Comment

No, I have seen it many times, actually. I think it has to do with the beer served at the BMW cafeteria.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

I'm new to wiring and e30s do you recomend that I try this myself or take it to a shop? Btw i have a 85 325e so i think this post pretains to my car.

Comment

Premium sound vs. non-premium also makes a difference. Worst case you run new wires to every speaker. For a car that's probably worth about a grand (that's my case, at least), it doesn't make sense to pay a shop to do this unless you REALLY can't trust yourself to do it right. And then, do you trust the shop to do it better than you would on your own car?

Comment

Good point on the shop I doubt they can do it. Do i have to run new speaker wires I'd rather keep the stock wires. How do I tell if I have premium sound or not?

Comment

If you have front tweeters, you likely have premium sound.

Closing SOON!

Comment

No tweeters just the speakers by the floor which were replaced with some infinitys. And PO had a after market receiver (no longer in car) should I just go off of those wires?

Comment

There is no telling what the previous owner did - hopefully he did it right, but you'll have to figure that out. Think hard about how a stereo needs to be wired and what you have in your car. Get a volt/ohm meter, the bentley, and the electronic troubleshooting manual. Go to town. The community will help you out somewhat, but you have to try to figure it out yourself first so you can present a logical and intelligent question. You'll get it. And if you can't get it, you might need to reconsider owning a 27 year old car. Have fun.

Comment

(^wisdom!)

Pull out the deck and make a thread with pictures showing what and how it was wired.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Will do I'll get started on it sometime after Christmas and make a thread and hopefully help some other people out. And when I got there wasnt a deck just a hole with cut wires thanks for the info.

Comment

I re-read what I wrote and I hope you didn't take that last bit the wrong way (it sounds like you got what I was trying to say) - you don't have to be a genius to fix these cars, you just have to be patient, curious about how things work, and have a certain mindset. It's a good car to learn on. And you're spot-on about making a thread to help other people out if you find something interesting, weird, or helpful.

Comment

I have a 88 325ix. It has tweeters and a fader in the dash.

The wires back at the amp.

The wires up front. This is back a little ways so all the loops are eliminated. I believe the green and red wire is a hot battery wire, and thus it is not showing in the back.

From what I see it looks like I need to re-wire, but bimmer630 seems to have done it with a situation that originally looked like mine (no orange and brown wires). I went back on the amp wires about a foot and a half looking for the individual grounds for the each speaker. I didn't see any. Should I go back further, or do I just not have them? Just Scott doesn't say anything about tying in negatives to the speaker wires, but from what Luke is saying that seems necessary. Thanks for the help guys.

I'm a noob to forums and had an issue last time posting pics. In case those didn't work, here are the links

Comment

Working...
                                X