Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rahb View Post
    Well if your speakers are old and beat up and sound like shit, yes it is worth it. My car came/has 20 year old BostonAcoustic components in the front and replaced the blown rears with used premium speakers (from ebay) for cheap + lukebox and jensen5500 amp = FTMFW. Couldnt be happier, thanks Luke!

According to Luke, premium stock speakers sound as good if not better than any other speakers, so go with whatever u can get for best price. But u must get that Lukebox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah, that's what I was wondering. My speakers right now are shit. I have access to a full set of premium speakers. I was just wondering if it's worth it to buy some new ones.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
      Yeah, that's what I was wondering. My speakers right now are shit. I have access to a full set of premium speakers. I was just wondering if it's worth it to buy some new ones.
      My suggestion is to use the stock housings one way or another, so if your car isn't PS equipped, I say get them.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Wow. I just read through this entire thread and now my head hurts. I am for sure going to have to get one of the 12" boxes for my E30. Just need to get a few more maintenance bits done to the car first. I have not heard one of these boxes yet but given the testimonials I for sure want one. I am just glad I don't have to go through the hassle of designing my own box for the E30. I am not going to lie doing trial and error boxes can get really annoying LOL.
        CCW- when every second counts... The police are just minutes away!

Comment

luke, out of curiosity, why did you settle on a ported box versus sealed? if it was answered already, sorry i missed it.
          sigpic

Comment

Finally wired my speakers through the amp. Such an improvement. Still need to tune it, though.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Hey luke, I have a 91 318i sedan with garbage speakers, I'll be buying your box, but i had a question about the premium speakers... you keep referencing the premium e34 as the end all be all speaker for this car, but i can only find drivers for the e34, not the full enclosure for in the back. do i need to buy the e30 premium speakers for back, then just toss out the drivers that come in that and also buy the e34 drivers to put in them?

Comment

Yes, but honestly, unless you are doing our full EPCN, don't waste your money on the rears, the difference isn't that critical. Maybe I should say something like "do the rears as last priority if budget is a concern" but my goal is always to spend your money where it does the most good.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

One final (for now) question on the sub... I hear mention that porting the rear seat will give a more accurate bass note. I'm not interested in total volume, I'll probably never turn it up past half, but I am interested in precision. Should I hollow out the foam on the seat in front of the ski pass through? I wouldn't want to poke all the way through so that it can keep the stock look... will this actually make a difference, and if so do i want to just hollow out a few 3in holes?

Comment

Originally posted by theycallmebrown View Post
                    One final (for now) question on the sub... I hear mention that porting the rear seat will give a more accurate bass note. I'm not interested in total volume, I'll probably never turn it up past half, but I am interested in precision. Should I hollow out the foam on the seat in front of the ski pass through? I wouldn't want to poke all the way through so that it can keep the stock look... will this actually make a difference, and if so do i want to just hollow out a few 3in holes?
                    Opening the seat makes a huge difference in the sound, both precision and loudness. I would say that it adds probably 30+% to the volume. Mine buzzes the leather against the foam and sounds terrible when it's doing it so I run with my seat tipped into the back of my front seats most of the time... I need a ski pass seat.
                    -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                    08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                    318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                    '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                    Originally posted by roguetoaster
                    Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Yes, I agree, but even the worst offender, the full leather 'iS" seat is almost perfect with porting.

Just dont forget to use 4" ports, ideally two of them, and make them as short as possible so you don't introduce tuning changes

Closing SOON!

Comment

I am hunting for ski pass seat for the very same reason. Drove around without a back seat for a while and bass was extremely precise and low. With the seat installed and all the foam in front of ports removed, the bass even though quite low sounds muddy. the vinly flaps around adding an extra tone altogether. Sometimes I wish I had gone the 12" route :(

Comment

Rahul, you should port your seat. Find another seat if you must, but cut your foam down about 2" in the ski pass, make sure you don't go through anywhere and do 2 4" ports , try to keep them as short as possible to prevent interactions, and put them in front of the woofer, vertically.

Closing SOON!

Comment

non-premium sound car

+

Infinity Reference 1262w 12-Inch 1200-Watt

+

Planet Audio AC1800.5

+

E3012 Lukebox

+

????

= WIN ?!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                              Rahul, you should port your seat. Find another seat if you must, but cut your foam down about 2" in the ski pass, make sure you don't go through anywhere and do 2 4" ports , try to keep them as short as possible to prevent interactions, and put them in front of the woofer, vertically.

Picture of a gutted seat? How far do you guys cut out the foam? I have a Weller soldering gun with a hot knife attachment that seems to be perfect for the job.

Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Hot knife would be messy and smell bad. A sharp serrated bread knife or electric turkey carving knife works much better. Even a sharp utility knife works.

Comment

Working...
                                X