Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevinl View Post
    I ported my rear seat made a huge difference the sub was basically non existintent with the stock seat i should have done this 3 years ago

maybe one day ill find a ski pass rear seat but im not holding my breath
    I may one day port it with two 4" tubes. I don't think that I will find a ski-pass rear seat back to match anytime soon either.

Thanks,
    Stan

Comment

Hi and thanks for the great write up. This will be my first post.

My car 325i 1987 Convertible.

I have a couple of questions if someone could help me. (I tried to go thru old posts without any luck)

My car has or should I say had premium sound system somebody replaced stock speakers with some shitty aftermarket ones.

What I learned:

so the best option is the OEM premium sound speakers.

second best OEM premium speakers from E34

my problem is that I cant find part number for those E34 speakers that would fit rear and front.

part number 65138370935
      part number 65138375082

and if someone knows the part number for tweeters.

Thanks

Jaakko

Comment

JKastari,
        Welcome to R3V. This is probably the best place to get audio information for our E30s. That being said, The OP of this "How to install a killer stereo for $500" post Luke from German Audio Specialties (GAS) AKA; StereoInstaller1 is that great information. Hopefully, you plan on buying one of his subwoofer enclosures for your convertible..without it I would just go stock..they are that good. I would also buy the PCN from him also. You don't have to get expensive/fancy with the amp or HU..that is the beauty of this system.
        Check out all of Luke's tutorials especially this: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...83&postcount=1

From what I have found, the E34 mid bass driver #65138370935 is the driver to have with the original premium drivers coming in second place out of the two.
        As far as tweeters go I bought Dayton Audio 1" silk dome tweeters for my application #ND25FN-4 from Parts Express. I also have heard that the E34 tweeters were fairly good also #65138375085.
        I own a 318is coupe so, I can not help you with what fits where in a convertible as far as rear speakers go. E34 drivers fit in all four corners of my car. I used rear Premium housings as my car had the crappy 318is drivers with no tweeters.

Luke is the man on all of this and I am sure he will be around shortly to advise.
        I would do what ever he recommends. He is the shit and has real world experience working on design and installation of audio systems in early model BMWs to include E30 convertibles.
        Read all of his posts and visit his website: http://www.germanaudiospecialties.com
        Thanks,
        Stan
        Last edited by The White Guy; 01-12-2016, 02:42 PM. Reason: Ad info.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinl View Post
          I ported my rear seat made a huge difference the sub was basically non existintent with the stock seat i should have done this 3 years ago
          Care to share any pics of the ported seat?
          Originally posted by 36brua
          Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...
          Patryk:up:
          Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 325is ///M-Tech II
          08 VW .:R32
          04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Stephen did a thread a few years ago, I don't even know his screen name LOL

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Thanks Stan,

and thank you, R3V has been great help for me almost every single thing I've done to my car. This was the first time I had to clarify a couple of thing and finally joined.

I think I will order pair of E34 mid bass drivers so I can try if they fit rear too.

yeah I red StereoInstaller1 tutorial how to upgrade the system. I will do it, Just have to save some money first. I still have to rebuild the AC system too :/

Thanks again

Comment

Don't try to use the E34 midbass without some sort of crossovers....

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Hi,

at some point I will build GAS system. I just want to make sure that I dont buy something stupid that I have to redo later.

The deal is this. previous owner put new cables from all the speakers. All the old ones are still there so he didn't rip them out.

What would be your solution for this try to find old premiums or get whatever fits. or e34 premiums. Sorry I'm a bit retard when it comes to car stereos so crossover is something new to me. I thought you could just change the speakers and hook them up straight to the deck.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by JKastari View Post
                    Hi,

at some point I will build GAS system. I just want to make sure that I dont buy something stupid that I have to redo later.

The deal is this. previous owner put new cables from all the speakers. All the old ones are still there so he didn't rip them out.

What would be your solution for this try to find old premiums or get whatever fits. or e34 premiums. Sorry I'm a bit retard when it comes to car stereos so crossover is something new to me. I thought you could just change the speakers and hook them up straight to the deck.

Thanks for your help.
                    OK, first, welcome to R3V!

Second, I highly recommend you not use deck power for anything, not only is it gutless, but it can't be tuned properly, plus it loses its settings if your battery goes flat, so it can be a pain in the butt.

Third, all speakers use crossovers. A home speaker is basiclly 3 things: an enclosure, some "drivers" (the speakers themselves) and a "passive crossover network".

All car speakers have them too, or any that are worth listening to. In the E30 Premiums, the crossover is located on the speaker itself, in the E34 (and all other BMWs for the most part) it is located in the factory amplifier.

We have found that the E34 midwoofer is the best performing driver that fits the E30 chassis, so we decided to build a very specific crossover network for that exact driver.

Hopefully all of that makes sense...if not, let me know!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Hey Luke, your 10" box works for the e30 m3 right?

Comment

Originally posted by The White Guy View Post

I did a basic amplifier mount and installed it onto the "Lukebox" enclosure. I used EZ-LOK threaded inserts installed into the MDF.

I then screwed rubber isolation mounts into these inserts.

I then mounted the amplifier onto the mounts with locknuts.

It is spaced 1" off the subwoofer enclosure surface and rubber isolated. I am hoping that this will help with the air circulation/cooling of the amp and vibration absorption..I'm and old man who won't be thumping too hard, so hopefully this will work out.
                        Time to get to wiring it up. GAS local PCNs at each corner with E34 mid bass drivers and Dayton Audio ND25FN-4 silk dome tweeters. Also fabbed up a dash mounted subwoofer remote control just like Luke did.
                        Thanks,
                        Stan
                        I like your amp mount idea. Look like the rubber engine cover mounts on the later straight sixes.

Have the same amp, yet it still sits in it's box waiting to be installed tomorrow. Hey, I'm an old guy, even older than Luke.

But not as old as The Bluntster!

Comment

Originally posted by Rouvld View Post
                          Hey Luke, your 10" box works for the e30 m3 right?
                          Yes, M3 trunk is the same inside, only the rear deck has changed

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post

Have the same amp, yet it still sits in it's box waiting to be installed tomorrow
                            What the hell man, you've had that forever, why isn't it in yet?(she said)
                            Hey, I'm an old guy, even older than Luke.

But not as old as The Bluntster!
                            Oh.

Closing SOON!

Comment

I like your amp mount idea. Look like the rubber engine cover mounts on the later straight sixes.
                              Thanks, we will have to see if they are strong enough over time. I might have to step up to the larger size I have which are M6X10 studs. These are 10/32" studs.
                              I got the idea from BMW. That is how they isolate/affix my exhaust pipe bracket to the rear of the transmission.
                              Stan

Comment

Got the trunk tar out today and realized my IE rear sway bar mounts are going to interfere with the Lukebox. Anyone else have this issue? Really don't want to have to modify the box, but it's only about an inch or so on each side.

Comment

Working...
                                X