Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    In case anyone comes across this thread looking for pics, here’s a link I found from GAS: http://www.germanaudiospecialties.co...o-for-500.html

    Comment


      Originally posted by raj View Post
      in case anyone comes across this thread looking for pics, here’s a link i found from gas: http://www.germanaudiospecialties.co...o-for-500.html
      thank you!
      1990 325is
      m52b28
      3.73lsd
      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

      Comment


        404
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

        Comment


          it was there a year ago
          1990 325is
          m52b28
          3.73lsd
          g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

          Comment


            Just a quick comment here. It took me a while, however I finally have amazing sound in my e30.
            *I was lucky enough to find a Luke box.
            * I went with a Continental Head Unit as I wanted the lights from the head unit to be as close as possible to the rest of the dash lights. (The dash lights are a reddish orange, whereas the head unit is more of a sherbet orange. Not a match as far as I'm concerned, but still era correct [emoji106]).
            * I used a Planet Audio 1800.5 Amplifier. I used the original oem speaker wiring to the speakers, and wired the head unit wiring to the high level inputs on the amp.

            * I was thrown back at how good the sound is! I haven't tuned it yet, and am excited to hear everything after the tune..

            No hissing, no rattling, just clean rich sound!

            Im guessing that Luke won't read this however Luke, thank you for this thread. Thanks to all the people who contributed to this thread as well, as it was a huge help to me being someone who is not great at this stuff (especially having to figure out what to do with oem wiring/aftermarket wiring, along with oem and aftermarket parts all put together.

            I'm really happy, cheers!

            Comment


              installs in a post lukebox world

              Since a Luke has moved on, does anyone have any thoughts on the best alternative to a luke box?

              Comment


                I was wondering if anyone has the dimensions to the box? Then we can just make our own.
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

                Comment


                  Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                  I was wondering if anyone has the dimensions to the box? Then we can just make our own.
                  urrg. If I make a box and post the dimensions, cut plans and what glue to use, would most of you have access to a circular saw? (if not, walmart has one for like $25)
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by george graves View Post
                    urrg. If I make a box and post the dimensions, cut plans and what glue to use, would most of you have access to a circular saw? (if not, walmart has one for like $25)
                    making the box isn't hard. It's knowing the dimensions for the speaker that is being used is the hard part.

                    When It comes to wiring, I'm a complete newb.
                    1990 325is
                    m52b28
                    3.73lsd
                    g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                      It's knowing the dimensions for the speaker that is being used is the hard part.
                      Surely you don't mean the speaker hole. I think you mean the interior volume. You could easily have a spreadsheet that refers to dimension A, B and C with a bunch of volume calculated. Then you just build your box to those dimensions.
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by george graves View Post
                        Surely you don't mean the speaker hole. I think you mean the interior volume. You could easily have a spreadsheet that refers to dimension A, B and C with a bunch of volume calculated. Then you just build your box to those dimensions.
                        of course, so if the volume can just be calculated, why hasn't anybody replicated these boxes? Im no audio aficionado by any means, so I'm here to learn.
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd
                        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                          of course, so if the volume can just be calculated, why hasn't anybody replicated these boxes? Im no audio aficionado by any means, so I'm here to learn.
                          Why hasn't anyone sold boxes? Well in part because they are a PITA to ship. But if someone wanted to make ~$1000 in a weekend, they could. I'm surprised no one has stepped up to do it.

                          But it's so much easier to make your own box, and learn. If you screw up, it's a $20 mistake. Rebuild and make a different one.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X