Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head unit with amber lighting, bluetooth for ~$100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head unit with amber lighting, bluetooth for ~$100?

I don't care about amps and all that. I just want to wirelessly stream from my phone and I don't want a rainbow dancing across the dash... must have red lighting on screen and buttons. I used to have a Sony in my E36 that had the all red backlighting. Is there something out there that fits the bill?

TIA
    Current: Brilliantrot '91 318is M20B25
    Former: '88 M3 3.2L, '91 318is 2.0L, '90 318i, '85 325e 2.8L, '84 318i 2.0L, '84 318i, '90 325is
    wamchenry@gmail.com
    insta: @simple_machines

search is your friend. and anything that cheap wouldn't even be worth the time it takes to install
    Much wow
    I hate 4 doors

Comment

Look into JVC. I think they have on like that but its 120
      harry/harout

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
        search is your friend. and anything that cheap wouldn't even be worth the time it takes to install
        Dude seriously? I have a JVC HDR61 in both my E30 and my MINI and it is awesome. I got it on sale for around what the OP is looking for as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
          Dude seriously? I have a JVC HDR61 in both my E30 and my MINI and it is awesome. I got it on sale for around what the OP is looking for as well.
          but then you also have to buy the bluetooth module on top of the $100 price
          Much wow
          I hate 4 doors

Comment

I think it was like 50. But that is indeed a valid point.

Comment

jvc kdx50-bt no cd, w/ bluetooth

Put one in a e36, lcd and leds bright as hell, sounds good, cheap...

100$

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
              PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post

jvc kdx50-bt no cd, w/ bluetooth

Put one in a e36, lcd and leds bright as hell, sounds good, cheap...

100$
                How well does the amber match? Looks like they are only $84 on amazon.

Comment

Oh look, ten threads down...

Originally posted by agent View Post
                  The JVC is $84 at Amazon.
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

anything that cheap wouldn't even be worth the time it takes to install
                    Why is that? Do NOT tell me it has anything to do with sound quality. All of these HUs use the same crappy 4-channel amplifier ICs that start to clip at output levels above 14W (at the rated 50W, the output resembles a square wave). I repeat, all head units are functionally the same, $50 to $400. The only differences are in the extra features, the name of the brand and the decoration level of the face plate. All members of a manufacturer's HU lineup for a given year have the same PCB, with a few ICs left off for the cheaper HU variants of the lineup.

For example: a lot of times, a more expensive version of a HU will advertize having 6 RCA outputs versus the base model's 2. The only difference between them is that the one with 6 outputs has $0.50 worth of DAC ICs, some resistors and the bigger RCA header (the cheaper model has the same PCB, with those components left-off). I've had enough of them apart, as well as the manufacturer's schematics, to know this. A more expensive HU is better in the same way that a more expensive watch is better. They all tell you the time perfectly well, but one is nicer to look at and you might get bragging rights with your buddies.

OP, just go find the cheapest HU that fits your criteria. They are all the same thing.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                      Why is that? Do NOT tell me it has anything to do with sound quality. All of these HUs use the same crappy 4-channel amplifier ICs that start to clip at output levels above 14W (at the rated 50W, the output resembles a square wave). I repeat, all head units are functionally the same, $50 to $400. The only differences are in the extra features, the name of the brand and the decoration level of the face plate. All members of a manufacturer's HU lineup for a given year have the same PCB, with a few ICs left off for the cheaper HU variants of the lineup.

For example: a lot of times, a more expensive version of a HU will advertize having 6 RCA outputs versus the base model's 2. The only difference between them is that the one with 6 outputs has $0.50 worth of DAC ICs, some resistors and the bigger RCA header (the cheaper model has the same PCB, with those components left-off). I've had enough of them apart, as well as the manufacturer's schematics, to know this. A more expensive HU is better in the same way that a more expensive watch is better. They all tell you the time perfectly well, but one is nicer to look at and you might get bragging rights with your buddies.

OP, just go find the cheapest HU that fits your criteria. They are all the same thing.
                      I never said go nuts and get a $400 HU. and you will always here me say never run off of the power IC. but having an eye sore in you dash bc you didnt want to speed an extra $75, i dont understand. 6 RCA out is a must, not an option.
                      Yes generally most are very similar but not all last as well, are as easy to use or have the same quality of DACs. and getting a HU with BT in it and under $100 means the manufacture is cutting corners somewhere. bc they sure arent taking a loss
                      Much wow
                      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Alpine 7894. Switchable from green to amber. Matches perfectly. No bluetooth though. I have one I will sell if interested.

Comment

6 RCA out is a must, not an option.
                          Not for the OP, as he clearly said he doesn't want/need an amp.

Comment

I love my JVC. Bluetooth & perfect amber color built-in. (and I'm an old-school Alpine guy)

Comment

So the JVC color adjustment affects both the buttons and the LCD, correct?

For $85 on Amazon my search is complete.. it's functionality is built around smartphone use and that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks guys.
                              Current: Brilliantrot '91 318is M20B25
                              Former: '88 M3 3.2L, '91 318is 2.0L, '90 318i, '85 325e 2.8L, '84 318i 2.0L, '84 318i, '90 325is
                              wamchenry@gmail.com
                              insta: @simple_machines

Comment

Working...
                              X